[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Computers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5
How often should you upgrade your computer?

Im honestly not seeing a point in upgrading anything anymore, the "upgrades" barely offer anything over the last generation anymore. Especially for someone who doesn't video game I fail to see the point.
>>
File: 1356150808001.jpg (5 KB, 195x224) Image search: [Google]
1356150808001.jpg
5 KB, 195x224
Whenever your finances and desire to do so are in line.
>>
Whenever it can't do what you want it to do anymore and you decide it's worth spending the money so you can do what you want to do.
>>
>/g/ please think for me
-OP the massive cuk
>>
>>53672869
always ends up this
>>
>>53672898
>>53672890
>>53672869
>>53672927
/thread
>>
I built my computer about 5 years ago, and all I've done it add hard drives and some more RAM. I'm building a computer for someone right now and I'm feeling really jealous because it is so much better than mine, although my computer does pretty much everything I need it to do.

I probably won't seriously upgrade until I want to get into VR.
>>
I get mid to high end parts and do a completely new build after like 5 years. In between I'll do a minor upgrade like some more RAM or bigger/faster drive.
>>
People pretend here that they need every little bit of extra performance boost like they are working on some Ultra important project of calculating interactions of molecules in DNA or something.

Mostly people dont even use 50% of capacity for what they bought.

I was idiot and I bought AMD XFX 380 graphic card because I wanted something for rendering in Blender and then I realized Blender doesnt support AMD graphic cards.

Hope it will change.
>>
>>53672869
It always funny too see /v/shitters buy 980tis for playing csgo and all there friend cirlejerk about it
>>
>>53674591
I own a 8320 and a 290,when should I do an upgrade?
Am I still ok with this build /g/ ?
>>
>>53672857
I'm thinking of replacing my 6-yo system outright once the next wave of hardware launches (Zen, Pascal, Polaris, etc), and that will be it for the next ten years, especially with process node shrinkage running dry.
>>
>>53674601
Why you ask if you should upgrade? You know what you are using it for, if it does everything what you need, why you ask this question, or you are just bored and want to spend money.
>>
>>53672857
The main reason we still have to upgrade is because web developers cannot optimize for shit.

But, even that isn't working as well as it used to anymore. You may be right.

I thought upgrading to a higher performance PC would make everything fast and effortless, but all kinds of things still suck. Im sitting here a 3% CPU usage and scrolling through a facebook album still feels like molasses.
>>
>>53672857

When it doesn't do what you need it to do. Or, if you're a richfag, when it doesn't do what you want it to do.

Fucking. DUH.
>>
>>53674599
Maybe they want to play at 4K? Or 1440p 144hz?
>>
File: nope.gif (2 MB, 250x220) Image search: [Google]
nope.gif
2 MB, 250x220
>>53674760
>Have a few dozen tabs open in Firefox
>Using 1.3 GB of RAM, less than 25% of my system total.
>Suddenly
>Visual corruption, tabs freeze forever and CPU usage jumps to 25% on Firefox
>end up having to restart and say goodbye to all my private tabs
>>
>>53674800
I get random freezes browsing certain sites these days, notably 420chan. It lasts about 5 seconds. Don't know what the heck is causing it, and I've looked. It's just the way things are.
>>
>>53674895
At first I thought it might be W10, but then I realized the same bullshit happened on W7. Which is why I installed Session Manager. Also, I have Adobe Flash disabled on a site by default, which surprisingly has little effect.

Honestly, I'd use Chrome 24/7 if it wasn't for the whole botnet/spying/etc. thing. One tab freezes, the rest act fine because they have their own process.
>>
>>53674800
>private tabs
why
>>
>>53674895
If you have HTTPS Everywhere, disable the observatory. I had similar issues with sites that had lots of JS
>>
>>53672857

the latest nvidia card every year and you are set
dont bother with AMD cards since they become irreleveant and useless 2 months before their release
>>
>>53672857
I target a 5 years lifetime for GPUs and 7-10 years for CPUs. At 5 years, the GPU typically needs one thermal paste change and should kill itself right when it's time to upgrade. At 7-10 years, the CPU should need 1-2 thermal paste changes, but it should still be alive and well way beyond the expiration date. However, at around 7-10 years, the performance starts to become an issue.

For other components, mobo upgrade naturally comes at the same time as the CPU upgrade; case can last forever; mouse and keyboard as well; dvd drive likewise; storage, only when I start running out of space too fast (I'm still on a 500GB HDD and I'm not yet starved for space); ram whenever it's meaningful to do so (I'll need to upgrade to DDR4 when I upgrade my CPU soon, because mobos that support it are only DDR4 now, but even 8GB is good enough for most tasks, even though I personally need 16GB and rarely but sometimes run out).
>>
I'm still running a i7 950 with a 660gtx for 7 years now. Gonna upgrade the gpu to polaris and maybe oc the cpu and run it another 3 years hopefully.
>>
>>53674784
No that would reduce frames.
>>
>>53672857
i upgrade my computer when i need to and can afford to

i still see no need in changing my thinkcentre with core2duo and few gigabytes of DDR3, it works fine
>>
>>53672857

If your computer is over 5 years old, that's really sad man.

Can you believe there are people out there with a computer that is over 5 years old? How sad is that?

You should get an Apple Mac computer, or one of the new ipads, they are really changing the way people use computers.
>>
>>53677656
why do you feel the need to ask how sad it is? shouldn't you know?
>>
upgrade desktop every 4 years. buy a new x200 thinkpad battery for my laptop every 2-3.

Why do people buy technology they don't need?
>>
File: 0fucksgiven.png (73 KB, 798x553) Image search: [Google]
0fucksgiven.png
73 KB, 798x553
>>53672857

>this computer is on almost every day since 2009
>never upgraded
>never even cleaned it
>>
>Q6600 was almost 10 years ago
time to upgrade maybe
>>
>>53678267
Enjoying your 3-minutes-long load times when opening notepad?
>>
File: 1356508734527.jpg (98 KB, 673x556) Image search: [Google]
1356508734527.jpg
98 KB, 673x556
>>53678311

>thinking this
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.