[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi guys, I want to make the jump to linux on my gaming rig.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: 23750-tlsgalleryportrait.jpg (93 KB, 404x620) Image search: [Google]
23750-tlsgalleryportrait.jpg
93 KB, 404x620
Hi guys, I want to make the jump to linux on my gaming rig.

I have AMD R390.

What's the Driver support like for AMD Cards and what would the best dristro.

I used to use opensuse and shit back in the day but this was like pre flash compatibility
>>
ubantu probably
for the drivers you should use proprietary in amd cuz mesa is shit
>>
>>53653505
terrible and uninformed advice.
>http://www.pcworld.com/article/3043044/linux/why-linux-gamers-with-radeon-gpus-may-want-to-avoid-ubuntu-1604-lts.html
>>
>>53654146
how will i ever play tuxracer????
>>
>>53653089
>What's the Driver support like for AMD Cards and what would the best dristro.
WORKS
ON
MY
MACHINE
>Ubuntu 14, btw
>>
don't be a pussy

go arch
>>
>>53653089
>AMD
Stay in Windows.
>>
File: 1434227336845.jpg (10 KB, 171x176) Image search: [Google]
1434227336845.jpg
10 KB, 171x176
>>53653089
>linux
>gaming
>>
>>53653089
>What's the Driver support like for AMD Cards
lol
>>
>>53654238
This or >>53654221
In the forums there are people maintaining older versions of xorg and a patched fglrx for newer kernels
>>
>>53654259

also, yea, this dude is right, Linux game selection is pretty weak

dual boot Windows w/ Linux and install rEFInd

use Windows for games and Linux for everything else
>>
>>53654289
>Dualbooting
Waste of time.
>>
>>53654289

Fuck dual booting. I just play my windows games on linux using steam link. I have a desktop built just for gaming that has no monitor connected to it or anything and just running nothing but windows and steam 24/7. My main desktop is Arch and I use steam link to play games. I just use the integrated graphics card on my Arch machine since the windows machine is doing all the work.
>>
>>53654289

What about virtualising?

I have an i7 4770k and a gtx 980 and have been considering moving to Linux while running a vm for Windows games. Is a Windows install on a vm going to be able to properly utilize my hardware?
>>
>>53654358
A VM will never be able to use your hardware properly.
Sadly not even a PCIe passthrough would be viable to you because of your CPU.
>>
>>53654358

I'm pretty sure you're going to take a hit to performance if you virtualize. My friend uses the reverse, a Windows 10 with a Linux VM, but I know a lot of people on this board are probably paranoid about using Windows altogether

If you're not playing games that are pushing the system then it's not a big deal, but if you want to max Witcher 3 or something like that then you might not get the best performance running it in a Windows VM
>>
>>53654344

Lol, this is actually a pretty good idea. I'm just too lazy at this point to bother setting up a second desktop. I'd rather just reboot to swap OS because I'm using NVMe anyways so it takes maybe twenty seconds.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.