[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So riddle me this, /g/. Why all the fiddling with open source,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 7
File: serveimage (2).gif (56 KB, 330x435) Image search: [Google]
serveimage (2).gif
56 KB, 330x435
So riddle me this, /g/.

Why all the fiddling with open source, why worry with linux when you can just boot Windows?

I'm not trying to troll, I just want to know a legitimate reason why you all try so hard to push an ideology that's just unnecessary. There's already free software, so what if it mines your data, what's wrong with selling yourself as a commodity?

A little insight would be nice, I can see the allure of being able to tweak programs to your liking if they're open source, but why try so hard to make it the norm?
>>
File: trollface.jpg (87 KB, 469x428) Image search: [Google]
trollface.jpg
87 KB, 469x428
>>
Monopoly is bad
>>
Windows is shite.
>>
I just wanted an actual discussion, /g/.
>>
Nice bait
>>
>>53652006
I know it's bait but

It's free as in freedom, not price. That's why it's libre software not gratis software. If a piece of software mines your data, it's not free software.
>>
You seem to be overlooking how powerful a unix-style system is to Windows. Sure, you can find a lot of mangled shit to simulate a real system, but for the most part Windows is a toy OS that most people run because they don't want to be bothered to learn what a computer is or how to use one for development. It makes sense. Those of us who create the things you use need something more than Windows provides. It really is that simple.
>>
>>53652143
>>53652919
This and this.
>>
Once you learn how a UNIX system works inside and out, you'll understand the massive clusterfucked mess that is Windows.
Being serious here, having total control over your computer is a rarity these days...
>>
File: tux_ascii.png (6 KB, 245x240) Image search: [Google]
tux_ascii.png
6 KB, 245x240
>>53652006
Windows as a product is failing. Today a lot of device run on some variant of linux, unless Mac OSX, where servers run oracle and your Samsung Galaxy S6 runs Android and it's still growing with tons more potential. The reasons behind why Microsoft has a successful product line with Windows in the first place is because of deals they originally made with IBM. IBM with Microsoft software made home computing a breeze for millions. Contracts and publicity gravitated device manufactures to tailor mostly toward Windows operating systems and that set the seeds for brand loyalty at its finest.

There are many people out who do not know what linux actually is let alone distinguish it from people trying to make a difference and people who just want to break into system to steal information. It's all heavily influenced by the large corporation as known as Microsoft and it's partners.

In recent months though, Microsoft releasing it's final operating system as known as Windows 10 poses as a way of saying "After this, we are discontinuing Windows." As much as any Windows user is concerned, this will put everyone in one of two categories: Linux or OSX. With Windows 10 Support end date set to October 14th 2025, Linux will must likely be pre-installed on new OEM PCs. Steam also backing Linux speaks volumes of where the market is going. Microsoft is even porting SQL server to Linux which is mind-blowing. Windows 10 package installer mirrors almost perfectly with the Linux package installer is a way of trying to hlep us understand a small bit of Linux when the time comes to make the biggest jump in our computing lives.

FUN FACT: Windows 9 would have confused the bootloader and make it search for Windows 95 and 98 causing a broken bootloader issue.
>>
>>53652006
windows is good for when you need photoshop. day to day you don't want the computer to be spying on you tho
>>
>>53652006
how do you know I'm not using linux for other reasons?
>>
>>53653369
Just like OSX is the last OS by Apple

Fucking idiot. Get your head out of your ass.
>>
>>53652006
open source is not the same as free software.

>what's wrong with selling yourself as a commodity?

if you can't see that by yourself there's very little we can do for you OP.
>>
>>53652006
>This book.

What the fuck is up with the author? He makes Stallman seem like a retarded man child who's totally out of touch with reality. Richard Stallman is a genius, and has devoted his life to providing us free software. We shouldn't treat him like some character in a show, he's much more complicated than that. He is Jesus. I mean, just fucking look at the guy. He said he was coming back, and now he's here...
>>
>>53653118
>Once you learn how a UNIX system works inside and out
shame it's so difficult for an idiot like me.
>tfw my primary justification for trying to get into using GNU/Linux is baby-duck syndrome for Windows mixed with being too cheap to keep buying Macs.
>>
>>53652006
mpv https://audio-video.gnu.org/video/2015-07-10--rms--a-free-digital-society--720p.webm

He explains what free software is and why its important more completely and eloquently than we can off the top of our heads.
>>
File: textFace0037.jpg (7 KB, 340x270) Image search: [Google]
textFace0037.jpg
7 KB, 340x270
>>53653550
And what part do I need to pull my head out of my ass for? And no, I do not know apple products that well enough. That and who pissed you off? I am only answering the question to the best of my knowledge for the OP. Buddy, no need to be hostile.
>>
>>53652006
>why you all try so hard to push an ideology that's just unnecessary
Unnecessary you say? Read Orwell's 1984 and think about that unnecessary part.
>>
>>53656511
Kek'd
Plebs be plebbin'
>>
4chan is not a replacement for Google, nor is it a platform for Microsoft to push their FUD.

Either way, OP, fuck off.
>>
>>53656888
>Tells anon to Google it.
>Google
>fucking botnet
You don't belong here, get out.
>>
>>53656917
>waaaa mah botnet
Dipshit, and also Google is a fucking generic word for "search for it", you little uneducated shit.

Or you're just a mad little Microsoft drone that's buttmad I exposed your little scheme. Either way, get out.
>>
>>53656932
>what is tivoisation
>>
>>53656941
>what is non sequitur
The fuck is wrong with you, paid Microsoft bot? You broken?
>>
>>53656979
>I call botnet on your bullshit
>You call me M$ shill for some reason
What is going on in your head?
You do know Microsoft is botnet too, right?
Oh wait, am I talking to that million dollar shitpost AI Google made?
>>
>>53657011
This has to be a Microsoft FUD bot. It makes less sense every time it posts.

And yet if I call it out mods will ban me again... for actually trying to keep out Microsoft paid botnet posts.

Makes perfect sense, yo. I guess MS has paid off 4chan to let their botnets invade.
>>
I really think it's nice that prolly 90 percent of users here that scream that any os that is mining data is awefull and taking muh freedums, probably has an Android phone because of muh open software. Not realising that Google ks actually 10 times worse then ms.
>>
File: 1457639367896.jpg (38 KB, 362x346) Image search: [Google]
1457639367896.jpg
38 KB, 362x346
>>53652006
>why worry with linux when you can just boot Windows?
why worry with windows when you can just boot linux?
>>
>>53657033
>I say Microsoft is crappy botnet
>Somehow I'm still a paid MS bot?
Yeah, I can tell you're grasping at straws here, stop wasting your time.
>>
Not him, but what is the big differences between Open Source and Free software?

Is it that open source can contain non-open source/licensed software, I.E, Firefox and free software every component is open source and uses some form of free license like GNU?
>>
>>53657045
Not even that, like most here probably regularly uses Windows and are just talking bull. There is a pretty big Windows majority here last I checked.
>>
>>53657159
RMS has a great write-up regarding FOSS vs FLOSS here:
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/floss-and-foss.en.html
>>
>>53657178
Thanks m8.
>>
>>53657172
While many of us do use androids (botnet), I use a Thinkpad running Debian.
>>
>>53657178
>>53657183
So if I get this right, Free Software is more about the politics behind the software, while Open Source is more about just "getting the job done"?

And Open Source sometimes has more worse licenses.
>>
Windows is fine and serves people who just want to get work done without being an expert in every detail of the OS
Everyone will keep bashing Windows yet Windows will continue to dominate until some other company realizes you actually have to spend money and make a profit to produce something good
>>
>>53657245
Or you know, have the budget to make computer manufactures include the OS by default.

Normies will pretty much never install a new OS in their life.
>>
>>53657231
FLOSS = Software which respects your freedom
FOSS = Software which is free as in beer but does not respect your freedom.
Try to refer to software which respects your freedom as "libre software".

Fun fact: The name " libre software" comes from "lucha libre" - a type of wrestling which allows a lot of freedom of movement while fighting.
>>
>>53657264
>Fun fact: The name " libre software" comes from "lucha libre" - a type of wrestling which allows a lot of freedom of movement while fighting.
sure it's not just because english doesn't have a word that means specifically "free as in freedom"?
>>
>>53654201
Buy some cheap electronics, like a refurbished thinkpad or old business class laptop for 200 dollars, and install linux in it to learn.
>>
>>53652006
There are people who like to tinker with their system so it looks and performs as they want and there are people who don't find joy in that or don't have knowledge on how to do it. I personally dislike Windows versions after Windows 7 but I guess it's a personal preference.
>>
>>53653369
started out decent, ended up as low quality bait.

then again, we find ourselves in a low quality bait thread
>>
>>53654138
he's autistic and his personality is harmful the the FOSS community
>>
>>53657245
Linux, being created out of the good will of other people, will never be as good as M$.
Sadly, Linux is pretty fuckin unstable in the hands of the untrained, though that doesn't mean it will always be that way, take android/linux for example, very stable OS, it's hard for the normie user to fuck it up somehow.
This is due to it hiding the OS behind a "safe space" i.e: applications which interact with the OS safely and have been tested not to fuck up (play store, settings app)
The main point is that normie users with mainstream Linux have poorly made "safe interfaces" and when normies try to find help on the internet, they get advice which requires using apt-get or editing some system files as root directly.
This causes one big clusterfuck and leaves their distro as useful as a solidified cumstain.
"What's the solution?", you ask?
Well, right now the Linux community is very fragmented and developers have a horrible history of working together (search up Linux audio mess, it's fucked).
It needs to be standardised!
We've got over 100 distros and they're all concerned with their own problems.
What if they all worked on one distro?
The end result would be much more stable and easier to use for normies.
And we all know more normies = more support from companies.
Though the promise of an overarching figure guiding the fragmented Linux community to a better, libre, future is stupidly low.
Why? Because money, it's that simple.
A miracle philanthropist coming out of nowhere to save the linux community?
Doubtful.

And so, Linux will remain an enthusiast os.
Sorry for the rambling, it just needed to be said.
>>
>>53652006
Because I love the fiddle part
>>
Why bother fiddling with windows when you can use free software?

I can understand that if your employer wants you to use a specific application that is not free, you might want to use a specialized setup for that, but why would free not be the default?

If you want to be in a fight club, I can sort of understand why you would go to a place where people attack each other, but that shouldn't make it the norm that everyone gets assaulted when they venture outside.
>>
>>53657435
>And so, Linux will remain an enthusiast os.
On the desktop. On servers it already dominates.
>>
>>53657538
Though I was mainly concerned with desktops, you're right, at least Linux has some significance for businesses.
>>
>>53652006
>why worry with linux when you can just boot Windows?

Shell scripting is great and very powerful, and I really hate both Windows equivalents. Also, I usually run a lightweight distro on a shitty netbook, which Windows would be too bloated for.

Not much reason for a normie to have it though.
>>
>>53657435
You couldn't be more wrong.
Android is very unstable, I wouldn't use that as a posterchild for what the gnu/linux desktop should be. Updating android is a fucking dice roll and when you have an error, you can't fix it on the device.
On a desktop, when an error occours, you might get an error message, you could dig into logs or kill the application, you can fix the problem.
On android all you get is an error message which, when you click "ok" you get another so you have to format the phone again.
Now it wouldn't be so bad if it was a rare thing, but it happens multiple times a week were you to update daily.
The result is that nobody wants to update because it is such a shitshow.

That aside, the play store, settings apps is the model gnu/linux have been using for many years.
Installing from a repository is a very safe way to install software and hassle free.
There is graphical frontends to a lot of config files, and the things that just have a text file is often readable so that all you have to do is uncomment options or change a few things.
If apt-get is the worst things people have to endure, I don't feel sorry for them.
Ubuntu used to have synaptic installed per default (a graphical frontend for apt-get) and you could still install it if you were scared entering text in places that weren't twitter or google.
>one distro
This is not an issue to anybody but people who wants to "review" a distro.
People are different.
At some point there will be a difference of opinion and there will be a split.
Sane people will just pick the same distro that seems to work for most people though.
Is it a problem that there is a android distro per phone manufacturer?
People take what they like and move on.
It is a good way to try different things without keeping everyone confused.

>A miracle philanthropist coming out of nowhere to save the linux community?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Shuttleworth
>>
>>53657615
Normies also don't explicitly need windows, so why should they use it if it takes advantage of them?
>>
>>53657747
because

a) they don't know it takes of advantage of them
b) they don't comprehend/understand the implications of it taking advantage of them
c) it comes preinstalled with the compaq laptop they bought.

End of fucking story
>>
File: rms1.jpg (166 KB, 1600x1067) Image search: [Google]
rms1.jpg
166 KB, 1600x1067
>>53657435
>Linux, being created out of the good will of other people, will never be as good as M$.

What the unholy hell are you talking about? By whose standard are you judging what is "good?" Microshit's operating systems are demonstrably poor-quality and harmful to users. While GNU/Linux (please use the correct fucking name) has taken awhile to be dumbed-down enough for the average idiot, it has always been both morally and technically superior. People always bitch about hardware issues, but It's because of unethical hardware companies locking up their devices such that creating drivers is either extremely difficult or impossible. Software patents have stifled innovation and created monopolies that, by anyone's standards, should be illegal. GNU/Linux faces these problems, and STILL, it is the best operating system available that both respects the users' freedoms and provides them with quality software. Fuck off with your ignorant bullshit that Microshit is superior; you haven't the faintest fucking idea what you are talking about.

Ave Santa IGNUcius.
>>
>>53657564
>Linux has some significance for businesses
>>
>>53657696
>Android is very unstable
You put up a good point, android does have a chance of screwing up an update, though unlike what you said, it is rare. (I've never lost an android to an update, though I don't do OTA, that's fucking stupid)

>That aside, the play store, settings apps is the model gnu/linux have been using for many years.
As I said before, "mainstream Linux have poorly made "safe interfaces".

>Installing from a repository is a very safe way to install software and hassle free.
While I agree it's a very powerful tool in the hands of an experienced user, when normies try updating their graphics drivers or linux kernel from there and they get errors?
Normies aren't used to working around errors AT ALL, they treat their computer like an alien machine and don't understand terms such as "kernel panic" or "X server".

>There is graphical frontends to a lot of config files, and the things that just have a text file is often readable so that all you have to do is uncomment options or change a few things.
Unix philosophy, though sadly normies don't understand the terms in the text file, for example, editing your X server to use intel's tear-free compositing, normies wouldn't even know what tear-free means or the settings and hardware required to turn it on properly.

>If apt-get is the worst things people have to endure, I don't feel sorry for them.
This is the kind of perspective that makes Linux an enthusiast OS.

>Sane people will just pick the same distro that seems to work for most people though.
It will be better to have one distro for all normies, they can't handle change, not even a bit, compatibility is increased with this aswell.

>Is it a problem that there is a android distro per phone manufacturer?
Literally the only thing they change is the launcher and some apps, the internals are still the same.

>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Shuttleworth
While he's helped he hasn't fixed any of the large problems gnu/linux has.
>>
>>53657909
By normie standards, sorry I should have mentioned that.
>>
>>53658604
>This is the kind of perspective that makes Linux an enthusiast OS.
nigga what is you talking, i installed mint on my parents pc because i was fucking tired of maintaining that piece of windows shit every month.... (both parents are 65+ yrs old) showed them the software center and how to get shit and they are happy, if they really screw something up(they can't because i'am root and they are not) i log in via ssh and look whats wrong... thats it.

tl;dr apt-get and synaptic are ten times easier to use than searching for a download, clicking on an installer and hope that it will not screw your system....

you windows fags are funny guys
>>
>>53658604
>While he's helped he hasn't fixed any of the large problems gnu/linux has.
care to list some examples? what are those big problems?
>>
>>53652991
Come back to me when you actually have a job. Tell me what decent tools Linux has that measure up to active directory, exchange and sccm.

I've got a million reasons why Linux is shit but I'm not even trying to argue that right now. Arguing windows is a toy OS is about intellectually dishonest as you can be. It has the most software and support options of any OS.
>>
>>53653405
Nice meme. Bet you use a Debian based distro.
>>
>>53660367
funny because i work in a company which runs 100% on linux except one macbook

maybe your admins are fancy-clicky-business-clown-tools because we got 3 unix hackers as real admins who are in charge of ldap and all that shit..... and if the boss wants something changed they change it in an instant without licensing some other bullcrap from MS
>>
>>53660693
Bet your company is huge.....

So you're telling me the end users in your company use Linux? All two of them? Hahahhahaha. Some virgins making a startup isn't a company.
>>
>>53660790
i know you are trolling but anyways

40 developers
5 admins
30 people in the support center

mention "windows is better" in your first half year in the company to make sure it is your last day.....

we are only the r&d branch of a bigger company with 800 people and yes the end users in our company use linux.

to explain a bit: we build vending machines and recycling machines which need to run 24/7 while connected to the internet...
show me how to do that with windows and you get 500 interwebs

btw: have you ever wondered why critical esa/nasa stuff runs on qnx/vxworks(real time unix) and not some winRC with feminist distributed realtime javascript?
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.