[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/bsd/ general! How's systemd, Linux users? What are y
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 2
File: puffy.jpg (12 KB, 240x204) Image search: [Google]
puffy.jpg
12 KB, 240x204
/bsd/ general!

How's systemd, Linux users?
What are you compiling?
How's your netBSD washing machine working?

Why BSD? You can read this rant, if you want to learn a couple of things about it. It's a bit old but still good.
https://www.over-yonder.net/~fullermd/rants/bsd4linux/01

I'm debating over using OpenBSD or FreeBSD on my desktop when I finally get my new adapter.
>>
Is FreeBSD still a big time laptop battery muncher? Thinking of putting it on my new T420
>>
>>53679800
you can make it more efficient, but you gotta set that shit up manually I think
>>
>>53679924
Where exactly is the issue, what I need to set up?
>>
>>53679933
the freeBSD manual has some information on power management. There's also probably laptop people on the forums
>>
>>53680789
Gotta have a look then, just wanted to know whether it's possible to get comparable battery life to winblows/loonix on BSD
>>
>>53680807
I don't think you can get it to be as good as GNU/Linux or windows, but you should be able to get it close
>>
>>53680889
Should I just stick with Gentoo then? Every drop of battery is important to me
>>
>>53681086
Tried underclocking?
>>
>>53677992
>How's systemd, Linux users?

Great, I don't really think about it because it does what it's supposed to. This leaves me more time for productive work.
>>
>>53681218
But that'll just compromise my update times even further
>>
>>53681248
>does what it's supposed to do
BOTNET
O
T
N
E
T
>>
>>53681248
>system now boots 5 seconds shorter
>system now shuts down 30 seconds longer
Systemd
>>
I've always wondered who does all the OpenBSD artwork. It is usually pretty awesome and varies in style. Plus songs.
>>
>>53681790
runit is so much better and faster, but it's a shame that only really void has it
>>
>>53677992
>How's systemd, Linux users?
I don't know, I've never used it before. I use OpenRC.
>>
>but it's a shame that only really void has it
install gentoo
>>
>>53677992
who keeps making these every day?

hint: it's not me. my threads are every 1-2 months, never with a a copypasta

>>53679800
set apmd_flags to "-A" for auto-adjust power in /etc/rc.conf (FBSD doesn't use rc.conf.local as far as i know)

>>53679924
>>53679933
>>53680789
set 1 flag in rc.conf FFS

>>53680889
linux battery life is generally superior but you can get 5h+ off a thinkpad 6-cell in OBSD no problem
>>
>>53684183
>>linux battery life is generally superior but you can get 5h+ off a thinkpad 6-cell in OBSD no problem
What about FreeBSD?
>>
>>53684320
i don't use FBSD so i can't say

it has apmd so it's obviously not terrible
>>
>>53683731

http://systemd-free.org/
>>
>>53684970
what else does systemd actually do?

to me it just looks like a glorified mac systemctl, where init scripts are something stupid like XML files. like doing "ln /homebrew/daemon.plist ~/Library" and "systemctl enable daemon"

BSD init starts programs via rc.conf and has some tools to use init (shell) scripts. obsd can do "rcctl restart httpd smtpd unbound," for example

that's it as far as i know
>>
>>53684970
>no official support of OpenRC planned in the future
>>
>>53681086
Gentoo Linux or Gentoo BSD?
>>
>>53685135
It does a lot, but its core purpose is just an init system. It doesn't use the stupid XML init like macs do, instead it used its own kind of deal that lets you run programs with arguments (so you can still get the sysvinit feel by using bash, or whatever shell you want really instead of sh.)

But then it does a lot of other shit and that pisses people off, it controls the time, can control your internet, /dev directory, etc.

Thats why autists get butthurt, because they think it should just be an init system instead its more like an attempt to unify the linux experience across distros (leaving little room for change in the "core" system.)
>>
>>53686541
Isn't Gentoo BSD dead
>>
>>53686795

slowed to a near crawl at least, probably dead
>>
>>53686982
That kinda sucks.
Have there been any attempts to make BSD with a Linux kernel? I haven't heard of one yet
>>
>>53687045
you could most likely use LFS and combine it with the netbsd userland
>>
>>53687171
I don't suppose there's a quick guide for that, is there? Never tried neither LFS nor netBSD
>>
>>53687185
don't think so, the netbsd userland is very portable, but i don't think you can literally just drop it in a linux environment and have it work
>>
>>53687306
also if minix uses it, linux sure as hell won't have any problems with it

at this point the only thing about minix that stands out is its kernel
>>
>>53687306
>but i don't think you can literally just drop it in a linux environment and have it work
Hence I'm unsure how to hook it up to the kernel, what adjustments have to be made
>>
Systemd does its job. I have no problems on that front.
>>
>>53686613
>Thats why autists get butthurt, because they think it should just be an init system instead its more like an attempt to unify the linux experience across distros (leaving little room for change in the "core" system.)

I don't have a problem with systemd wanting to provide "batteries included". I do have a problem that it is designed to be inclusive/exclusive, i.e. you either write for systemd or you don't. It is the exclusionary factor that sets people off, not the (stupendously stupid) overreach of the designer(s).

Put another way: systemd has solutions, but it is being *presented* as a solution in search of problems, problems that have been solved for a long time now. All of the issues that systemd has have been solved at some point, but no-one has put the *political pressure* behind it to get these "fixes" pushed into mainstream use. Or tl;dr systemd succeeds in re-inventing existing solutions because it has managed to pressure everyone into using it, rather than presenting a new solution.
>>
>>53684183
>5 hours on a thinkpad 6-cell
Bruh what? I get that on Linux, but only like 3 on OpenBSD. I have apmd running with -A but that only gets me to 10 hours or so on my 18-cell T430 where on Gentoo I get 16.
>>
>>53687974
Okay, that post might have come off as confusing: Back when my T430 only had a 6cell on it, OpenBSD 5.7 got like three hours, and Gentoo got 5. Now that I've upgraded my batteries to a 9cell back and a 9cell slice, Gentoo gets 16-18 hours, while OpenBSD gets 8-10.
>>
>>53688087
Maybe you should try manually tuning the performance if you don't like 10 hours. Possible with apmd.

10 hours still sounds pretty good to me, though.

Also keep in mind the Gentoo kernel is probably fine tuned and more optimized since you probably compiled it yourself for your architecture and all.
>>
>>53677992
How do I compile the kernel on FreeBSD? I know the source code is in usr/src.
>>
>>53688231
Read the handbook.
>>
>>53688231
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/kernelconfig.html
Here, I'll even spoonfeed you.
>>
>>53687883
>I do have a problem that it is designed to be inclusive/exclusive, i.e. you either write for systemd or you don't.
I don't know about you but I can run Gnome 3 right now with or without systemd functionality. What was that about exclusive system support?
>>
>>53682431
Ty Semaka did most of the older stuff. Katherine Piro has done all the release artwork since 5.3. Hackathon artwork is done by a variety of people listed on hackathons.html.
>>
>>53683633
OpenRC blows systemd out of the water when it comes to boot times
>>
>>53687045
kfreebsd by debian?
>>
>>53688456
No, he's asking for an OS that uses the Linux kernel with a BSD userland.

The k in kFreeBSD means kernel.
>>
Am I making a mistake if I remove the pledge declaration from config's main.c?

I want to upgrade to -current using CVS, but 5.8 doesn't have pledge which resulted in some shit.

Kernel seems to be compiling just fine right now because I removed pledge from that file.
>>
>>53689138
If you want -current, just use snapshots.

If you really want to build -current, upgrade from a snapshot first. Doing it the way you're doing is explicitly unsupported for exactly the reason you're having problems.
>>
>>53689303
Alright, will do.

Was just making sure.
>>
Should I got with Darwin on my MacBook Air or a more pure BSD distro?

The only benefit I can think of is bette driver support.
>>
>>53689330
Wouldn't FreeBSD work?

Most of the dev team does seem to run macbooks.
>>
>>53684183
This is the only time I've made a BSD thread
>>
Freenas is a godsend, I built a freenas machine for my small business

Thanks bsd
>>
>>53689330
OS X is the only BSD worth using on x86 Apple gear. Darwin as a usable open source OS has been dead since 2009.
>>
>>53691444
You can boot into Darwin from an OS X install and work from there.
>>
Will using libvirt with bhyve unlock additional magic?

Are there any cool features that bhyve has over kvm?
>>
>>53691430
>tfw i had a teacher who apparently "knew" about technology
>he says he uses freenas and im like "oh that's cool"
>he says it's linux
i got really sad, i was studying in some tech related shit too
>>
So how do you people keep up to date on BSD stuff besides mailing lists?

Podcasts? bsdnow.tv, bsdtalk.blogspot.com, garbage.fm

Blogs? undeadly.org, dragonflydigest.com
>>
>>53684183
rcctl set apmd flags -A
rcctl enable apmd
rcctl start apmd
>>
What a terrible OP. We should be encouraging friendliness with our foss cousins, instead of dredging up controversial topics that do nothing but derail the thread.

Back to the topic, I can't wait for openeigrpd. Eigrp is the magic sauce of distance vector routing, and the ability to pull routes out of our existing infrastructure onto our pf firewalls is damn cool.

We are currently using freebsd as a bridge-firewall between cisco's, but with openeigrp we should be able to decommission half of our satellite switches.
>>
>>53691994
still using eigrp?
>>
>>53692032
of course. it blows ospf out of the water for our backwards, completely disorganized, adhoc, unplanned topology.
>>
>>53692082
At least you have a path away from cisco now.

get it...path?
>>
>>53692103
iseewhatyoudidthere
>>
>using EIGRP
top pleb
>>
>>53686541
>Gentoo BSD
Am I right in assuming that this one will have worse battery life than Gentoo with a Linux kernel?
>>
a
>>
Seen this dumb rant linked to a few times and actually decided to attempt to read it. I do know OP that you never wanted anyone to read it by posting it, had a great time seeing the contrarianism in this "post".

>This is not: Why you should use BSD instead of Linux.
Yes it is, you think you're better than everyone else and want to let them know. Just admit it.

>Does Linux support hardware that BSD doesn't? Probably. Does it matter? Only if you have that hardware.
"If you have hardware that isn't supported just throw it out"
This is plan9 tier shit wherein they have to go the distance to get some 15 year old single core thinkpad, it's literally the only thing that works with it because it's what the majority of it was made on, so we're back in the 60s where you need one specific kind of machine. Congrats you've eliminated "portability" from your OS vis-a-vis faux purism which was the entire point of your precious unix and programming. Let's be honest here, you wish BSD required something like a literacy test before you get to the download link to keep "undesirables" out. (everyone but you)

>How do you figure? Most of these "programs" you're so hot about are things that are open source or source-available anyway.
Tons of apps and drivers that are proprietary that are linux only. Of course the way to go against that is to take the freetard path even if you don't believe it, which again just like the hardware is "I don't use it, so nobody else should need to, throw it out"

>there's probably something among those 10,000 other choices that will fit the bill.
I've seen this same sort of shit unironically posted recommending people to drop outlook and go with some 80s piece of shit terminal mail client. You've obviously never worked in any industry for more than 10 minutes thinking that this is going to work. Again, "I don't use it, throw it out"
>>
>>53693092
>So? Windows is even more popular. Go use that.
Thanks to its popularity, companies think it's actually worth the time investment for example now we have steam. Again you can pretend to get past this by you saying it's bad using the same freetard cop-out and just insist the entire industry must be thrown out and go full /v/ and say stick to consoles. It's a wonderful invitation for new people but you've probably convinced yourself with BSD that new people are just all bad and you need to keep it shitty to keep them away thinking this makes you "pure". I've also seen it posted that "no software should be in BSD if it was made by a company". Again try this with any business any where, you're fried after 10 minutes when you just say "Wellll I don't use your business software so it must be thrown out"

> "BSD users are a bunch of elitist self-centered rude snobs."
>Yup. And proud of it. :-)
>You can't characterize a whole community in a phrase.
I believe I can, for BSD it's "I think I'm better than you". Honestly everything in the rant is just "Well, if all you want to do is spend weeks doing faux computer science by linking text files together, BSD is all elegantly set up so you can do that". Need to use hardware, software (everything)? It won't work, so just throw it out and ignore it. Look nobody cares what you do with your spare time but when the majority of your defense is "throw it out", you're basically the creationists of the software world in which whenever some science or need arises that we need to use or fix, you just say it's an unreliable claim and must be discarded.

BSD is the real version of what everyone thinks linux is - it doesn't work with anything, it's just used by bitter CS dropouts to keep their special snowflake feelings going. Just admit you're contrarians and would flip shit if anyone here actually ever used BSD, stop making the thread every 12 hours and pretending that you want people to use BSD.
>>
>>53693092
>>53693137
this has to be copypasta
>>
>>53693147
poor copypasta. I stopped reading when it talked about hardware support.
>>
>>53693147
>>53693184
I didn't read your post so it must be thrown out

Where it ends up for every BSDrone - on an obscure subreddit where the last post was 8 years ago. Enjoy~
>>
>>53693214
lol @ at you mentioning steam for linux though

not only is it a terrible port that only works on one or two distributions officially, it's also closed source, dooming it to mediocrity forever

and valve pretty much abandoned it anyways
>>
>>53693137
>Thanks to its popularity, companies think it's actually worth the time investment for example now we have steam.

This is GNU/Linux in a nutshell.
20 years of failure has left the userbase begging for proprietary games and software as the only way to get people to use it.

Face it, closed source has won.
>>
>>53693137
>I believe I can, for BSD it's "I think I'm better than you".
That describes Linux users much more than it does BSD ones. Linux users are known as the vegans or Jehovah Witnesses of the computing world.
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.