[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ISHYDDT
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: 1457168997789.jpg (214 KB, 1008x1323) Image search: [Google]
1457168997789.jpg
214 KB, 1008x1323
>>>/sci/7953599
>>big O notation
>Agreed, been working in software development for over 20 years and NEVER ever needed this knowledge. I let the software library developers worry about sorting/searching optimization.

>>>/sci/7953679
>The times when Big O notation would be used is PRECISELY the times when a library function should be used. Library programmers specialize in this. Respect to them, but how boring to spend a career increasing the optimization of a few searching algorithms by 3 to 4 percent.
>>
why does it matter when
>those guys are most likely doing mathematical programming
>the program they use already implements the most efficient algorithms
>>
What is the point of this thread?
>>
>>53661798
Another "le CS majors r dum I study math master race 300k starting lel" circlejerk.
>>
Only an autist from /g/ couldn't get over the fact there are different kinds of programming in the world.
>>
>>53661834
pretty sure OP was implying the opposite
>all math majors know big O notation
the fact you don't know means you're a baby bitch freshman

I feel like instead of the image captcha the mods should implement some sort of question/answer system where you need to answer a certain technical question correct for your post to go through. It will definitely keep retards like you from posting
>>
>>53661868
Yup. Those are legitimate posts. Not false flags at all!
>>
But big o is not hard to understand at all, let alone ridiculously hard.
>>
>>53661748
major butthurt, and vagina lord.
>>
>>53661798
For the laughs.

Big O/Θ/Ω isn't about writing algorithms/libraries but selecting which one is best for the job. Quick sort would give you a n^2 run time for nearly sorted data while bidirectional bubble sort would be n time. A quadratic speed up isn't a "3 to 4 percent" increase but a n*100% boost.

>CS grad software developers don't have a clue what they are doing but still insist they are special and irreplacable
>you can't make this up
>>
>>53662031

>math majors pretending to be CS grad software developers don't have a clue what they are doing but still insist they are special and irreplacable
>you can't make this up

I had to teach a math major how to do a Taylor approximation for a physics problem. It was embarrassingly. He was on the """honors""" track.
>>
>>53662031
i didnt read any of it because of the "n*100% boost" but the green text... you should practice your algorithm analysis and that's it, and stop being a fag.
>>
>>53661911
>Those are legitimate posts. Not false flags at all!

Doesn't really come off as trolling. I'll put the odds at 7:2 in favor of it being real.
>>
>>53662662
I posted that comment, and it was sincere/troll-free
>>
O notation is not representative of real world results. Pretty sure the library writers judge the performance from profiling implementations of the algorithms.
>>
>>53661748
What kind of programming do you do where you never ever had to think, "hm, I should use a set/hashmap instead of linearly searching through an array because it's much faster"? Or "I can think of one solution to this problem, but this other solution would achieve the same thing in less steps"?
>>
File: 1456331869280.jpg (299 KB, 501x656) Image search: [Google]
1456331869280.jpg
299 KB, 501x656
>>53663418

The kind of programming required of CS majors
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.