[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are Linux libraries needed when writing a driver? Aren't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: 1382173167424.png (164 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1382173167424.png
164 KB, 1920x1080
Why are Linux libraries needed when writing a driver? Aren't they supposed to work without any help from the operating system?
>>
>reinventing the wheel
Seriously tho, how the fuck is your driver supposed to communicate with the OS without a standardized API?
>>
>>53655077
Why would it l need to do that when it can just provide it's own custom interface that was built for interacting with the device? I wouldn't it be much more efficient.
>>
>>53654944
Well, how else are you going to call into the kernel for stuff like printk or registering devices?
>>
>>53656002
They aren't needed, and it can just use it's own interface.

A buddy of mine wrote his own TCP stack for example, but really...why would you need to do that and why would you want to?
>>
>>53656045
>>53656117

But the BIOS knows what kind of information to send to the monitor during startup without any system calls or any OS interfacing for than matter. Why can't Linux do the same?
>>
>>53656328
The driver is useless without providing its functionality to OS.
>>
>>53656328
Linux is the kernel but most drivers run better with Arch Linux than windballz. Arhc Linxu, ti juts wersk!
>>
wtf OP
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.