[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Okay /g/ Im want to install gentoo although I know Im not ready
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: marijuana.jpg (33 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
marijuana.jpg
33 KB, 600x450
Okay /g/ Im want to install gentoo although I know Im not ready but fuck being a pleb right, so what would you recommend I study slash read to prepare myself. Im not an idiot but Im coming from mint here so give me some advice. Id install arch but why not go all out if im only going to be dreaming about gentoo. what is the minimal install cd? i doubt i want that but yea... I MUST INSTALL GENTOO. tell me what to read and i will do it. any legit advice will be valued thanks for your time
>>
just stick with mint, don't listen to /g/
>>
Just follow the official install documentation. If you know how to partition a hard drive you'll be fine.

The minimal install CD is just a live cd with the tools you need to install; these are pretty much all standard tools you'll find on any live cd (mkfs, wget, tar etc)
I'd actually recommend installing from a less-minimal live cd - does the mint installer double as a live cd?
>>
>>53657847
If you're plannlng to install it in UEFI mode, DON'T İNSTALL THE MINIMAL INSATLLER! Install live CD.
>>
>>53657879
I can partition although I dont know wheather im sizing properly. the stuff that im worried about is making my own kernel and other stuff i read about on here that i have no idea about.

Say i have a 500 GB hdd What would i partiton it like if i just want one os.
>>
>>53657871
I just had the dumbest shit happen with mint where i was unable to log in and had to use a live dvd to get as much of my files off as i could i dont want to use mint right now lol
>>
To be honest, I just take the lazy option. 500MB boot partition, rest for /
If I had <=4GB RAM, I'd probably make a 4GB swap partition too.

If you think you're gonna be distro hopping a lot, then a dedicated home partition could make sense, but most of the time it's more trouble than it's worth.
>>
>>53657956
If i get on gentoo ill be staying. I do everything else in vms
>>
>>53657981
how do you know you need it, like it, or even want it if you've never used it? I don't understand.

you aren't making your own kernel you're compiling one.... if you want to make your own operating system then do that instead
>>
>>53658007
I want it because Iv heard its the most customizable linux distro and I like to learn. and theres alot for mo to learn here.
>>
>>53657847
>tell me what to read and i will do it.
the installation documentation?

use SystemRescueCD rather than the minimal install CD

if kernel compilation worries you then use genkernel and then revisit your kernel config once you become more aware of your needs

/boot, swap, and root are the partitions you'll need. use the outline given in the install documentation.
>>
>>53658023
linux from scratch is also customizable and theres a whole book on how to use it. If you want to customize your computer you're going to have to read the documentation of what you plan on customizing.

If you have access to your root account in your operating system, you can literally customize anything you want maybe aside from the kernel you are CURRENTLY running.... read the install documentation i dont even know what else you would want to read
>>
>>53658023
It doesn't feel at all like learning specifically how to install some niche distribution of a niche operating systme is very valuable... Anything else you learn besides using emerge and the actual installation is all stuff you would have learned on any other distribution is what im trying to say
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.