[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Linux
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 5
File: Linux-Mint-Cinnamon-Start-Menu.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Linux-Mint-Cinnamon-Start-Menu.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
What is the best Linux distro, and why is it Linux Mint?

>easiest install
>sensible base settings
>well polished
>works out of the box, no need to install crap if you don't want to
>excellent, useful, pre-selected programs
>supportive community
>prefers stability and reliability over oooh, shiny! syndrome

Let's face it, without new users, linux is dead. Linux Mint gives even the most technically impaired person access to free software and a chance to improve themselves. What more could one ask for? Isn't that what Linux stands for?
>>
>Linux Mint

Security sucks
>>
>>53681880

You must be new here then. Try your post again with xubuntu
>>
>>53681880
>why is it Linux Mint?

Because you can't install Gentoo.
>>
>>53681880
Kill yourself
>>
>>53681880
>Why is it Linux Mint?

It isn't. Their website was hacked and users downloaded hacked ROMs of Linux Mint for like a day.
>>53681902
Agree with this guy.
>>
>>53681902
>>53682145
As if Debian and other distros hadn't had even worse security issues. Don't play coy with me.
>>
>>53682207
But you're the one talking about Linux Mint.
Security over features.
>>
>>53682222
who's going to use an OS that doesn't have the features users want? Nobody. Then what are you defending? The empty, lifeless OS that nobody uses
>>
File: Ian 2015-12-31 22:11:46.png (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Ian 2015-12-31 22:11:46.png
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>53681880
>>
>>53682306
>implying you can't have an OS that doesn't have great security and lots of functionality
Basically, most Linux distros that aren't Linux Mint and Ubuntu.
>>
>>53681880
For now wait until next month for LTS 16 Ubuntu.
It will go amazing with gnome 3.20
>>
File: drink til u want me.png (597 KB, 699x490) Image search: [Google]
drink til u want me.png
597 KB, 699x490
The best distribution is the one that works best for your particular use case with regards to your preferences and skills/knowledge.

If you like Mint best then that probably just means you're a new user that doesn't like the mainstream yet still feels drawn to something she thinks will impress those that are in the know (it doesn't btw)
>>
File: linusmintisrael.jpg (144 KB, 957x421) Image search: [Google]
linusmintisrael.jpg
144 KB, 957x421
>>53681880
>>
>>53683091
i use mint for political reasons although technically in a stallmanic sense its not completely "free"

stallman has praised various Ubuntu based distros w/ the tracking "features" gutted out
>>
>>53682484
Or maybe you're a full time software engineer who doesn't want Windows because of its god awful support for many development tools, but also don't want to spend hours debugging something that some retard put in the kernel that no one uses but you and three other people in the world.
>>
what would be a good open source alternative to google calendar? I want something for my desktop that sync with my android phone.
any help?
>>
>>53681880
Eh, Mint is fine.
I'm using Arch anyways. Feels comfy
>>
>>53681880
>hacked
>almost used as a real botnet
>bad security practices all bundled into one iso
>normies entry point

Also, linux doesn't need new users, it has a greater market share and serves more people around the world than your WinCuck or iCuck malware.

KEK, try harder
>>
>>53683400
caldav
>>
>>53683173
You'd use Ubuntu.
>>
>>53683691
I'd sooner put my hand in a garbage disposal and use my remaining hand to turn on the switch.
>>
Why in this day and age would I use 14.04
>>
>>53683759
Then you want to be seen as cool. Mint is literally the same shit as Ubuntu
>>
>>53684110
Nope, I just like mint.
>>
>>53684271
You only hate Ubuntu because it's popular.
>>
LINUX MINT, BECAUSE FUCK THE JOOS

lol
>>
>>53681880
mint + mate = home sweet home
>>
>>53684327
lol
>>
>>53681880
they hate jews

honestly it's 2016 already how can one live with such biases?
>>
>outdated kernel
>outdated packages
>upstream hell

At least they give init choice, I give them that
>>
Xubuntu is the best beginner distro, Mint is too bloated and has a weird update policy. Otherwise it's ok.
>>
Xubuntu or Ubuntu Mate, m8
>>
it's not, Linux Mint is for Winfags
>>
File: 1458901621363.jpg (90 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
1458901621363.jpg
90 KB, 400x300
>>53682484
>>
I didn't know the Mint dev hates Israel.
>downloading mint iso now
>>
The devs actually recommend using obsolete kernels forever because they're too retarded to test them to make sure they don't break packages.

The devs don't post security advisories so end users are left completely in the dark about exploits.

The devs name their customized packages using package names that already exist and then blacklist the original package so end users cannot resolve dependencies against those packages without compiling them from scratch.
>>
>>53684482
/pol/ is proud
>>
>>53684540
/leftypol/ too
>>
I've been enjoying Lubuntu since I installed it, no gnome.
>>
fluxbuntu is gonna be awesome
>>
>>53684527
Holy fuck, they're even worse than I thought.
>>
>>53681880
ayy lmao OS is the best.
>>
>>53684527
>The devs actually recommend using obsolete kernels forever because they're too retarded to test them to make sure they don't break packages.
Yeah, I believe it have something to do with the X server stack.

>The devs don't post security advisories so end users are left completely in the dark about exploits.
>implying end users read them
>implying these advisories aren't the same as the Ubuntu system Mint is based on.

>The devs name their customized packages using package names that already exist and then blacklist the original package so end users cannot resolve dependencies against those packages without compiling them from scratch.
Yeah, sucks, but they are working on it. I heard the only major package that exhibited that behavior was mdm, their display manager.
>>
>postulating an initial open ended question then changing the question to one that seeks validation for your own opinionated answer to the initial question disregarding that the initial question is open ended and thus has no definitive answer
>>
I had to have my mom install Ubuntu for me, I can't wait for fluxubuntu because i'm to scared to try and install fluxbox through the command prompt.
>>
>>53685485
fluxbuntu is gonna be great is a oldfag meme, you dip
>>
I use Mint on my personal computer, it's fine if you update regularly. There are a lot of devs working on it. Maybe not as much as Ubuntu or Debian, but enough to suffice. I really like Mint, functionality is valued over interface. Good wifi drivers as well, the main reason I switched from Ubuntu to Mint. Ubuntu's wifi compatibility is fucking shite.
>>
it's the best out-of-the-box experience for newbies, and mint-update in particular is great

however, if you're more experienced with linux, why not just install cinnamon on ubuntu (or your distro of choice)? it's not like unity or pantheon, it works just fine on other distros. i get the impression a lot of people think it's like pantheon and don't bother installing it, even though it's a great DE (and what gnome3 should have been IMO)
>>
>>53682343
Can you give examples? Legit asking since I used mint for a few months now and I want to switch.
>>
>>53682207
No they haven't
The other distro with a major fuck up like mint was was manjaro asking users to set their clocks back.
Both are derivative works led by incompetent devs.
>>
>>53682145
That shit was found and fixed in one day. If you downloaded via a torrent or checked the hash after you downloaded it directly, you would have been unaffected.

Even large companies take longer than a day to recover form shit like that, and no website is unhackable. If you say it is then you are a fool.
>>
>>53682145
>It isn't. Their website was hacked and users downloaded hacked ROMs of Linux Mint for like a day.
Literally who cares? I ran mint before that, and the hack didn't change my opinion of it in the slightest.
>>
>>53686045
This is /g/
That person probably uses windows 10 and just acts like they know gud linux distros
>>
>>53684303
I only hate Unbuntu because of Unity. Cinnamon is just so much better, and KDE Neon doesn't have a live disc for me to try out yet.
>>
Only distro I can't get along with is Fedora. What the fuck is up with yum being so goddamn slow and why do I have to run some 3rd party fedy shit to make my distro usable?
>>
>>53684433
This
Xubuntu is nice and lightwight but feels a bit outdated at times
>>
>>53681880
>why is it Linux Mint
Backdoors
>>
>>53683144
>w/ the tracking "features" gutted out
So any *buntu distro without Unity?
>>
>Still uses outdated gtk
Literally the only issue
I mean, besides hacked websites
>>
>developers trying to make linux usable for literal retards, forgetting that the appeal of linux is that it's supposed to sacrifice user-friendlyness for customizability

Debian and slackware only distro

Manjaro if you're a noob
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.