[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Looking for an ereader. Done a bit of research and these are
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
File: ebook-drm-server-011.png (281 KB, 400x665) Image search: [Google]
ebook-drm-server-011.png
281 KB, 400x665
Looking for an ereader. Done a bit of research and these are the things I want in rough order:

something that accepts multiple formats and is DRM free - I will buy sometimes .Sometimes not. I want to do what I want with it without restrictions or have them removable.

eInk over LCD - for obvious reasons

Physical buttons over touchscreen - unless touch screen is very responsive and not prone to fucking up like most

some form of lighting if I choose to read in the dark a fair bit

value for money.

What is my best choice?
>>
Kobo glo hd
>>
>>53674065
Is there much of a difference between the hd version and not?
>>
>>53674090
http://www.techtimes.com/articles/55467/20150527/whats-the-best-kobo-ereader-for-you-kobo-touch-vs-kobo-glo-vs-kobo-glo-hd.htm

I own a glo hd and I never tried the glo. For what I can say, it has a great display (previously I owned a kindle 4).
>>
I'm also considering a Kobo. What's the main difference between the Glo and the Touch?
>>
>>53674230
Glo and glo HD have backlight, touch doesn't
>>
The one reason I don't like the idea of ereaders is that you cant really read graphic novels on it, otherwise its perfect
>>
>>53674281
Is this backlight actually comfortable / necessary? I mean, its still led light, kinda nasty on your eyes after a while isn't it? The main advantage of ereaders over tablets was this issue, that they doesn't actually shine and thus are better for your eyes.
>>
>>53676894
>necessary
It is. You'll be glad you have backlight, trust me. I own a Kindle Paperwhite 3.
>>
>>53676894
You can turn it down pretty far so reading in the dark is still comfy. In daylight you can even turn off the light cause it will be very much paper-like and readable.
Only problem is that when I turn the light down to less than 10% on my Glo HD I notice flickering, which is extremely annoying, so I keep the light at 10%. That's a bit too bright for reading in complete darkness though.

Otherwise I'm pretty happy with it.
>>
>>53676894
It's a frontlight, not a backlight so it doesn't fatigue your eyes unless you're actually using it to read in the dark (even 1% brightness on my Kobo HD would feel like a backlight in complete darkness, but okay for outside on the streets at night).

I don't put it at 100% brightness, just at 5%-10% just so I actually get similar reflectivity (and thus look) of paper, hence the paperwhite. Otherwise, the ereader is a dull grey unless you have optimal and direct lighting.
>>
>kobo
Enjoy your botnet
>>
>>53676894
You can just turn off the backlight on the Kobo, but you literally can not turn off the backlight on the kindle paperwhite unless you jailbreak it.
>>
>>53676951
>>53676948
>>53676941
Thx, I'll consider that.
>>
>>53674043
>value for money.
also about this

Just get the cheapest one with the backlight. Don't bother going for the Amazon Voyage / Kobo H2O/HD unless you're also looking into reading PDFs or images, though tablets are better for that use (depending on how big of a problem eye fatigue is for you).

I think it's nicer to have a cheaper e-reader to take around with you everywhere that you won't have to worry much about wearing out.
>>
kobo or kindle those are your only options, they're both good though
>>
Am not paid amazon while but I have a question about drm on kindles. I own a paperwhite and have no problem putting pirated books on it, so what do you mean when you said it's drm locked
>>
>>53680173
Same here, mine isn't even connected to an account.
>>
>>53676641
It's ideal to read manga though
>>
>>53674065
/thread
>>
>>53680173
The kindle OS has backdoors that have, in the past, allowed Amazon to delete files from the device.
>>
>>53674043
I have a Kobo it's pretty great. But Kobo or Kindle it's easy enough to pirate everything. I've had both and never in my life bought a single ebook.
>>
>>53682945
No, you mentally impaired monkey. Amazon can delete ebooks from your Amazon account, and if you have your Kindle synced with it, it will be deleted form the device.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.