[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone able to help, I'm looking for a site that does real
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: 1688401_sa.jpg (38 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1688401_sa.jpg
38 KB, 500x500
Anyone able to help, I'm looking for a site that does real comparative router reviews, not just shit out press releases.

My current router is having some issues with wireless, and trying to fix it could brick the thing, so I need to know what my next router will be before I go forward with any fixes as I have no internet at all without it, directly plugging the modem into my computer tends to not work anymore and I'm not sure why.
>>
>>53659008
Bump
>>
Let me just borrow you thread there, thanks:

What is THE best router at being a switch: 1 port, need it to split to 3, and providing wi-fi for a single small room?
Obviously i don't need 200$ one for that, max speeds I get are 15Mbp/s (~1.9MBp/s), so I don't need no fancy 5GHz AC Dual-Bands.
I just want something that'll work, and is guaranteed not to restart itself for dumb reasons for 8 hours straight (it'll be turned on only 8-10 hours a day)
>>
File: RB2011UAS-2Hnd.jpg (55 KB, 600x329) Image search: [Google]
RB2011UAS-2Hnd.jpg
55 KB, 600x329
>>53660088
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BGIXOHQ/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687642&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00DYWE2Z0&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1R4SQJ6BKJ544MJXWDGM

Read the reviews. Then enjoy.
>>
>>53660088
No worry, if it keeps the thread alive so be it.

But seriously, ANYONE know a good website for reviews? All i'm getting anywhere I ask is get a phone, told to fuck off, no responses at all, or my favorite on the work safe request board, someone thinking i'm doing it for a company and skimping on paying someone who actually works in it...

Because the wired connections work, and the important devices also work, I am able to hold off on this being a need it now deal, but the issues I have have been going on for 2 weeks now and this shit is no longer funny. I'm not even asking for routers or even help with the one I have, just point me at a review site.
>>
>>53659008
Your next router > >>53660235

what router do you currently have?
>>
>>53660370
Sans the my router is is having issues right now, that is a downgrade from what I have, and I need ac for what I plan on doing in the next few months.

RT-AC68R is what I currently have
>>
>>53660235
This is a good router OP. Yet I hope you're not inept as you'll have to troubleshoot in case something goes wrong and it wont be as simple as most consumer routers. Yet if you can manage you'll be fine.
>>
>>53660474
Don't click on what you don't know and you will be fine else paperclip reset. -=)

>>53660450
Problem #1 in your search for a router: Buying a router from a company that makes Computer motherboards, gpus, monitors, phones and laptops.

If you want a good router with stability then you need to look at routers with out all the gimmicks.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

This will be my setup in a month or two:(I did not go over all spec yet)

Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X x ER-X-SFP-US Advanced Gigabit 6-port Router with PoE and SFP

UBIQUITI NETWORK UAP-AC-PRO 802.11ac Dual-Radio AP
>>
>>53660849
That is true, I would rather get setups from non asus manufactures, people who make a good firmware with good hardware, something that is VERY hit or miss from asus, but anything pro... there are no consumer reviews and the only thing i'm able to find is "this is fantastic" reviews for something that is 300+$

No stats.
No benchmarks.
No points of reference, and this is the most important part. Mine was finding my old Belkin router s review and then looking at what the asus one was on the same website, with the same scale, that told me exactly how shit the Belkin was amd how much better the asus was.

It was between a few different routers, but asus had the best performance for price and reviews at the time, not to mention local availability, remember, no internet what so ever if the router dies.

All that I want is a site that will tell me what routers are good and what ones are bad, preferably ones that have extensive lists so I can compare.

I can probably save the router we have, but before I do any dicking around, I want my next one lined up so I dont end up going somewhere to get a new one, and have no fucking clue how good anything is... last time that happened was wireless N belkin and it was the bane of my existence for a long time and i never realized it. I just assumed wireless was that shit but everyone used it because its more continent than running cable everywhere.
>>
>>53660235
That's exactly what I don't need.
I wanted something cheap with 3 or more ports, 1 WAN, and an antennae, but it must be really reliable
<50$ is what I'm willing to pay
>>
>>53661697
I'm in for 200-300 leaning closer to 200 unless there is a compelling enough reason to go higher.
>>
>>53661697
TP-Link TL-WR841ND with OpenWRT installed.
v9, v10 are preferable and easy to modify, v11 needs one extra step to get OpenWRT running.
https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr841nd

I have it, I use it, it's great and stable as fuck. If you're too chicken to flash OpenWRT then don't bother cause stock firmware is garbage.
>>
File: Titled.png (4 MB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
Titled.png
4 MB, 2000x2000
>>53661876
Thank you! Was installing OpenWRT really as easy as using the web interface, choosing the file and clicking upgrade? Can you then download PuTTy use thing comman: passwd root *password*, then use that as log-in info in the web interface?

Doesn't seem even half as complicated as I always imagined it
>>
>>53662379
Sorry I was away. On my v9 the only thing I had to do is to rename OpenWRT image to something that looked like stock software and flash it through web interface. OpenWRT comes with SSH support via Dropbear but that can be replaced with something else using built in repo. It comes in with apt and all that stuff.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.