[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cable
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: Cat7.jpg (906 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
Cat7.jpg
906 KB, 1600x1200
Okay /g/ since so many folks here say they're using gigabit networking in their homes for media and file transfers has everyone switched up to Cat7 cable?

Is everyone still on old Cat5 cabling?

With the release of Cat8 cabling, Cat7 prices have dropped alot, what is preventing more /g/entoomen from switching?
>>
>>53674218
I use cat5e. The only reasons to go cat7 would be 10gbe and/or STP. If you can afford it multimode fiber is better future-proofing.
>>
You only need above cat6 for 10Gb or high networking. I would love to have that shit, but 10Gb shit is still pretty expensive.
I'm still using cat5e.
>>
>>53674255
From what I read it sounds like the maximum 5e supports is about 120 MB/sec and even then only at shorter distances
>>
>>53674318
5e fully supports gigabit. Technically you can push 10g on cat5e over shorter distances.
>>
>>53674350
>gigabit
Yes exactly gigabit only over short distance, about 120 megabytes per second.

With prices so low currently on Cat7 I just don't see why /g/ is so resistive about upgrading when they spend so much money on brand new gigabit and faster routers
>>
>>53674386
There is nothing wrong with putting a bunch of cat7 or better around your house now. It's just not worth upgrading from cat5e at the moment, because equipment that can take advantage of the better cables is still really expensive.
Also, when you buy cabling, you typically buy a shit load of it at once (100m or more), so you end up with a lot extra. People don't want to waste all of that extra cabling they typically have lying around.
>>
I have cat6 and it meets my needs with massive room to spare.
>>
>>53674386
>about 120 megabytes per second.
The maximum throughput for gigabit is 125 MB/s. Gigabit to Megabyte is 1000/8.
>>
>>53674449
Theoretical 125 MB/s. Realistically, it will be slightly lower than that because of protocol overhead and other factors.
>>
>>53674386
>Short distance
So 100m is short?
http://serverfault.com/questions/390680/max-distance-for-cat5e-in-1000mbps-1-gigabit
The only way you'll go further than 100m is using optical.
>>
>>53674430
regular cat6 or cat6a?
>>
>>53674473
http://amzn.com/B007O0CW78
>>
>>53674218
I use cat7 but only because I was able to snag a bunch on black friday. I use it with my television and main desktop and can tell a difference with internal LAN transfers for sure, not sure that anyone on old routers or motherboards that don't support faster would notice a huge difference.
>>
>>53674592
The difference is likely due to interference. Cat7 is shielded.
>>
>>53674449
it's actually 128, smartass
>>
>>53674771
Fine 128.14159
>>
>>53674218

My house is wired with cat 7 on the long (over 20 meter) runs and (at least) cat 6 for everything else. Even some of the shorter runs are cat 7 because I bought 2 250 foot spools of cat 7 for about $100 back about 2010.

Haven't even seen cat 5e for five years or so. Is that still a thing? I might have a few pieces in a box somewhere if I look around.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.