[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Memes aside,which gnu/linux distros are passable for actual work?(programming
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4
File: 1446491311416.png (5 KB, 462x402) Image search: [Google]
1446491311416.png
5 KB, 462x402
Memes aside,which gnu/linux distros are passable for actual work?(programming mostly)
>>
>>53667128
Debian, Ubuntu.
>>
>>53667128
Ubanto, Fedora
>>
>>53667128
literally any.
>>
>>53667198
Does Ubuntu implies other spinoffs like Xubuntu,Kubuntu,..?
>>
Ubuntu for desktop use, RHEL for server use.
>>
>>53667211

Yeah, they're basically the same. Only cosmetically different, with a few different programs here and there.
>>
>>53667128
As someone who actually does that, I use Arch, and Kubuntu one on machine with a touch screen.
>>
Too much time on their hands: Gentoo
Boring office stuff like spread sheets: Red Hat, CentOS
Gaming and noobs general: Ubuntu
Entry-level coding: Debian
Reale serious coding, top-end server stuff and hacking: Arch
>>
>>53667128
Pretty much only gentoo. Debian is a meme, even stable release is unstable to the point of being unusable if you do any kind of programming. Beside, if you do programming, you will not have access to up-to-date tools and libraries, which are crucial because they move fast.
Ubuntu is a lot more stable and is passable, but not more than that. Fedora and opensuse are no go. Fuckall packages and also fuckall stability.

Gentoo also has the advantage of allowing you to hotpatch any package and add or remove any feature you want for the packages you install - especially useful when downloading tools and libraries that may contain critical bugs (numpy 1.8 bad mean/stdev, for example of critical bugs, python2 support for vim as opposed to python3 for an example of feature; or whether or not to enable cuda and opencl support for computing libraries).
>>
>>53667128
Anything with a compiler and a text editor??
>>
>>53668353
Spot the archfag
>>
>>53668694
Can't program when X is broken and the documentation is virtually impossible to navigate without a mouse-centric web browser.
>>
Go with Ubuntu LTS, it has the best support for a lot of stuff, and if you use IDEs a lot learn to use HUD.
>>
Don't listen to the memes.

1. Install Ubuntu
2. Install any IDE you want + text editor of choice
3. Have awesome desktop experience without anything breaking on you, ever.
>>
File: GTO2.jpg (24 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
GTO2.jpg
24 KB, 512x384
>>53669056

> IDE
>>
>>53669056
>ubuntu
>anything but breakage
>ide
>>
>>53669142
Spot the Archfag who codes fizzbuzz in vim becasue X won't start.
>>
>>53667128
Xubuntu.
>>
>>53668353
are you underage? an adult couldn't seriously believe themselves when they write bullshit like this.
>>
File: geohot_sd_car.jpg (812 KB, 1280x768) Image search: [Google]
geohot_sd_car.jpg
812 KB, 1280x768
>>53668353 >>53668637
You are memes.
people build self-driving cars on ubuntu because it just works.

If you need another version of some package, just download the source and build it. Its insane to waste as much times into meme OSes (gentoo|arch) as you do, guys, you don't have time to do any programming.
>>
>>53669219
You know that image is just a fucking meme right?

Wow you fell for it, hard.
>>
>>53667128
Debian.
When you wanna et shit done you want a stable system and you don't want to update your libraries while you're developing stuff because it might break shit.
You can backport source packages from unstable or experimental repos if you need to try out a newer version of a package.
>>
>>53667128
Literally any of them, anyone who says otherwise is just a manchild who has never actually done any work.
>>
>>53669219
Be a retard elsewhere, thanks.
>>
>>53669268
>I have never used debian
>I have never even successfully written a hello world before
>that means I'm an expert on the topic
>>
Nowadays Fedora Workstation is designed with developers in mind first and foremost, you could give it a try.
>>
>>53669344
Sure, if you want nfs to crash all the time and don't expect the desktop to stay up for more than an hour. Hope you like memleaks, too!
>>
>>53667128
Arch
>up to date packages
>easy packaging system if you need to install something that isn't in the repos
>not autistic about proprietary software in the main repos, so more support for the proprietary shitware you'll probably need at some point
>>
>>53668637
>Beside, if you do programming, you will not have access to up-to-date tools and libraries, which are crucial because they move fast.
You don't want anything to 'move fast' as a devloper you retard.
The sad state of most linux/open source developers is that they are way too eager to break apis and abis with no regard backwards compatibility, so you cannot blindly update packages and expect things to work.
>>
>>53669470
>I have literally never done any development in my life
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>53668871
>not having hardcopy documentation
>even needing it at all
>>
>>53669583
(You)
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.