[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why does everything look like it was pulled from 2001 like it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4
File: 1.png (87 KB, 420x236) Image search: [Google]
1.png
87 KB, 420x236
why does everything look like it was pulled from 2001 like it was some sort of failed competitor to windows xp?

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
>>
>>53651223
>implying GNOME 3 isn't the most beautiful and most usable DE on Linux today
I'm sorry anon but you are an idiot. Gnome 3 inspired modern OSX, Windows 10, ios, and android design decisions.
>dark panels and light Windows
>centered clock
>flat design
>iconfied menus
>integrated back buttons

Gnome was ahead of its time.
>>
>>53651223
gnome 3 looks nothing like windows and it's actually very well done. not even a bug gnome fag but still. all respect. i see nothing start menu related here
>>
>>53651722
>>53651516

> icons look like an android icon pack from 08
> slow as fuck
> shitty app drawer like it was made for tablets
> default gnome programs like maps are garbage
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHqCJRFN-8M
>>
File: wPAAmUa.jpg (50 KB, 400x534) Image search: [Google]
wPAAmUa.jpg
50 KB, 400x534
>>53651722
I'm a noob so I can't tell if this is intentional but why does my computer only do multiple desktops on the primary display but not on the second monitor I connected to my lappy over VGA? Did gnome 3 creators want only the primary display to do multiple desktops or did I fail at installing Debian?

Pic unrelated
>>
>>53651757
It's not slow. Your computer just sucks desu. Like I said. not even a big gnome perosn. But nothing slow about it. Plenty of icons to choose... it's linux not windows. you can choose different themes and icons. ya dingus

>>53651822
No idea. never done multple moniors. but sure it's in settings or whatever
>>
>>53651836
People wonder why Linux isn't on the desktop yet, it's shit like crap icons, shit performance compared to windows and shitty font rendering that makes it a waste of time, meanwhile gnome devs are working on photo filters instead of fixing more important things.
>>
>>53651836
Not him but it is slow. Specs:

i5 4460
R9 280x
8gb of RAM

This should deal with it smoothly. It doesn't. Even hackintosh is faster.
>>
Doesn't help that the shitty linux community wants to keep linux harder to use for the sake of feeling superior but still wonder why its not the year of the linux
>>
>>53651907
just turn off animations then.

jesus
>>
>>53651223
What's the matter, not FLAT enough for you?
>>
itt
>no shut up green is better
>no you shut up blue is a better color
>lol ur both retarded red is way better
>nah you guys are stupid blue is better
>>
>>53652101
Pffffft

Is this the kind of shit you have to deal with?

>X is good
>oh fuck feature doesn't work well
>w-who needs it anyways. X is good
>>
>>53651907
I run GNOME on my T420 with Intel Integrated Graphics, not slow at all.

Try using the open-source drivers, if you aren't yet.
>>
>>53652293
I am

In fact it works kinda faster on proprietary ones, but I get weird artifacts with those.

Unity for instance on the other hand works smoothly.
>>
>>53652166
X is not good, you should use Wayland :^)
>>
>>53651899
>>People wonder why Linux isn't on the desktop yet, it's shit like crap icons, shit performance compared to windows and shitty font rendering
only autists on /g/ care about these things. Normies will use whatever OS their device comes with. Very few of them use Linux because Windows or OS X is always preinstalled. You have to either install Linux yourself or go way out of your way to find a machine with it loaded already. That's the reason why the Year of the Linux Desktop never came.
>>
File: IMG_20160223_153536.jpg (40 KB, 521x270) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160223_153536.jpg
40 KB, 521x270
>>53651954
nigga...
GNOME is optimized for a touch interface. It literally looks babby's firstâ„¢ compooter tier. Every version of Windows under the sun looks better.
>>
>>53652377
It's one of the reasons, another is when they get around to installing it, shit never works OOB and there is not enough documentation on why it doesn't work and how to fix it.
>>
>>53652472
>shit never works OOB
First, you're wrong. Sure, shit won't just werk if you pick Arch or some shit, but install any one of the *buntus and it'll figure everything out. Easier than Windows, actually, since Windows can't figure out how to handle hardware that was released after that version of the OS was, so you're stuck digging up a disc or another computer to download NIC drivers so you can get online and download your graphics driver and a pile of other crap.

Second, if it was an OEM selling these systems, they'd be able to work around any problems that did exist, because they'd be picking what hardware goes into the machine and what the OS image that goes on it contains.

I hope your five rupees are worth it.
>>
>>53652518
First, only the ubuntu variations work? and even then I need to go through the trouble of selecting a wireless driver if it finds it, doesn't just activate automatically like Windows. One variation is absolutely shit and it should be more.
>>
>>53652518
Wrong, hardware is required to work on windows versions available for the last decade. Hell even some of it still comes out compatible with windows 7. On the other hand I fail to see many UEFI 32 bit tablets supported by linux at all.

Hell most of the time lan drivers are bundled with w10. Exceptions being really old hardware, and I mean hellishly old.

However plenty of stuff works out of the box as well on linux and there is documentation for plenty of it. Just for instance the Xonar DG took years and years to be well supported on linux and I think it still has issues with the microphone jack.
>>
File: come-on-now.jpg (45 KB, 598x369) Image search: [Google]
come-on-now.jpg
45 KB, 598x369
>>53652567

>I need to go through the trouble of selecting a wireless driver
Sounds horrible, certainly a good reason to completely dismiss an entire OS that you didn't even pay for. Also, wireless doesn't work out of the box on windows either, unless you're referring to botnet 10.

>One variation is absolutely shit and it should be more.
c'mon prajeet, what are they even paying you for? you can do better than this.
>>
>>53652677
I love how the excuse for things not working like they should is ' it's free ' it's almost as if you fanboys don't want the OS to get better. The fact is, selecting a driver, searching online for a fix, or whatever the situation is, is not a good experience for the daily user.
>>
>>53652614
>>Wrong, hardware is required to work on windows versions available for the last decade.
If you go out and buy a new piece of hardware for a Windows machine, it'll probably work, but only after you go tell Windows about what driver it needs, because Windows only has drivers built-in for stuff that was around when Windows was released.

and after all, having to look for and install drivers was what you were bitching about having to do on Linux (wahh it doesn't work OOB!) Well, Windows is like that far more than Linux is.
>>
>>53652709
I don't disagree. Neither is the inability to turn off telemetry, deprecation of control over system updates, deprecation of functionality in the start menu, the GWX malware, uninstalling software with no prompt, or a multitude of other windows related bullshit.

I absolutely would advocate for the OS to improve, but if you're going to sit there an cherry pick problems instead of inciting useful discussion, you're going to get the same in return.
>>
>>53652757
The thing is, hardware comes out, I download driver, done.

On linux, I have to wait if it's brand new or a bit unusual. Or a GPU.

I wasn't him and I wasn't bitching about out of the box experience, but lack of support at -all-. I'd rather have to go grab something than find out it doesn't even exist.
>>
>>53652834
>install hardware
>apt update && apt full-upgrade
>done

Sure, you're gonna have problems if you wanna use bleeding-edge hardware. But if you wanna use bleeding-edge hardware, you're a tinkerer anyway, so tinkering with your OS is something you already do. Everyone else waits a few months, and by that time, everything you need is in the repos.
>>
>>53652877
If you get "bleeding-edge" hardware you do the same thing as most users of old hardware on windows. Where's no tinkering involved. If you buy a newer graphics tablet for instance, you would need to installing whatever drivers are provided to you officially there, but that's what you do with pretty much every other piece of hardware.

I'm just saying, usually the hardware that comes out that's not well supported on both windows for like a month and linux are graphics cards, in most cases AMD.

I have an ativ tab 3 here that came out years ago already. At this point I would believe for it to work with any linux distro, but no dice because it's a clover trail tablet with a digitizer. However it's hardly bleeding-edge and the last drivers on windows for it were released 2 years ago.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.