[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/oldwin/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: winlogo3.png (18 KB, 200x176) Image search: [Google]
winlogo3.png
18 KB, 200x176
Does anyone still use Windows 95/98 here?
>>
No I don't. They were pretty horrible to use for the most part and had all sorts of weird problems like not shutting down properly, or randomly crashing for no reason. I upgraded to Windows 2000 in about 2004 and never looked back.
>>
>>53659646
I haven't seen anything below Win XP and Server 2003 lately. Some client at work had a ton of XP instances running firefox for whatever reason, probably some blackhat SEO bullshit or something. XP because low mem
>>
>>53659870
How can you use an unsupported OS? Where do you download updates? Also, is there any x64 support for Windows 2000?
>>
File: aaa.png (478 KB, 1493x1148) Image search: [Google]
aaa.png
478 KB, 1493x1148
>>53659906
you can shitpost with windows 2000

good enough
>>
>>53659646
Yeah, Win 98 (not SE) on some old shit machine with the sole purpose of operating some AD in an experiment. It still works and does everything it needs to do, so we see no reason to replace it. It's running since 99. And I mean, it's running 24/7 since 1999. It's pretty amazing. We probably need to replace the AD once the computer is dead.
>>
>>53659917
Oh, I thought you use win2k on actual hardware.
>>
>>53659918
>17 years uptime
holy shit windows didnt shut down even once to upgrade to windows 10?
>>
>>53659918
I still have one machine in dos running proprietary software and one in window 98se but it doest boot to Windows it just use the dos part of windows. Both are isolated from network and both run every day and are made by the same company.
>>
>>53659917
noice. I liked 2000. I should make a VM of it
>>
>>53659918
Post proof.
>>
>>53659917
is pale moon better than firefox?
>>
>>53660821
no

but its the most updated browser you can run on windows 2000
>>
File: nt4.png (38 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
nt4.png
38 KB, 1280x1024
>>53659870
This
NT a best, gaymes compatibility is shit but the stability, networking and overall performance are top-notch. 9x is only really good if you're a nostalgia/gamertard. I tend to avoid it whenever possible, except on low-end consumer hardware or compatibility boxes where NT is a little out of place.

>>53659906
>How can you use an unsupported OS?
By using it? It still runs the same applications and does the same shit. Just don't plaster your life all over it and/or piss off a skiddo with some 0days for a nearly 20 year old platform.
>>
I use AmigaOS
>>
>>53661671
>JYVÄSKYLÄ

This might be the first time I've seen my home town mentioned on 4chan.
>>
PLEASE DELETE THIS THREAD!!!!
>>
>>53659646
Only on my Pentium 1 machine, but the old seagate HDD is getting louder and louder so it might die soon.
>>
>>53659918
>>53659941
There are probably some intel 286 print servers still running since the early 1990s somewhere, I know I wouldnt be surprised.
>>
>>53661944
Finnish/Estonian place names make pretty ebin hostnames, Tbh.

>>53662036
There's a real estate office by me that had an 386 or late-model 286 with a bunch of disks prominently placed near the window until last year or so, I always wondered what they used it for.

Shit, my 32 year old IBM PC/XT was in regular use until about 2005 or so, or whenever the guy couldn't get down to the basement anymore.
>>
>>53659646
I've got an old IBM Aptiva I've been thinking about turning into an NT4 server. Absolutely no clue what to use it for but NT4 just seems like the fitting OS
>>
Make sure to safely shut off your computer! Otherwise Windows 10 will be automatically installed.
>>
>>53662233
I can't imagine it would be more useful than a newer operating system on a network with no other legacy systems, but terminal services and its support for AFP and other protocols that got dropped in later Windows versions can make pretty nifty as a file sharing/compute offloading workhorse for a shitbox collector.
>>
i work for a company that has plants all over the country. there are lots of machines running 2000 and earlier that handle ICS stuff.

hell one of the machines runs windows NT and controls a big ass crane. we had to reboot it recently to make changes to the host and no one had ever turned the thing off so we didnt know if it would come back online.

it was scary, but it came back up
>>
>>53659646
At work we do. It's runs a legacy logistics program. In the main office we run 7 but a few got upgraded so now the admins are doing checks to see if we can convert to linux.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.