[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this proof JavaScript developers are pants on head retarded?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5
https://github.com/azer/left-pad/issues/4
>>
>>53646568
>Need to zero-pad or blank-pad a string
>You have to install a package manager and install a library for that

Yeah, they got what they deserved
>>
>>53646568
The clusterfuck this has caused is amazing.
>>
>>53646568
Seems like more of an open sores problem than a JS problem. But JS devs are still retarded regardless.
>>
>>53647126
How is it an open source problem? These libraries could be pre-compiled binary blobs and the same thing would happen.
>>
>>53646568
This shit ruined half of my day. The whole JavaScript community and ecosystem make me want to pull my hair out.

When adding 1 (one) dependency to our codebase, on average we end up with 14 (FOURTEEN) other dependencies that no one ever asked for. This is considered normal in JS land.

The package causing this whole clusterfuck consisted of 1 (one) method that prepends whitespace to a string. Again, this is considered good practice in JS land, because "micro packages" and "no standard lib". (See: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/azer/left-pad/master/index.js)

Someone unpublishes his 12 lines of code? Better don't bother notifying me about this npm! Someone might as well have taken over the package on npm, released a new minor version and added a "postinstall" hook to the package. So the next time I'll type `npm install`, I'll have code running with my privileges without ME EVEN NOTICING.
>>
>>53646568
>all this caused by someone being butthurt about Kik defending their trademark
People have no idea that vigorously defending your trademarks against anything and everything is part of the law.
>>
>>53647485
>12 line package
>>
>>53647485
>The package causing this whole clusterfuck consisted of 1 (one) method that prepends whitespace to a string. Again, this is considered good practice in JS land, because "micro packages" and "no standard lib"
This is way beyond retarded
>>
>>53648772
UNIX philosophy I guess.

They could always just use ES7's String.prototype.padLeft
>>
>>53646568
the "+1" comments with 1000 thumbs-down reactions are hilarious. Truly the bright minds of our generation.
>>
I had my suspicions that this was all motivated by wanting to grab the npm package name "kik" and the fact that they use node and npm almost cements that for me. I have a feeling this was never about protecting trademarks at all.

Yup.
>>
File: 1427412559710.jpg (176 KB, 854x859) Image search: [Google]
1427412559710.jpg
176 KB, 854x859
Are you telling me that webshits are so fucking retarded that they need a package from NPM to pad a string?
>>
File: github is msn now.png (6 KB, 362x70) Image search: [Google]
github is msn now.png
6 KB, 362x70
What the fuck is that?
>>
>>53649065
These people run most of the internet.
>>
>>53646568
The whole minipackages thing is.
>>
i don't want to subject myself to github
what the fuck happened
and how few options are available that WOULDN'T have prevented it
>>
>>53646733
/thread

>>53647126
>>53647231
it's 17 fucking lines

I used more than that from the NSPL without "depending" it

>>53647485
exactly like linux

>>53649293
LOL

>>53650872
node author of a "library" that null-pads strings calls it a registered trademark, trademark owner respectfully reaches out and asks him to change it, he goes auti-corporate autistic and pulls his packages and at least 10k autobuilds got messed up
>>
>>53650872
Stolen from elsewhere because I am lazy:

An open-source software developer was asked by a company to change the name of one of his Github repo, because it infringed a trademark.

He refused.

Said company asked NPM (a package manager for Nodejs) to change the name of the package associated with the repo.

NPM complied.

Developer felt betrayed, pulled his 250 open-source modules from NPM.

A lot of other developers, relying on his work, could not get the repos from NPM anymore.

They are unhappy.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.