[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Virtual Desktop 1.0 for Oculus
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: virtual_reality_.jpg (143 KB, 960x653) Image search: [Google]
virtual_reality_.jpg
143 KB, 960x653
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjE6qXd6Itw

http://store.steampowered.com/app/382110

Goodbye world.
>>
VR/linux when?
>>
>you were born just in time to experience chromesthesia
>>
I used this a lot back when I had a dk2. Of course, dk2 has terrible hardware and makes it practically unusable, but it was pretty nice.

Makes you realize that just projecting your screen onto a curved surface is pretty damn shitty.

VR desktops call for a complete redesign. At the least, you need a 180 degree (if not 360) virtual desk space to move windows to. With virtual desktop there's no feasible way to get windows to scale the way they need to - I tried setting my res to 4k then setting my text scaling to 50%, but still, it's just no good. A complete redesign is needed.
>>
>>53661381
it will die as google glass did.
>>
>>53661529
Let me interject for a moment but what you refer to as VR/LINUX is actually GNU/VR/Linux or as Ive recently taken to calling it, GNU + VR/Linux
>>
At what point will they become better then actual monitors?
>>
File: 1310428349083_0.png (194 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
1310428349083_0.png
194 KB, 500x333
>>53662391
yaw nigga

also, OP please buy ad space so i can block it.
>>
>>53662391
it will be a long time before they replace CRT, but to replace LCD you need at least enough resolution that it doesn't look like absolute crap.

And you need smart enough renderer that you don't need $1000 hardware just to do word processing.
>>
if anyone has actually used one of these things, you would realize that they are complete garbage for something like a desktop.
>>
Use it now before advertising ruins VR
>>
>>53662107

I think virtual desktops just need the tablet approach. Gear VR gives you what essentially looks like an android tablets store page levitating in front of you, and it works wonderfully
>>
File: 0.gif (96 KB, 300x100) Image search: [Google]
0.gif
96 KB, 300x100
[shitposts in 360°]
>>
>>53662131
said the increasingly nervous man the 15th time this year
>>
>>53661381
implying people will use oculus for hours and hours
>>
>>53662753
I don't know about that. I'm sure it works, better than normal desktops at least, but I don't think it's the best solution.

To me you need a number of features for a VR desktop to be good:
- the ability to position windows 360 degrees
- the ability to zoom and scale windows

Even without view based controls, I think that's enough to make it usable.
>>
Stupid gimmick, all VR is good for is video games. Especially erotic video games.
>>
>>53661381
>http://store.steampowered.com/app/382110

Processor: i5-2500k
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: NVidia GTX 640 or ATI HD 7000/Rx 200
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 500 MB available space
Additional Notes: Windows 7 is not supported
>>
>>53662979
Yep not using that. Wait until it get's a linux port.
>>
>VR desktop
>not glasses

enjoy walking into oncoming traffic guys...

>inb4 why would you use this on the move
what would be the point then when monitors exist, pre-emptive retort chan said...
>>
>>53662979
>>53662992
Work arounds bro.
>>
>>53662914

Well, another thing the Gear does, is that when you have multiple tabs or Windows opens, they surround you. If you look at one for a few seconds it enlarges to mimic a large screen. It works rather well.

I honestly like the idea of just displaying a virtual computer and just having the desktop on there for a while. All I really want to be able to do is navigate my desktop without taking my headset on and off.
>>
>>53663114
I only have experience with dk1/dk2, in which virtual desktop is practically useless because the res is so low that you need to have the virtual desktop really close to your face to be able to read anything, and there's an absurd amount of distortion.

Vive/cv1 probably make it usable...
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.