[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm very familiar with Intel's processors, however
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4
File: amd_vs_intel-cpu1[1].jpg (188 KB, 640x382) Image search: [Google]
amd_vs_intel-cpu1[1].jpg
188 KB, 640x382
I'm very familiar with Intel's processors, however I want to build a gaming rig that is cheap ($200 budget), so I'm opting for AMD processors.

I will have a GeForce 550ti for basically anything you throw at me, so how can I get the best performance out of it for the cheapest price? Also, I'm buying a new motherboard and DDR4 RAM, so I'm really looking for the cheapest way to get the best performance out of those.

As for the Intel route I have:
Intel i3-6100 Skylake processor with HT ($124)
GIGABYTE GA-H110M-A Intel Motherboard ($56)
8GB 288-pin DDR4 PC4 17000
>>
>>53653438
>however I want to build a gaming rig that is cheap ($200 budget), so I'm opting for AMD processors.

Well, you've already made an error there. Used market has cheap Intel processors, so no reason to automatically take them out of the running.
>>
well amd doesn't currently support ddr4. only haswell-e and skylake from intel do.
>>
>>53653495
All items are coming from Newegg because I have ShopRunner 2-day shipping (which also doesn't have certain items).
>>
>>53653504
How much of a performance boost does DDR4 actually give over DDR3? Especially with Skylake processor? I'm seeing amazing speeds on AMD processors, but is Intel really THAT much better? Essentially, is it worth saving another $50 to extend my budget to afford exclusively Intel items?
>>
>>53653540
well amd doesn't support ddr4 and amd processors do not work on intel motherboards.

so you would have to go pure amd. the only thing you would save on is the processor.

ddr4 ram is near ddr3 prices now. might be slightly more but not much. intel motherboards, well the one you picked, you can't get cheaper on amd. it be the same.

the i3 destroys everything amd has to offer. even their 8 cores in most games. only place where amd takes the lead is heavy multi-threaded programs.

but considering you will only have a 550ti i would go i3.
>>
where are the amd shills? are they gonna let a user go intel?
>>
>>53653619
Maybe they've finally realized that AMD is literally irrelevant these days.
>>
>>53653619
I think their moms made them go to bed early.
>>
>>53653600
Goddamn, thankyou for actual help.

>>53653619
If even an i3 is more powerful than their 8core processors, then yes.

>>53653630
Guess so, I talked to my speech professor about hardware since he's a huge hardware junkie, but he assumed I was talking about Intel when I talked about processors, I don't even think AMD struck his mind.
>>
>>53653438
Get a used Sandy bridge or wait for Zen.

The actual AMD processors are horrible for gaming, ok for daily use though.
>>
Supposedly i3 Dual Core with HT is like a Quad-core

According to pcmag.com
>>
>>53653793
99% of games can't use HT.

Which is why i5 is always recommended for gaming, 4 real cores, instead of 2+HT or 4+HT in i7's case.
>>
>Gaming rig
>$200
>rig

Anyways, you could go the i3 route but for two hundo, you should set the bar for expectancy nice and low.
>>
Currently running an AMD 8150, system is about 5 years old, for the most part it runs well.

I don't have problems until I run Firefox with at least a dozen tabs open, plus uTorrent with 10 or more downloads. After which things start to bog down. I'm planning to upgrade to an AMD 8350.
>>
>>53653600
He asked about performance and you said absolutely nothing about it
>>
File: homer.png (213 KB, 608x448) Image search: [Google]
homer.png
213 KB, 608x448
>>53653866
For the most part, as long as it can scale to the total amount of threads, it can take advantage of HT. The problem with core i7 and dx11 era games is that it has more threads than the game can use, not that the game can't work with HT.
>>
File: amd-fx-processor.png (71 KB, 295x249) Image search: [Google]
amd-fx-processor.png
71 KB, 295x249
>>53653438
OP don't listen to these intel fan boys. AMD has an 8 core processor for half the price as intel shit quad core.. Also it's been proven that amd processors reign supreme over intels single core performance. Trust me bro go amd, you will not be disappointed.
>>
>>53653688
>If even an i3 is more powerful than their 8core processors, then yes.
reading comprehension F-
>>
>>53654951
>i7 owner

Frostbite engine =/= all games
>>
You want actual advice? Don't listen to /g/.

Whatever you buy from /g/ advice, do me a favor and don't feel so sour over it that you have to come here and trick other people into making the same mistake you did
>>
sigh*

AMD Athlon X4 860K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor
Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-D3H Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard
reuse your DDR3 memory or by more i dont give a shit the mobo is rated up to 2133mhz
Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

lastly stop being a stingy faggot and fork over 90$ for a 750TI or better yet buy a used 7870/270x or 7950/280

a 750ti is literally twice as fast as the peice of shit your using and its weak as fuck compared to a 7950 which can drive high/ultra in 1080p games and used ones can be had for around 120-ish
>>
File: 1446930114072.jpg (92 KB, 523x440) Image search: [Google]
1446930114072.jpg
92 KB, 523x440
i'd look towards the 8320e - I don't know how much it is in burgers but its arguably the best fx chip AMD make due to 1) being part of their 8 core line, 2) its a low(er) voltage model and 3) tends to hover around i3 prices.

Slap it on a decent 970 mobo and you'd probably squeeze 4.4ghz out of it which effectively turns your little chip into a 9370.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.