[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 31
File: 1458598080930.webm (1 MB, 720x404) Image search: [Google]
1458598080930.webm
1 MB, 720x404
This thread was created to prevent anons from spamming new threads, for technology questions they have.
If you are that person, post your simple/small/stupid questions here

Don't bump. This is a slow board, and will continue to be. Wait for an answer or google it.

If you see other anons posting questions outside this thread, ignore or redirect them here
Use >>>/g/sqt as a link to find the sqt thread
>>
File: 1454634291407.jpg (35 KB, 444x444) Image search: [Google]
1454634291407.jpg
35 KB, 444x444
Hey guys, /g/ convinced me to order an SSD and I got it!

Now, I DO know how to install windows on it and make it the boot drive. What i DONT know is: should I remove my windows 7 installation off my current HDD afterward (to save space once it becomes my main storage drive)? Is that even possible? Is that the norm to do once my new windows install is on my SSD?

Also, I figure it's better to give my SSD a fresh install instead of cloning my current HDD installation, yeah?

Thanks bros, google was giving me shit for a question this specific
>>
File: Lenovo ThinkPad X220 Tablet.jpg (116 KB, 1600x901) Image search: [Google]
Lenovo ThinkPad X220 Tablet.jpg
116 KB, 1600x901
Was there ever a screen for the x220t that didn't have ghosting? Whether it be an original SKU, or a replacement model.
It's not that big of a deal, but it'd be nice to get rid of it.
>>
Where can I get a windows 7 home premium 64bit iso
>>
6P vs s7 Edge? I like the cheaper and sleeker Nexus. The s7 is so much better at video and close on still shots. It's also newer and the size is a bit better. I don't game often so the processors are basically the same to me, I think.
>>
where are some places where i can download 25+ year old files? they fascinate me greatly
>>
>>53681912
oops sorry forgot to read about the clean install part my bad.
>>
>>53681912
>What i DONT know is: should I remove my windows 7 installation off my current HDD afterward (to save space once it becomes my main storage drive)? Is that even possible? Is that the norm to do once my new windows install is on my SSD?

Sorry about the first reply i had to delete because I am a dumbass that can't read the whole thing at once and had to reply on impulse.
First It'll depend what kinda partition table you have on the HDD
If its not GPT then
Way I've done is shrink the main partition and made another one with the freespace and then delete the windows partition.

check 50 times before you modify the Partition table though.
>>
>>53681912
oh and the entire point of making that second partition is to move your files on the HDD OS so copy those before getting rid of the OS partition .
>>
If I have corrupt windows files, whats the easiest way to repair them if I am computer retarded?
>>
>>53682331
Your best bet is to recover an earlier version using a data recovery application. Corrupted files themselves are typically derped pretty hard.
>>
Using html, how do I play a video from an array using the <video> tag?

I have the array setup like this:

var Episodes = new Array();
"f/f/source.mp4";

How do I do something like this?
<source id=episodes[] type="video/mp4" /> 
>>
Been posting in a few of these threads, after trying literally everything and coming up clueless. I think I'm just going to get rid of this and house fire, noise and temps are disgusting anyways. I've got roughly 300 what CPU and mobo should I get? I'm pushing a 380 and I'll be streaming a bit too
>>
>>53682042
http://minnie.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/utree.pl
>>
>>53682353
Why is your video in an array?
>>
>>53682373
I have several videos that I want to play through but I can't even get 1 to play, so I wanna get that out first so I can write something to make it skip the finished video.
>>
Asked in previous thread but... can my power supply be the culprit of hangs? Not enough power I mean. And with hangs I mean Chrome getting blank pages for a while, taking a long time to load. While this happens I can't browse any folders also, the loading bar goes really slow. Street Fighter 5 gets long ass loading times also when it is loading a match. I can still move my mouse, music keeps playing, it kind of functions but yeah.

I have tried browsing folders on all my hard drives but it happens with all of them.
>>
>>53682388
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10668399/play-next-video-in-an-array-on-ended

Seems to sum it up pretty well.
>>
>>53682413
Not really. If a PSU isn't capable of the required TDP (total draw power) it'll just shut off. It sounds like some sort of inefficiency with your system (CPU/RAM probably).
>>
>>53682415
yup I've tried that and it really didn't help. It's using a different method to what I wanna do.
>>
>>53682372
neat, thanks
>>
>>53682436
Thanks. I only have 4 gigs currently. But it even happens with just a few tabs open.
>>
>>53682472
Chrome is a bit of a memory hog. Does it also happen in other browsers (i.e. Firefox)?
>>
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Yghzbv

I want a teeny tiny build with wireless mouse and keyboard to hook up to TV and watch YouTube and other stuff. Will be going GNU/Linux.

What can I improve? I expected it to cost less, honestly, I know there's something horribly wrong
>>
Is it normal for chkdsk to hang for a while? I've ran chkdsk /R on my main 2TB drive (900GB free) and it started fine enough maybe increasing a percentage every minute but it has now been sat on 10% for a few hours. The circle is spinning so it hasn't outright crashed but this seems rather long.

Windows 8.1
i5 6500
16gb RAM
Seagate barracuda 2TB drive

The main reason I ran chkdsk is because my disk usage would sit at 100% all the time and was told this could fix it
>>
>>53682553
Do you really need the DVD drive? Also, if you're going for a media server or something you'll want better storage. But if you're just streaming content then the rest looks fine.
>>
I have a very silly question /g/
Is it possible to emulate a lower end device through an high end pc?
For example, let's say I want to see how a specific cpu performs, or a given amount of RAM. I run a program that slows my xeon build with 16 gigs of ram to operate like a celeron with one or two gigs of ram. To see what kind of tasks can it run and the overall performance.
It would be useful if someone has to buy a small tablet or a notebook, and wants to see if it will run a certain application.
>>
>>53682553
>I expected it to cost less, honestly, I know there's something horribly wrong
this looks like a destitute emu build ,for that you won't see a difference between an SSD and HDD.
>>
>>53682570
Yes, I really need it.
No, I just want it to be a little PC running GNU/Linux so I can shitpost in desktop threads and rice and such.

Looks fine? Do I really have to spend $300 dollars? Like, are there any worthwhile CPUs with integrated graphics other than $70 Pentiums?
>>
>>53682620
Virtualbox. You can set the number of cores it utilizes as well as the amount of RAM it has. You can't emulate other CPUs though. The best you can do is manipulate the clock speed it gets to use and the number of cores it utilizes. A Xeon is obviously going to outperform a Celeron easily, but there's really no way to genuinely emulate a CPU other than the one you're using.
>>
>>53682631
A $70 Intel CPU is as low end as you'll want to go. Given that the entire build is essential hardware (and low end hardware at that) you'll be hard pressed to find it much cheaper.
>>
>>53682653
>You can't emulate other CPUs though
won't QEMU do that? or was that just different archs.
>>
>>53682653
thank you anon, that was fast
>>
Hey I feel kind of stupid but I had a tooth that was bothering me so I tried to remove it with pliers, unfortunately it didn't go as well as I thought, now the broken part is below the gumline and I can't easily grab it with my pliers and it hurts quite a bit. What would you recommend I do in this case? I can't go to a dentist since I've been blacklisted from most of the ones in my area already and don't think I'm fit to drive with all the shit I put in my system to numb the pain, so I kind of have to settle this myself right now.
>>
I have a Macbook pro running yosemite.I have downloaded a dmg file from a torrent(its a game) and inside there is a text file(preferences script) where I should make some changes to change unit sizes (the game is empire total war) but I cannot because it is read only.I tried to change the permissions of the file is says read and write but my script editor says it is read only and if i just use text edit it ignores the changes and resets itself.Could anyone help me?Also is the el capitan upgrade worth it or will it slow my system?thanks!
>>
>>53682678
To emulate an entire CPU you'd need its entire infrastructure in some form, which you can't just download. It's proprietary tech.
>>
>>53682712
Doesn't DOSBOX do that? Is it just using some known processors?
>>
Is there a good reason for motherboards to be locked to a specific CPU socket?

Would it be possible to build a universal motherboard with modular CPU sockets that can be replaced to fit any CPU? Or is it impractical for some reason?
>>
>>53682736
DOSBOX only emulates 32 bit CPUs, and has a limited range of (very old) CPUs it can emulate. I don't think it can do a Celeron (which is what anon wanted to use).
>>
>>53682753
Oh yeah, I was just asking to know if that's what it was really doing.
>>
>>53682745
AMD has backwards compatible CPU sockets. AM3 can utilize AM2 and AM2+. By modular socket, there's no way you can just swap it out, as it would require a restructuring of the north/south bridge's functionality.
>>
>>53682553
>>53682570
>>53682624
>>53682631
>>53682671
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/J6xBsY
Is this any worse, or will it still just work?
>>
I've never done web development before, so now I'm trying to figure out php.
How do I debug this shit? I'm trying to echo things but I have no idea where it's supposed to show up. It sure isn't showing up in the firefox console or in firebug.
>>
>>53682783
250W PSU is cutting it pretty close, but for your purposes it should be alright. Looks pretty good for what you want to do
>>
You know that feeling when you hold something sharp in between your eyes but not touching? I've got a headache that basically feels like that almost constantly. What causes this?
>>
I remember in older mpv threads there were only 3 presets, I'm looking for the highest one.

Anyone has it?
>>
I'm starting Java and I can't fucking figure out why this isn't working:

long mul15 = (intN - 1) - ((intN - 1) % 15);
mul15 = (mul15 / 15) * ((15 + mul15) / 2);
System.out.println(mul15);

If intN starts at 100 then it should print out 315, but it keeps returning 312 instead. I put this in Excel to confirm and yes, Excel is giving me 315.

Is there some dumb rounding thing I don't know about? I've been stuck on this shit for like four hours.
>>
>>53682948
Try: (long) ((intN - 1) - ((intN - 1) % 15));

I'm decently sure that'll fix it. You're setting a long equal to an int. You want to cast it to a long.
>>
>>53682992
I missed a parenthesis I think.

Correction:
long mul15 = (long)((intN - 1) - ((intN - 1) % 15)));
>>
>>53682992
Oh, sorry. intN is actually already a long, it's just named that from an earlier version of the code (and because it is only supposed to be an integer).

I did test that and I'm still getting 312.
>>
>>53683051
Actually, I just played with the parenthesis on the second line and changed it to this:

mul15 = (mul15 / 15) * ((15 + mul15)) / 2;

I moved the divide by two outside the parenthesis and that worked and I got 315. Why did that fix it? Order of operations should have stayed the same?
>>
>>53683085
No, because the 2 is now outside the second parenthesis set, so the order of operations is now the multiplication and then division after 15 + mul15, instead of multiplying by (15 + mul15) / 2.
>>
I'm dual booting a laptop with Windows 7 and Debian, with each OS on its own drive. I use 7 for school stuff and Debian to download media. If I'm stupid enough to download something that had malware on it while on the Debian side, if it's not able to run because it's on Linux, it won't have any chance of infecting my Windows drive, will it?
>>
I have a Macbook pro running yosemite.I have downloaded a dmg file from a torrent(its a game) and inside there is a text file(preferences script) where I should make some changes to change unit sizes (the game is empire total war) but I cannot because it is read only.I tried to change the permissions of the file is says read and write but my script editor says it is read only and if i just use text edit it ignores the changes and resets itself.Could anyone help me?Also is the el capitan upgrade worth it or will it slow my system?thanks!
>>
>>53683246
If it's inside the .dmg you can't modify it. You need to copy that file somewhere else, then edit it.
>>
I'm planning to buy a new monitor. Found a guy offering two 24" Full HD LG monitors for $120. The only 'downside' is that it has VGA input only. I've read that monitors that have VGA only are shitty. What's the deal? I don't have a graphics card so I'm not really into that HDMI/displayport game. Might get one for some light gaming though. Should I buy this or it being VGA means it's shit?
>>
>>53683341
Could you tell me how?
>>
>>53682859
Nevermind, found the option that I needed:

video-sync=display-resample
>>
>>53683412
>being VGA means it's shit
yeah
anything without dvi or hdmi is pretty shit
>>
>>53683341
I moved the file to my desktop edited and put it back still resets
>>
I have experience in R/Python but not a CS-major and have yet to fully understand the strength of other programming languages. Is there a short video / article comparing the most known languages and explaining their strength and weaknesses? That would really help me.
>>
>>53683504
how to reinstall windows 10 wanna get rid of manufacture bloatware
>>
>>53683461
mount the dmg by right clicking on it and then open it in a finder window, drag and drop it to wherever and then edit it.
>>
There's a cool looking, semi-obfuscated bash command that's been floating around here for a while that'll completely format / fuck up your harddrive. Anyone have it? Pretty sure it involves /dev/random or /dev/urandom.
>>
>>53683470
Damn. Well alright thanks.
>>
>>53683479
http://myjeeva.com/best-possible-way-edit-read-only-dmg.html
>>
>>53683640
<bash>
/dev/random
/dev/urandom
</bash>
>>
There's some weird behavior related to my music files on OSX.

I have one specific album, just one, that sounds completely distorted on modern OSX music players. So Vox, iTunes and some other paid music players out there. However this music sounds perfectly fine on older players like Cog, CMUS, anything on Windows or Linux and even my phone is just fine with it.

After converting that music to anything else, it sounds fine too on these "modern" players. But I'm still curious, what could it be?
>>
File: 1445131134892.jpg (1 MB, 1600x1067) Image search: [Google]
1445131134892.jpg
1 MB, 1600x1067
Is a AMD FX-9590 4.7GHz 8-Core OEM/Tray Processor good for gaming?

I want one of the best CPU's that can handle heavy video editing and gaming.
>>
If you have a sample of inputs and outputs from an unknown algorithm, is it possible to brute force the algorithm used to generate them?
>>
File: 496265.png (12 KB, 390x470) Image search: [Google]
496265.png
12 KB, 390x470
>>53683777
>amd
>gaming
>>
>>53683777
No, but at least it's good for heating your room.
>>
File: power-consumption2.png (358 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
power-consumption2.png
358 KB, 600x600
>>53683777
>>
File: WPLVGZB[1].png (19 KB, 1683x107) Image search: [Google]
WPLVGZB[1].png
19 KB, 1683x107
Why does the stickywiki suggest this about Linux gaming?
>>
What's a good /g/ aprooved gaming monitor? That's doesn't cost too many sheckles. .
>>
>>53684066
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824136116
>>
Is 1mbps uncapped ADSL good for coding and programming? I also do long video skype calls. I watch youtube a ton aswell.
>>
Is really "Yandere simulator" a game you should let a 15 year old girl play?

I been trying to dont be that guy blocking all anime websites, tumblr and stuff like that but its not like i can block her everything or deny her games.

>>53684066
Budget? Size? Resolution?

A simple 1080p@60Hz IPS monitor?
>>
>>53684354
not really, unless you watch 240p videos.
>>
>>53684354
1Mb or 1mb?

Cause both its not enough, 3Mb should be enough for it but you will notice problems.

5Mb is the minimum you should get to dont have problems.
>>
is there any way I can connect a wiimote to my Android phone on 6.0 via Bluetooth?
>>
>>53684395
1Mb and 1mb is the same.
>>
>>53682563
Bomp
>>
Are there any search engine alternatives to Google that aren't DuckDuckGo? Their image search is fucking terrible.
>>
So... what's a good motherboard for like $0-130? I'd like it to have USB 3.1 gen 2, SLI, and M.2 32GBit/s support. I found an ASUS one (https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z170-A/) for $140 but the USB gen2 port is at the back and I reckon I'll be using it often. Does plugging in an extension cable keep it at the 10Gbit/s USB 3.1 gen 2 speed?
>>
File: 4Mbps.png (12 KB, 503x114) Image search: [Google]
4Mbps.png
12 KB, 503x114
>>53684395
>>53684370
So this then? are they telling the truth? There's a lot of scammers in my country. Can't be too careful.
>>
In HTML, how would I make half of a question mark a link and the remaining, the dot, a link to something else?
>>
>>53684546
4Mb should be enough for what you want to do but no idea.

Where do you live? i am from mexico and i get 12Mb for $12.
>>
html - how do I use <video> tag to play array item?
>>
>>53684577
South Africa. I'm checking this site out. They seem legit. https://www.webafrica.co.za/adsl/
>>
>>53684546
that's shit anon.
My phone internet is faster than that and I have the cheapest option.

Get something with at least 20-30Mbps. It's still slow compared by todays standard but its okay for casual use.
>>
hi i understand im probably the bane of your existence here but this is babby's first linux and i was going to go with manjaro, my question is what the difference between XFCE and KDE is?
>>
File: 14589448307241452666868.jpg (2 MB, 2368x4208) Image search: [Google]
14589448307241452666868.jpg
2 MB, 2368x4208
If I'm adding a internal hard drive do I need to put in another sata wire from it or just Connect it tithe other hard drive? Pic is a sata wire
>>
>>53684548
overlay two links and hide parts of it with overflow hidden.

>>53684592
add an event that after playing finished it starts playing the next one.
>>
>>53684365
Yes, a simple 1080p 60hz monitor.
>>
>>53684611
I doubt he can get 30Mb on south africa for cheap.
He is paying $60 for 4Mb and you want him to get that.

>>53684599
Is that the only ISP around? you might want to search for some reviews of people you know that use them.
>>
>>53684641
What do you mean?
Just connect the sata cable to the HDD and the other side to the motherboard.
Also connect the cable from the PSU.
>>
>>53684655
Nah there's plenty. I'll do more searching.
>>
>>53684641
That's the SATA data cable. You'll also need a power connector. Check your PSU cables for availability, you should find at least one there.
>>
>>53684655
Didn't see that he said south africa.
Just looked at some other ISPs, one had 8mbit for 20 euros.
Not sure how much that is based on the income in south africa though.

Didn't google put some balloons down there for free internet?
>>
>>53684681
You might want to search a better offer because 4Mb for $66 is really expensive and not that fast.
I dont know how things are in south africa but it doesn't seem that good for the price.

For what you are going to use around 5Mb is just perfect if you dont want to spend a lot.

Other than speeds you need to check the quality the ISP gives you.
You can have a good internet speed for cheap but doesn't help when you have lots of problems with it and its unstable.
>>
What would be a good entry level liquid cooling kit for a cpu loop?
>>
>>53684738
Alright thanks.
>>53684713
I sure hope google did. I'll need to talk budget with the people I'm going to be moving in with. Maybe I'll be on here tomorrow.
>>
File: mbledta.jpg (25 KB, 631x171) Image search: [Google]
mbledta.jpg
25 KB, 631x171
>>53684655
For one thing I'm not mad in this country and that's our connections :) (All of those with unlimited data)
>>
What software can I use to simply Auto-Move files into alphabetical folders?

ex.
Files: Axx.xx, Bxx.xx, Bx2x.xx, Cxx.xx
some software that auto moves Axx.xx to folder A, Bxx.xx and Bx2x.xx to folder B and Cxx.xx to folder C (the software shall auto create these folders)

I've been searching for over an hour and tried a bunch of different programs, nothing works, someone please just help me.

.bat commands/files don't work I just get access denied.
Please.
>>
>>53684801
But you cant pirate stuff with it.
>>
File: 1422941426902.jpg (506 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1422941426902.jpg
506 KB, 1920x1080
Any good videos explaining object orientated programming?
>>
Whats the best cross platform (linux/android/windows/mac)msging service? Trying to get rid of steam shit.
>>
>>53684854
Sure you can if you don't go crazy with it (500-1000Gb+ /month).
>>
>>53684625
to add on this, where can i get download links for manjaro? they use sourceforge and its busted atm
>>
>>53684648
Around $150 is fine for you?
>>
Can I get that windows 10 toolkit thing that removes telemetry and all?
>>
>>53685032
You cant really remove them, reduce them? yes, but they are built in the OS.

>>53684648
Asus MX239H ($190)
Asus VS248H-P ($160)
Asus VS239H-P ($150).
>>
>>53682331
Either what Anon said above, or use a recovery disk. If may have shipped with your computer, otherwise your local PC shop will be able to get one for you.
>>
>>53683626
when i edit it then i have to set it back to read only?
>>
>>53682413
Try CCleaner. It'll clean unused files and can make your computer faster.
>>
Fair warning, this might be a really stupid question.

If 5.1/7.1 headphones are just a shit gimmick compared to stereo headphones, then why are 5.1/7.1 speaker setups good compared to stereo speaker setups for a home theater? Is the difference really all that great?

And as a secondary question: what kind of speakers, if any at all, would you need to hear the difference between regular DTS and DTS MA?
>>
File: Dvdisaster.png (1 KB, 24x24) Image search: [Google]
Dvdisaster.png
1 KB, 24x24
I used DVDISASTER to scan some blank CD-RW, and got this error:
>Search aborted
>Sense error: Illegal Request; Invalid field in cdb.
>Impossible to consult the TOC size.

So, this software can test only recorded discs? I wanted to know if the disc is in good state, so I could know if it can be used for recording!

Similar problem I had:
>Search aborted
>This software does not support media of the type "incomplete CD-RW".
>>
>>53685164
Still trying to recover those old porn videos?
>>
>>53685181
No, I said
>blank CD-RW
>>
>>53682553
>http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Yghzbv
Or you could get a Raspberry Pi.
>>
>>53682413
RAM/HDD problems.

Not PSU related because you would have system instability rather than slowdowns.
>>
>>53685148
Think about it. When you use headphones even the 2.0 stereo ones go all the way over your ears. Dual speaker setup then again only plays from the front and surround from all around you.

But yes 5.1/7.1 headphones are crap. Don't touch em.
>>
>>53684879

Yes. Youtube has some.
>>
File: map-525349_640.png (38 KB, 640x380) Image search: [Google]
map-525349_640.png
38 KB, 640x380
On Google Maps, I accessed one store file, and it had a link "view inside", but really it was a "Street View". How can I report this mistake?
>>
File: download.png (1 MB, 1100x618) Image search: [Google]
download.png
1 MB, 1100x618
Does someone have the 'has science gone too far?' image of the rt-ac5300 for me?
>>
File: Help.png (52 KB, 1066x655) Image search: [Google]
Help.png
52 KB, 1066x655
>>53681674
No images are showing, as you can see in pic related. I've spent 15 minutes looking through the 4chanX settings but couldn't find anything to fix it.
>>
what's the best free firewall?
>>
How do I minimize dust entering my pc?
>>
>>53685338
try different browser
>>
>>53685338
Do you have uMatrix?
Chrome?
>>
File: 8u9ujiasd].png (70 KB, 1087x677) Image search: [Google]
8u9ujiasd].png
70 KB, 1087x677
>>53685361
>>53685370
But I love Firefox and refuse to use Chrome. The images did load in Chrome if that helps
>>
>>53685351
You can do everything with windows firewall? There's good software out there to control it.
>>
>>53685351
Tinywall?
>>
>>53685377
what happens if you disable 4chanx?
>>
>>53685351
iptables
>>
>>53685377
Do images load in firefox private mode?
>>
>>53685338
>>53685377
can you press F12 and look in the network tab if there's an attempt to load them or none at all?
>>
text file in library hidden folder in mac OS X yosemite,I have changed permissions to read and write but script edit keeps saying its read only I am editing it but keeps resetting itself what do?
>>
>>53685407
private browsing doesn't disable addons by default on firefox. and i don't think cookies has anything to do with it.
>>
File: 1450330555725.jpg (21 KB, 628x676) Image search: [Google]
1450330555725.jpg
21 KB, 628x676
>>53685402
>>53685407
>>53685409
>>53685419
I fixed it, "werk time" was enabled somehow, which stopped images from showing. I must have hit the keyboard shortcut for it accidentally, as I never opened settings. Thanks for the help though
>>
anyone have a link to win 8.1 with all the updates so i dont have to download them all? thanks, im kinda bummed finding a good one
>>
>>53685451
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8
>>
>>53685451
>win 8.1 with all the updates
is there such a thing?
>>
I just installed a new water cooler for my cpu, but was too lazy to put water in it, so I just used beer I was drinking. Is this ok?
>>
>>53685475
yes, just don't forget to keep refilling it after the CPU finished drinking it.
>>
>>53685475
which beer? make sure it's the good stuff
>>
>>53685388
how?
>>
Did anyone figure way to get thumbnails for webm files?
>>
>>53685467
Yes but is better to use a clean ISO.
>>
>>53685666
https://github.com/neojam/WebMindexer
>>
Alright, I've got a good one.
I'm on my new build right now. My first time with a graphics card and I plugged my monitor into the correct spot and everything.
HERE'S THE ISSUE:
It's not going widescreen. It was widescreen on my old PC, which was a shitty dell inspiron 3874 (or some order of those numbers).
The best I can do right now is 1280x1024 and it's driving me up the wall. Nothing looks right.

Pls help.
I did need to use an adapter for the cord though, if that helps.
>>
>>53685800
Monitor settings>force widescreen

Anyway check your videocard drivers.
>>
File: DSCN0568.jpg (3 MB, 4940x3420) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0568.jpg
3 MB, 4940x3420
>>53681674
are there any 3+ in 4k+ monitors with the ability to rotate into portrait mode?

I'm currently using two Dell u2414h one on top of the other for a total of 2160 x 1920 with a width of 21 inches and I really like the size but the bezel in between is bugging me

this is my current setup. I still want to make use of the ergotron dual stacking arm that I bought somehow

any suggestions?
>>
>>53685848
Dell P2715Q?
>>
>>53685800
Did you install drivers for your video card? If you didn't, your OS can only do very basic vision on it, just about enough to download actual drivers.
>>
>>53685877
>>53685817
Oh, that's probably it. I haven't shoved in the disc that came with the card yet. Thanks.
I didn't know diddly SHIT about drivers before a couple of days ago and I'm still obviously retarded about them.
>>
>>53685915
You might want to install them from your videocard site so you get updated ones.
>>
>>53685943
Will do. Thanks again, mate.
>>
What are the best video editors with a free trial? I remember I've used on that was good but I don't remember what it was. It had a green interface
>>
>>53685752
>https://github.com/neojam/WebMindexer
thanks
that's pretty shit solution though
it would be better to use separate file browser
>>
>>53686043
Shortcut is free IIRC.
>>
>>53685876
>27in

Getting an eizo forris monitor that size eventually

I would like the width to be comparable to the two 1080p monitors combined.

also I'm rather surprised there are no 16:10 4k monitors at all. maybe I should wait until manufacturers actually decide to make some in the superior aspect ratio
>>
File: one.png (125 KB, 697x445) Image search: [Google]
one.png
125 KB, 697x445
My wifi signal has gone down by a lot since I reinstalled Windows

Im using a PCIE wifi adapter (pic related) and Im using the same drivers for it as I was before

About a week ago I was playing CSGO online with no hiccups whatsoever, and now I see small pictures visibly loading piece by piece and youtube videos having to pause and buffer frequently

Whats the best way to position my antenna? Also any other advice is welcome
>>
File: Exact_Audio_Copy_Icon.png (36 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
Exact_Audio_Copy_Icon.png
36 KB, 256x256
When using Exact Audio Copy, do I need to close all other programs?
>>
>>53684525
pls help
>>
I'm getting 8 gigs of 1333 mhz ddr 3 ram for my new build for free should i use it or go higher frequency? (i pulled the the trigger on hasewell so to late)
>>
>>53686707
1x8@1333MHz?

Just get whatever is cheaper and use XMP, RAM is RAM, also 2x8 so you have dual-channel.
>>
>>53686724
Not him but I wonder:

Is there that much difference between single and dual channel?

I currently have an 8gb module I bought a while ago along with the rest of my "new" build. I was thinking of putting another 8gb because I actually happen to need those.
>>
>>53686724
Alright. it was i think 2x4 total of 8 gigs 1333 mhz. Sorry forget to add that. I just been reading about games running better on higher frequency ram is is why i asked.
>>
>>53686788
The only case where the ram speed has helped in perfomance is fallout 4.

But if you want to spend $1 more in extra speed, why not?

Try going for 1600-1866MHz ram.
>>
I have kingston hyper cloud x II and I have to unplug and plug it in again to use the microphone and lately while using it suddenly i hear this weird sound like sssssp and then suddenly the microphone and the headphones stop working and then only the headphones work and so I unplug and plug it in again and this time the headphones AND the microphone don't work and the 7.1 surround sound activating button on the usb sound card box thing turns off and i can't press the button to activate it, everything just stops and I have to restart my computer entirely for it to come back..

Also sometimes if I just change the microphone device and change it back after the mic stops working it'll start working (not guaranteed) but after a bit both the headphones and the microphone both disappear from the playback devices and recording devices list.

anyone know what's going on and how to fix it?
>>
File: shia_transformers_3.png (336 KB, 861x674) Image search: [Google]
shia_transformers_3.png
336 KB, 861x674
I have an external storage filled with files I'd like to keep private. What's a good way to lock or hide these files? They're all mp4 Webm and pics.
>>
>>53686809
Ok thanks for the information and help.
>>
My PC is 5 years old and not the most powerful thing out there. I'm wanting it to be powerful for video editing/rendering, not really for gaming.

>i5 2390-T 2.70GHz
>8GB RAM
>AMD RADEON HD 6450 (lel)

What is the best way to upgrade it? Or should I just say fuck it and buy a new PC
>>
On pcpartpicker in compatablity issues it says "Some Intel H81 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Haswell Refresh CPUS"

I know nothing about BIOS, will I need to mess around with that stuff? Should I re-do my build to accommodate for that?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/8WGCsY
my build
>>
>>53686916
>Or should I just say fuck it and buy a new PC
If you have the money, yes.

>>53686924
Not all of them do but yes, some need one and depending on the maker (MSI, GA, ASUS) you might have to do it for some haswell refresh CPUs like the G3240.
>>
Is there any recourse for a freetard who needs a functional smartphone but also doesn't want google to datamine literally every sms i send and receive?

Can I use privacy guard with cyanogenmod to lock google out of datamining me, at least in part? I need the google play store for work and my day to day life
>>
>>53686916
if you got the dosh for it, go for a high end workstation
>>
>>53686963
Do you know if I'll need to do it with my motherboard and CPU?
>>
>>53686924
I bought an H81 motherboard 4 months ago and I can tell you that it usually has the latest BIOS already installed so you might not need to worry about that at all.
>>
>>53686924
You should go for the WD Blue 1TB($25 more) and/or the EVGA 430W ($1 more).

>>53687091
It depends on what firmware it comes with, but you can download the BIOS here:
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/H81M-E34.html#down-bios

If it comes with the latest, then you wont have a problem at all.
>>
I have an XML document with a CSS file for styling, I want to display an image when I open the document in a browser and I found a way to do it but it prevents my document from being fully validated by my DTD, is there a way to do it while still keeping my document valid?
>>
>>53687120
>on what firmware
On what version*

>The BIOS
The latest BIOS*

Man i need to sleep.
>>
if I'm looking at getting a power bank, what brands are generally considered good?

Also what kind of things should i be looking for in a powerbank? Not to familiar with battery terminology.
>>
>>53682346
>>53685113
I don't have a previous point. It happened after I downloaded a rootkit and restored my PC. It's never been the same.
>>
>>53687228
Anon when you download a rootkit/ransomware you dont restore, you do a clean install after DBANing the HDD.
>>
>>53682355
Anyone?
>>
>>53687228
corrupted files aren't really fixable m8, you'll have to reacquire them, and now you know the value of backing up files you care about
>>
File: fullscreeninwindow.png (678 KB, 1679x1049) Image search: [Google]
fullscreeninwindow.png
678 KB, 1679x1049
can I make the youtube video full screen only in the left window, i.e. not full screen on the whole monitor. I am on a MBP and it works on OSX, but not in win7, any solutions?
>>
Is anyone else experiencing issues with Malwarebytes? For some reason it stopped opening completely. I installed it again but the issue persists.
>>
>>53682355
read logicalincrements.com

A I5-4460 and a MSI Z97 PC Mate should do unless you want a M2 Slot, then get a GA-Z97X-UD3H.
>>
>>53687307
no, as the name implies full screen uses the whole screen
>>
>>53686996
ubuntu touch is free as in freedom.
Else you got sailfish OS, but the UI is closed source.

I'll give you a tl;dr :
if you want android apps : sailfish OS
if you don't care of android apps : ubuntu touch
>>
>>53686916
Guess you can buy a quadro or firepro. Maybe faster ram depending on your motherboard/cpu.

desu if you have the basic peripherals like case/hdd/psu/mouse/keyboard/possibly ram a new build wouldn't cost shit if you're just replacing cpu + mobo. i.e. ~$220 for the latest 8 core FX-9590 and ~$100 for a motherboard.
>>
>>53682678
>>53682736
both qemu and dosbox include cpu emulators, yes

virtualbox emulates a 32bit cpu if it needs to, but will use virtualization extentions for better performance when it can (required for its 64bit support)
>>
>>53687120
How would I install the bios to the motherboard?
>>
>>53687540
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRyFMf0D9Lc
>>
>>53685164
you can't test a blank cd-rw
write a full-disc image to it then read it back
>>
File: msh_128_lg.jpg (27 KB, 650x280) Image search: [Google]
msh_128_lg.jpg
27 KB, 650x280
I have here a 128MB (Sony) Memory Stick MagicGate that isn't being recognized by my PC. I insert it into the card reader, than on USB port, but get no recognition. There is any way to make it work?
>the PC says a removable disc exist, but that there is no removable disc on the removable disc...
I tried a 4GB (Sony) Memory Stick PRO Duo MagicGate and it worked.
>>
>>53686485
no, it's not a bad idea not to strain your machine while it's working though
>>
>>53682683
install tooth
>>
>>53687615
I could not understand.
Read a CD while making another thing does much stress on the machine?
>>
>>53687326
>m.2 at 10gbit/s
Nigga please.

Good suggestion otherwise.

>>53682355
If you want to spend money go ahead:

i5-6500 $205
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117563
ASUS Z170-A $155
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132566
2133Mhz ddr4 ram $32
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WUPTVX0/?tag=pcpapi-20

You're golden... granted you have a case/psu.

Going with older tech and sacrificing some extra funcionalities like 32gbit/s m2, higher ram frequencies, usb3.1 10gbit/s you can meet your ~$300 budget just fine. I recommend an A10-7800. Costs like $100 and comes with a capable GPU for some ok light rendering.
>>
>>53687590
>you can't test a blank cd-rw
Why?

>write a full-disc image to it then read it back
Which image?
>>
Mint Cinnamon or Ubuntu MATE for a laptop with an i3 3217U (1.8ghz x 2) and 4 gb RAM?
>>
>>53687608
Those things are garbage. I had to try a ton of different adapters/card readers I had laying around for it to be recognized. Try different adapters/card readers, back your shit up, and throw it away.
>>
>>53687704
Which things are garbage?
Memory Sticks?
Card Readers?
>>
File: Project_Gutenberg_logo.png (5 KB, 139x90) Image search: [Google]
Project_Gutenberg_logo.png
5 KB, 139x90
Is Project Gutenberg a good place to download ANARCHIST EBOOKS?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Gutenberg
>>
File: 1411749589456.jpg (25 KB, 384x299) Image search: [Google]
1411749589456.jpg
25 KB, 384x299
How can I force a Chrome window to stay on top? Heck I might not even need that, say I'm watching Youtube video or a Youtube livestream and I want that above all my other programs, how can I do that?
Using Windows
>>
What can I do with my old shitty Dell laptop? I was thinking about taking the monitor and use it for my gaming PC, and use the one I have right now for TV playing. Anything else I can use the laptops parts for? Any use for the guts of the thing I can Macgyver with?
>>
File: 2016-03-25 22.03.24.jpg (498 KB, 2304x1296) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-25 22.03.24.jpg
498 KB, 2304x1296
>>53688166
Forgot pic
>>
>>53687675
>Why?
there's nothing on it to test with

>Which image?
something that uses the whole disc, doesn't really matter what, you just need something to read back
>>
html/javascript help pls
>>
>>53688194
I DON'T KNOW THINGS THAT USES ALL DISCS AND ARE NOT WITH ERRORS

SEND HELP
>>
Is ddr4 ram worth the upgrade mobo?
>>
My Nexus 10 says that it is up to date but I am still running kit Kat.. Any clue how I can force it to update? I already tried the methods I got from Google and nothing. I don't care about rooting btw
>>
>>53688274
Depends, you have to upgrade your CPU too.

Post speccy from what you are upgrading from and pcpartpicker list to what you want to upgrade.

But for ram speeds alone? no.
>>
>>53688313
At work
>i5 4690k
>16g ddr3
I got that gaming 5 mobo from gigabyte
>>
>>53682372
how do you download these? preferably the original files
>>
>>53688337
Its not worth it.
>>
>>53687289
Should using my old 8.1 install disk be fine?
>>
>>53688274
Personally, the only reason I' upgrading to ddr4 is because I need the i5-6600 which requires a new motherboard which would also support ddr4 and the prices are identical.

ddr4 is no use if you're not going to use it as say a ram disk since ddr3 can provide regular ddr4 frequencies just fine (e.g. 2133Mhz+) depending on your motherboard. I guess some games slightly benefit from faster ram if they're cpu intensive. I'm still not sure about the whole thing.

You can rationalize is by the new features you'll be getting with your new motherboard like more/newer usb ports, m2 support, overclocking potential, etc. which is what I did (i.e. i5-6600). Otherwise I wouldn't sweat it really. There's no need.

Maybe look into it on your own.

>>53688337
>Memory Types DDR3-1333/1600, DDR3L-1333/1600 @ 1.5V
You'd need to upgrade both the motherboard and the processor (and ram). You can try overclocking your ram to objectively assess any significant improvements.
>>
Can someone explain to me the importance of encapsulation? Is it a security risk to make your instance variables public or is it something else? Any examples?
>>
>>53688253
here, i have generated an empty file that is the size of an "80 minute" cd-r/rw/rom
https://jii.moe/E1RnlyyAx.gz

if you burn this it will use 100% of the disc, so if you read the disc back you will effectively test the whole disc

it's compressed, but 7zip/winrar should open it

for reference, i generated it with;
dd if=/dev/zero bs=2352 count=360000 of=80min\ image.iso
>>
>>53688442
Thanks you!
>>
>>53688274
Spending the money for a 10% performance increase from Haswell to Skylake just isn't worth it. Wait until the Kaby Lake CPUs get released.
>>
I know jack shit about chords. I recently purchased a sound system (two speakers, a Sony "audio control center", and a record player). I got the record player all set up, but I don't have a chord to plug my computer into my reciever. The reciever has a "phones" jack, and my computer obviously has a headphones jack, but I'm not sure what type of plug would connect these two, or really whether or not these are the two that I should connect.

Can anyone help me out? If it's necessary I can take a picture of the jack with a dime for reference.
>>
Second semester Javafag here. Would there be any reason to use StringBuilder over just simple arithmetic when wanting to combine strings into a single variable?

public void setEmployeeNumber(int employeeNumberNumber, char employeeNumberPosition) {
employeeNumber = (Integer.toString(employeeNumberNumber)) + "-" + employeeNumberPosition;
//will produce a string akin to: 1234-M
}
>>
File: receiver.jpg (335 KB, 3000x1950) Image search: [Google]
receiver.jpg
335 KB, 3000x1950
>>53688524
Okay so this is a picture of the back of my receiver. Can anyone tell me which ones I would plus my phone/computer into if I wanted it to play from those devices? Or at least could anyone give me the names of some plug sizes?
>>
>>53688617
Get a 3.5mm patch cord and plug it into the Portable in on the back, or get a 3.5mm to RCA cable and plug the red and white connectors on that to any "Audio In" input on the receiver except for Phono.

>>53688616
StringBuilder is supposed to be faster because of immutability of strings and not needing to create any extra temporary ones, but when I compared it both methods of doing it compiled into the exact same bytecode (which was using a StringBuilder).
>>
>>53688692
Neat. So I suppose for anything large, I should be using StringBuilder?
>>
>>53688692
Thanks lad, will a 3.5mm patch cord also plug into my computer and phone?
>>
>>53688705
>>53688723
Yes.
>>
File: 1451538998786.jpg (46 KB, 540x319) Image search: [Google]
1451538998786.jpg
46 KB, 540x319
Greetings.

So my girlfriend's daughter keeps losing her USB drives. Is there any device that can help? maybe a proximity alarm that goes off when she's too far from the USB drive? Preferably something I can get on aliexpress.

>inb4 my girlfriend's daughter

Cheers
>>
can someone please give me a link to MediaPreview? I clicked on the first link from Babelsoft and it gave me a trojan
>>
>>53688617
use a 3.5mm stereo line cable from your computer output to the "Portable in" or use a 3.5mm to RCA stereo to one of the other RCA inputs like the "SA-CD/CD" in.

Bascially, it depends on what cables you have laying around.
>>
>>53688723
yes
>>
>>53688781
Wait until she's not a retard.

If, by the age of 14, she can't keep tract of important things, have her seek medical assistance.
>>
>>53688810
>>53688692
I used a 3.5mm patch cord in the portable in and switched my input to "portable". For my computer I just got a loud buzz, and for my phone I just got a low buzz. It still recognizes it: my phone says "headphones connected" or something and my computer says "you've plugged a new device into the audio jack".

Am I doing something wrong? Should I switch to RCA?
>>
What are some good Z97 motherboards?

Im looking for one but or they either are out stock or they are overpriced over here.

MSI Z97 PC Mate is overpriced $175.
GA-Z97X-UD3H is out stock till april 15-30 and is the one im waiting for, $120.
UD5H is overpriced, $250.
MSI GAMING 5 is overpriced too $285
ASUS Z97-A is out stock, $135.
Z97-A 3.1 is $190 but my second option if the UD3H is never in stock.

What other good ones exist?
>>
>>53688781
Stick it on a keyring with some decent wire. I used to lose mine all the time, decent ones too (Samsung 128GB USB3.0, 64GB drives.. etc), but have managed to not misplace my current one yet by making up an overkill wire loop to attach it to my keys.
>>
>>53688892
This is, of course, assuming the daughter has keys or something other similar type item of some kind.
>>
>>53688917
I'm afraid we tried that and it worked for a while but eventually she lost the usb drive AND her keys.
>>
Does the Pastebin API seriously not include a way to edit pastes? Seems a bit too retarded, so asking to be sure
>>
>>53688948
She is retarded. Kill her.
>>
How to play video from array in javascript/html?
>>
How do I type 「corner brackets」? I know they're U+300C and U+300D but I don't know what to do with that information
>>
>>53688781
Make a necklace with one.
>>
i'm getting a sort of gaming laptop and was told to get a cooling pad for it. never used one before

anyone have good suggestions for a cooling pad? it's a 15.6 inch laptop
>>
>>53689057
If it's a ROG laptop a(and new) you don't have to worry about it. Otherwise

www.amazon.com/LC05-Cooling-Auto-Temp-Detection-Compatible/dp/B00XKU47Y2/ref=zg_bs_2243862011_5
>>
>>53689115
this one actually got recommended for my laptop (lenovo y510p)

http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-NotePal-Ultra-Slim-R9-NBC-XSLI-GP/dp/B005C31HC0
>>
What's the difference between single channel and dual channel ram?
>>
>>53688878
Gigabyte gaming 5 only cost me 140$
>>
>>53689025
numpad

if you don't have one get one
>>
>>53689169
>Gigabyte gaming 5
GA-Z97MX?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 31

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.