[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
AMD vs Nvidia
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 1
File: 14-105-024-TS.jpg (23 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
14-105-024-TS.jpg
23 KB, 640x480
So while the stupid /v/ children are waging wars over their stupid gayming cards,
let's talk about proper /g/ related GPUs that are actual technology here.

ATI FirePro or Nvidia Quadro?
>>
>>53664282
inb4 some underage /v/ kid makes fun of FirePro name
>>
Why is it called Quadro when it's only 3.5?
>>
>>53664356
ebin
>>
I forgot which quadro it was, maybe a 4000 series that's really close to the firepro 5100 in regard to specs and age, but fell behind it in a bunch of benchmarks. firepro price is at >400 usd, quadro ~700
better performance at half cost I think AMD is ahead in the WS gpu market.

no experience with any, just been trying to decide on a card for learning CAD
>>
>>53664356
I... had not heard that one before. Bravo.
>>
>>53664282
so how long before linus mangles one of those as well?
>>
>>53664311
HOUSEFIREPRO
>>
>>53664282
Why don't they have fans?
>>
>>53664282
If you are doing actual work, there is a 90% chance that it's CUDA-based, in which case your choice is cut out for you.

>>53664356
Good one sir

>>53666008
Some of these cards are designed to go into server racks, which have their own cooling blasting through the chassis, so it would be redundant to stuff fans in.
>>
>>53664282
Fuck off, you're as autistic as those retards.
>>
>>53664282
anything you would be doing at home that needs a pro card, amd, they offer more ram.

if your application uses cuda, you can 9 times out of 10 get away with gaming cards.
>>
>>53664282
first of all, the vast majority of work that doesn't involve physics or thermodynamics related simulations is CPU-bound, secondly the few applications that properly support GPU acceleration only support CUDA. The "openGL accelerated" stuff is hardly faster than just using a processor
>>
>not having a god tier drafting workstation
>not having your company pay for "any and all hardware needs"
>not having them pay for 4 firepro w9100's
>tfw 48gb vram
>>
>>53667028
>not having a god tier drafting workstation
Is there actually a way to make Revit fucking behave itself and not run like cow shit? My work has decent computers but big boss wants to change hardware soon. What does the GPU actually contribute towards in drafting? I'd have thought it's just your viewports.
>>
>>53664282
>ATI FirePro or Nvidia Quadro?
It depends, for compute Quadro (basically every dev and their moms use CUDA) 3D modelling and video editing FirePro.
>>
>>53664282
If you need OpenCL, Firepro
If you need CUDA, Quadro
>>
>>53667767
To be honest, i really just wanted more monitors. Having 6 monitors is a 50/50 mix of making shit much easier and making things look cooler. 2 are for reference materials, one is a tool pallet, one is usually an open autocad dwg for small components or part of something bigger, one is the main project and one is for overflow

if you're doing 2D drafting, any dual monitor GPU will do just fine, literally anything, having a second monitor for reference and tools makes work extremely fast just because of the sense of organization, if you're doing 3d, go with something heavy duty like the high tier firepros just to get that boost of speed when rendering, and to have even more monitors

Its really useful for some small things though, we make demo part models (im an industrial draftsman in a company that makes brass fittings) in Sketchup just because its quick as fuck and has an easy animation system built in. The issue is that smoothing in sketchup is the equivalent of taking your dick, shoving it in your gpu's fans and jizzing on it. It will crash pretty much anything less than mid end nvidia cards when making more than 20 surfaces meld.

That and things like Maya and Inventor are really smooth and take very little time to render when you have 4 top tier GPUs

as far as revit goes, i cant stand it, older versions could run on a literal toaster and nowadays it doesnt matter what your specs are, its just coded like shit
>>
why dont they use the same model name and just slap on firepro/quadro at the end?
>>
>>53668233
Firepro/Quadro are binned for different characteristics. They typically use lower bandwith memory interfaces and much more VRAM.
They are binned for computer perfomance at the cost of higher power consumtion.
They're basically the creme de la creme of GPU silicon.
They also typically have features required by industry, such as compatibility with wierd server farm requirements and legacy outputs (VGA).
>>
>>53668299
isnt the core the same?

and consumer models are also sold with different vram sometimes yet keeps the same name.
>>
>>53668343
Yes, they use the same silicon as the top of the line GPU's (GM200/204), but you should watch this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5Npt1BSF04
>linuxshilldicks
I know, but it's very informative.
>>
>>53664356
is... is this a fresh meme? on /g/?
>>
>>53666972
>The "openGL accelerated" stuff is hardly faster than just using a processor

This is the most retarded thing I've ever heard on this website.
>>
>>53664282
Produo for the 8 gb hbm
>>
>>53666755
opencl is more widely used now, open source and all
>>
Im not a heavy video card taxer on work but I do use 8 displays for my job, currently I'm using a matrox video card.

Is there better card for that?
>>
>>53669836
Anything with a buttload of display ports would be good for you
>>
>>53669836
>>53669891
Nothing but Matrox supports >6 displays. You'd need multiple cards. Matrox has that massive multi-display market cornered I believe.
>>
>>53669914
That's what I thought, I'm displaying live feeds. Not rendering but holy jebus when I load something on an idle display it's slow as dirt.
I have the 6 port cards in the machine I'm trying to balance the abilities of the adapters to be need of multiport displays.
>>
>>53669914
>Nothing but Matrox supports >6 displays.

I'm not sure how true this is. I'm fairly certain this card supports 12 1080p monitors using daisy chaining.
>>
>>53664282
You're the same autistic kid who can't afford firepros and quadros anyway. Just kill yourself.
>>
>>53664356
Should they be called Tres-Cinco's now?
>>
>>53670247
that's what I'll be callin'em
>>
>>53664282
> FirePro or Quadro
Whichever will get the job done for the lowest price.

Desktop has a GTX570 running one monitor, and a Quadro 600 running 2 more.

Laptop has a FirePro M4000
TS server has a Rage 128 (I think) and a FirePro V5900.

It's just how things worked out...
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.