[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
EoP
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3
File: TP-Link_TL-PA210KIT.jpg (20 KB, 600x363) Image search: [Google]
TP-Link_TL-PA210KIT.jpg
20 KB, 600x363
How well to Ethernet over Power-line adapters work? I think that I'm having radio interference with my wifi adapter and I'm looking for solutions. Would I just end up with the same issue?
>>
>>53656993
They are great. I use the ones in the pic. But plug them directly into the Wall
>>
Pretty good, I can use steam streaming & plex while on the treadmill in my garage ~60ft from the house.
>>
Do you know if they get any radio interference?
>>
>>53657059
Shouldn't have any. Not the same bandwidth spectrum. Just be prepared for an added additional 80 ping to whatever you have
>>
>>53656993
just run a really long cord, nothing beats the real thing
>>
>>53657222
No way your ping is going to raise that much unless you have a REALLY big house or you don't plug them directly into the wall..
>>
>>53657271
I used one for years. It probably went over about, 100 feet of electrical lines in the house point to point. My ping was 30 before using it and it went up to 85-105 after I started using it instead of wi-fi
>>
Got one (two actually) from dlink and they are shit. When it works it's great, but for like 60% of time I cant get connection
>>
The power line adapters have to be on the same wiring circuit to work. How well they work depends on how long the line is from a to b and the quality of the wiring connections to the outlets, including all of the outlets in-between that serve as a junction for the next outlet.
Outlets can get crummy over time.
>>
>>53656993
I tried installing these for my brother because he wouldn't let me run cat 6. They put lines on his plasma TV and that was the end of it. Wouldn't even let me test throughput. Frustrating to say the least. A lot of appliances do not have enough filtering to properly handle the modulation done by these devices.

Hell, the triac in my dimmer switches makes the microwave buzz in idle. Annoying as fuck.
>>
>>53657248
Not so easy to run these upstairs
>>
make sure to plug in as close as possible to your computer
>>
>>53656993

Don't use these, they massively interfere with radio ham's equipment and will ruin the hobby for any hams in your local area.

http://www.ban-plt.org.uk/videos.php
>>
>>53657271
>>53657029
What do you mean directly into the wall? Do extension cords fuck with it somehow?
>>
I have those, I put it on an extension of an extension and it works flawlessly.
>>
>>53658011
Yes
>>
Me and my room mates use them they are pretty good for us but our place is small

Wiring is shit-tier here though and it still has strong signal. Not much more to say really, if you aren't living in a permanent place and can't run wires or don't want to muck around with installing a network, they are neat
>>
>>53657977
Who cares?
>>
>>53658591

>my hobby is more important than your hobby

fuck off child.
>>
File: HAHA-GIF.gif (543 KB, 480x228) Image search: [Google]
HAHA-GIF.gif
543 KB, 480x228
>>53658888
>ham radio autist

just use facebook or skype you noob
>>
>>53658888
Maybe your hobby should adapt to a changing world. Plus being able to use the internet without interference is not a hobby.
>>
>>53656993
They work fine if the wiring in your house is somewhat sane or you aren't going that far. I go up two floors to opposite corners and they work reasonably well.
>>
Performance varies by a lot. I tried those in my house and I kept getting random drops. The connection didn't outright terminate, its speed would just suddenly and randomly crawl to like 10kbyte/sec.

Eventually I just bit the bullet and ran CAT5e through my crawlspace.
>>
>>53657287
You have really bad wiring then.
I'm using a tplink eop and I went from 120 ping on WiFi to 30.
>>
>>53657248
When you live in a house with multiple floors, that's impractical.
>>
PowerLine works well
>>
>>53659557
>not pinning loads of cables to the ceiling
come on man
>>
>>53658011
>>53658106
not extension cords per se, but rather power strips. Basically you don't want anything that will add interference or a breaker to the flow of electricity which carries your ethernet signal.

I use a 500mbps netgear model to go from my basement to my upstairs router in my 100 year old house and it works great over my knob and tube copper wiring; I get about 100mbps, which is better than my a/b/g/n wireless.
>>
I Live in a flat, second floor, wonder if that's why those do not work for me.
>>
>>53656993
they work well, just know that certain games will have worse ping than wifi for what I can only assume is shit networking on their end, as other games worked fine and dl speed was almost as good as direct ethernet.
>>
>>53656993
They're nice if the cables in your walls aren't too old. The house my family lives in was built by my father about 40-50 years ago and they work well.
Only 10Mbit/s though, but that might just depend on the model. Ours are pretty old.

Also this is important if you don't want random disconnect and having to resync them all the fucking time (which is a pain in the ass if you're using 4 like we do)
>>53657029
>>
File: hitler glow sticks.gif (277 KB, 240x287) Image search: [Google]
hitler glow sticks.gif
277 KB, 240x287
I have a solution for you...
>>
>>53659805
Plug one as electrically close to the breaker box as possible.
>>
>>53660526
They are as close as possible. Flat is from 2015, and distance from the router to 1st plug is 1m, same for the other. Distance between two plugs is about 8 meters. Distance from breaker box is roughly the same.

Why can't I get reliable connection. Wifi gets about 50% power which ain't bad, but I need Moar.
>>
How well they work depends heavily on how your house is wired. If I plug mine into certain outlets, I can reach almost the same speed/ping as a normal wired connection.

Other outlets, however, will only get me about 25 Mb/s, and add around 10 ping
>>
>>53660575
Hmm, is there a way to get them onto the same circuit? Which plugs are you using (brand)?
>>
>>53660627
Yeah, I could try. I'm pretty sure I know at least one wall has two outlets on the same cable. Yeah, I'll try that.
It's dlink PowerLine dhp 329av
>>
I'm huge dummy about electricity. I can understand that any device can be broken if problem with electricity happens (short circuit?).

Is there a risk, that a surge can go through twisted pair?
>>
>>53658591
Because the hams will track you down and file complaints with the FCC, at which point you'll be forced to change it or face fines.
>>
Ok, i'll hijack this thread to ask my stupid question, how to transfer files between XP and Win7 if i also have the switch? Any software for that?
>>
Those work up to 250mhz while wifi is at 2.4ghz, no chance of interference.
>>
>>53658591
Who cares about your inability to survive without a telescreen in every room? Just walk downstairs you fat fuck.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.