[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
AMD vs Nvidia
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: intel_vs_amd.png (18 KB, 650x295) Image search: [Google]
intel_vs_amd.png
18 KB, 650x295
Okay, I'm building a new gaming PC and I'm watching the videocard benchmarks. The things is, benchmark-wise Nvidia almost always wins, but I've noticed here on /g/ people like AMD better.
So, I'd appreciate it if you guys tell me exactly why Nvidia is better or the opposite. I'm speaking of high-end cards, but if the situation with the cheaper cards is different, I'd be interested in hearing your arguments about them, too.
>>
If you have a lower-end CPU and want your GPU to perform to its maximum potential, NVidia all the way. AMD cards need a highly overclocked i7 to back them up because of their horrible driver overhead.

Lower power consumption, better performance and drivers that don't kill your GPU and crash all the time are all nice bonuses, too.
>>
>>53663351
i prefer AMD because i have no real experience with nVidia other than my Quadro FX 4800, though nVidia is generally more powerful and can do more real world applications better than AMD because of their specialized processing cores, though with Polaris and Pascal we will see who is top dog once again
>>
>>53663351
if you want literally the BEST card right now, get a 980ti, otherwise, for price to performance of genuinely anything below that, pick AMD, 90% of the time their cards will perform the same as nvidia equivalents for a lower price.
>>
>i have boatloads of cash:
980ti to 970

>I am an adult with a job
High end AMD for performance with some frustration, 970 or 960 for good drivers and an alright card that will play things 1900x1200 on high

>I need price/performance and want to save skrilla
Buy used on hardforum or use the Jet.com 15% off coupon.

IMO the 970 is the card to get, but take that with some grains of salt.
>>
It has and will forever always be

Nvidia: If you have the money

AMD: If youre on a budget
>>
File: roman-kekd.jpg (49 KB, 600x776) Image search: [Google]
roman-kekd.jpg
49 KB, 600x776
>Year: sqrt(4064256)
>Buying AMD.
>>
File: 18015.jpg (38 KB, 554x386) Image search: [Google]
18015.jpg
38 KB, 554x386
>>53663351
Nvidia cards age like milk, AMD just gets better with age.

I bought myself a sapphire tri-x 390X for christmas, I haven't had a single issue since day one and can play new games maxed out at 1080P and get 60-144 fps depending on the game.

980ti is the only Nvidia card worth buying now because of performance and it's dwindling. Driver downgrades and shitty DX12 support will hurt it bad in the near future.

Hell, 390X is starting to get close to 980ti in benches now.
>>
>>53665001
but nvidia just released bad drivers, AMD hasn't fucked up anything in years.

970 is the biggest meme garbage card on the market, it's for consumer idiots. Get than with an i7 to complete your "more money than sense" build.

>>53665157
"I got the 3.5 gb card"
>>
>>53665001
>grains of salt

yes big fist sized grains hurled over your shoulder as hard as you can
>>
>>53665001
take it with at least 3.5 grains of salt
>>
>>53663402
topp laff
>>
>>53665224
conveniently ignoring the single GPU microstutter and other shit
>>
>>53663351
day one amd sucks, or it works adequately, next actual driver update, performance in a new game usually starts to reach nvidia.

as for single fastest gpu, that would be nvidia with the 980ti in dx11, and amd beats it out, or can match it in dx12 with a 390/x i think a 380 in a Vulcan benchmark beat the 980ti (due to minimums)

its kind of crap on both sides... i personally despise nvidia and their practices so as long as amd is viable i wont buy nvidia.
>>
>>53663351
At least from my understanding, Nvidia has the very top end of the market locked down. For midrange, and low end cards, AMD offers better pricing and/or performance. I'm happy with my 390.

I could be completely wrong though.
>>
>>53663351
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7fA_JC_R5s
I recommend you watching this ~20 minutes video. It's worth it, you'll see the truth behind the whole shit.
>>
My friend is trying to get me to buy an R9 295X2. If i do that then I have to switch monitors since the one I'm looking at is gsync and not freesync.

Also it's expensive as fuck. Should I just go with a 980 Ti?
>>
>>53666829
you are retarded
>>
>>53666829
topkek
>>
>>53666771
that's actually a great video
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.