[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Game Development Tips
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3
File: unreal.jpg (7 KB, 298x169) Image search: [Google]
unreal.jpg
7 KB, 298x169
Me and a couple of my friends want to start making games, how ever some of us (including myself) are pretty inexperienced. Any tips people can give us to help us get started?
>>
>>53657984
cgpeers.com
>>
What IDE are you thinking to use?
>>
>>53658005
I was thinking Unreal because its free and i have no money
>>
How inexperienced? Unity is retard easy. Godot engine looks pretty cool for all open source.
>>
>>53658016

What about Unity? It's free.

Which platform?
>>
File: op.png (64 KB, 1258x618) Image search: [Google]
op.png
64 KB, 1258x618
>>53658016
C G P E E R S MOTHER FUCKING WHY ARE YOU SO DENSE
>>
>>53658033
>10% of everything you earn
>cryengine you pay $10 once and everything you earn is yours to keep
wew lad its like you are retarded on purpose.
>>
>>53658037
Registration is closed on the website, and it wouldnt let me do anything on it
>>
File: cgpeers_closed.png (14 KB, 859x398) Image search: [Google]
cgpeers_closed.png
14 KB, 859x398
>>53658037

It's closed.
>>
>>53658044

Yeah I'm retarded just for you. :3
>>
>>53658048
you wait a day AND THEN YOU FUCKING REGISTER.IS THIS YOUR FIRST DAY ON THE INTERNET?
IS IT SO HARD FR YOU TO CHECK IF REGISTRATION IS OPEN FEW TIMES A DAY FOR A WEEK?????
THEY LITERALLY HAVE EVERYTHING YOU WILL EVER NEED AND CERTAINLY MORE THAT /g/ CAN GIVE YOU

FUCKING WOW
>>
>>53658032
My friend knows how to model and code with unity and tried to start a project and put it on steam but it didn't make it past green light
>>
>>53658061
Do you now how to read or that too is too difficult for you??
Opens up on the first.
Now sit thigh and wait
>>
>>53658016

Which platform are you targeting?
>>
>>53658087

I know, but what about if I need it today?
>>
>>53658089
PC
>>
>>53658093
Tell me what books you need and what video tutorials, or programs or whatever I will download for you and upload on mega.

Now speak you fucking idiot

>BUT BUT I WANT TO MAEK GAYMS WITH MYUH FRIENDS
>>
>>53658093
you know what fuck you even this much is way to much help for you.
go choke on a dick and beg someone else to help you
>>
>>53658044
Cryengine V is completely free in price and you pay no royalties.
>>
>>53658124
That wasn't me that was some other guy. I know how to wait it's not like im in a huge fucking hurry
>>
>>53658116
Wasn't me that was some other fuck wad
>>
>>53657984
Try doing something in Unity first since I think that's easier.
>>
>>53658083
I'd say keep going with Unity since you somebody knows it a little bit.
>>
>>53657984
Try Unity, not Unreal.
Also your team should have at least an experienced programmer.
When it comes to design you find lots of creative commons art online to play with
>>
>>53658277
We have one programmer and hes pretty good and has made a game. Only issue with his game was he used stolen assets
>>
>>53658116
Do you have anything on Unity FPS development?
>>
>>53658044
Unity is also royalty free.
There only caveat is, if you make over $100,000 in one year. You must buy and use Unity Pro for future releases. But what is $1500 anyway when you have enough profit.
>>
>>53658033
Actually the free version requires you display unity logos and splash screens that make it clear your using the poorfag version, it actually costs quite a bit for something you could publish.
I'd go for unreal as there's no upfront cost. Not sure about cryengine, I'm sure the engine is good but it depends if it lends itself well to the kind of game you want to make.
>>
>>53658316
If you want to do an FPS then why not use Unreal. It's pretty much FPS ready out of the box with all the netwrking stuff being much easier to setup then with unity.
>>
>Pick a base for the game. What it is, what it's going to do, how it's going to play out.
For example Factorio is logistics hell, cave story & metroid are side shooty storytelling, minecraft is 3d sandbox, etc.
>Have set roles. You do art, someone else level design, someone else sounds, etc.
You need to know what your next step is and what you need to do to get there. But first-
>Avoid adding features.
It's called feature creep, where the project just stops trying to figure out how to add everything. If you're making a platformer, build a square room with a platform. Make the character able to move, jump, shoot, interact, etc. Get it down and polish the shit out of this most basic of elements before you even consider what level 1 is going to look like.
>Once you have the basis of the game, it's graphics, and controls smoothed out it is time to start working on the first level.
Storyboards work.

Finally, know when it's good enough to release. It'll never be perfect, but spending too long in development is a guaranteed bullet to the head.
>>
>>53658132
BS I do work with CE and there s monthly subscription even in the version V.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.