[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
GPU Doesn't respect my freedom.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5
File: gpl.png (11 KB, 200x99) Image search: [Google]
gpl.png
11 KB, 200x99
Let me explain;

1. I own my computer
2. As long as it does not infringe on the rights of another, I may do whatever I see fit with my computer
3. Having any sequence of bits on my computer is not immoral, to bar me from having sequences of bits on my computer is a violating of free speech and property rights
4. By extension, telling me that I can't use GPL code in a proprietary program is limiting my speech, and in essence makes you a co-owner of my property
5. Therefore, the GPL is immoral since it denies my property rights and freedom.
>>
File: business_model1.png (32 KB, 593x175) Image search: [Google]
business_model1.png
32 KB, 593x175
>>
I bet you're an "anarcho"-capitalist too, you fucking child.
>>
File: butthole.jpg (193 KB, 647x898) Image search: [Google]
butthole.jpg
193 KB, 647x898
>>53672906
Not an argument
>>
>>53672883
>GPU Doesn't respect my freedom
Guess where you got dropped, mate
>>
File: 1450000585873.gif (2 MB, 202x152) Image search: [Google]
1450000585873.gif
2 MB, 202x152
>>53672935
A person saying "You can't do XYZ with your own property!" Is essentially making the erroneous claim that they are co-owners of my property, and can limit what I can do with it.

I may have any sequence of 1's and 0's on my hard drive, in any format I choose; to deny this is to deny property rights and free speech.
>>
>>53672919
shit, that picture threw me off for a long time
>>
File: bump.jpg (42 KB, 350x197) Image search: [Google]
bump.jpg
42 KB, 350x197
>>53672902
>>
>>53672955
hard drives aren't property, they're possessions
>>
>>53672883
Laws against murder do not respect my freedom.
>>
>>53672883
>telling me that I can't use GPL code in a proprietary program

Can you use not yours Proprietary code in your Proprietry software?
Can you use someone else's patented invention in your product without paying him shit?
>>
>>53672883
You misunderstand the GPL.

You can do whatever the fuck you want with GPLed code, even including it in proprietary programs, as long as it stays on your computer.

GPL concerns itself with distribution, that is, when that code leaves your computer and by extension your control.

That's why you can use GPL code on your proprietary SaaS project backend without having to give anyone anything.
>>
>>53672883
>By extension, telling me that I can't use GPL code in a proprietary program is limiting my speech, and in essence makes you a co-owner of my property
You can make it proprietary so long as you don't release it to anyone else (releasing it to anyone else without the source code would be infringing on the rights of another, and you would no longer be doing things with your computer, but with someone elses).

If you were obligated to release every modification you made, even for personal private usage, that would be a violation of your freedom - but you aren't. (and even if you were, nobody would ever find out)
>>
>>53672883 (OP)
>GPL is immoral since it denies my property rights and freedom.

your leapfrog path to bullshit aside, your freedom to choose what license you want for software you right is not a freedom, it's a power. are you saying microsoft is protecting their freedom with all the bullshit they push? no, they are exercising power.
>>
>>53672955
Before we move on: What is your stance on intellectual property?
>>
>>53672883
>3. Having any sequence of bits on my computer is not immoral, to bar me from having sequences of bits on my computer is a violating of free speech and property rights
>4. By extension, telling me that I can't use GPL code in a proprietary program is limiting my speech, and in essence makes you a co-owner of my property
You're wrong about these. The GPL does not actually restrict what you can do with code running on your computer. Once you obtain GPL licenced code, you can do whatever you want with it, including linking it with proprietary code and making modifications without sharing them, as long as the code stays on your computer. The GPL only applies once you distribute your modified code to others, since you aren't the sole owner of the combined work.
>>
>>53672883
No one's saying you need to distribute source code for shit you run locally you fucking moron. They're saying if you distribute your software you need to supply the source so other people can be aware of what they're running on their computer. Do you like having the ingredients listed on the foods you buy and deciding based on that if you want to buy the food or not? Or do you prefer taking blind leaps of faith that there's no horse meat in your meatballs?

Go back to shitting in the streets Mr Patel, with this level of shitposting microsoft is surely going to fire you.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.