[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Opinions on windows tablets? How does it compare to Android
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 7
File: SamsungGalaxyTabProS3.jpg (188 KB, 1000x978) Image search: [Google]
SamsungGalaxyTabProS3.jpg
188 KB, 1000x978
Opinions on windows tablets?

How does it compare to Android and iPads in performance/usability?

Just found out about this and looks pretty good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsUEk6CPAGg
>>
>>53645959
Windows tablets aren't meant to be tablets, they are meant to be very light and portable notebooks.
>>
If you have decent specs, good. Otherwise just no. I have a XE300TZC and I can tell you this is the biggest piece of trash

Like even my really old acer aspire one A110L is better, since you can at least put a tiny linux distro on it and do things fast.
>>
>>53645993
>>53646052
So its shit to use without m+kb?
>>
>>53645959

Install Gentoo.
>>
I thought you fags were tech experts
>>
>>53646228
Nah, Win10 is pretty well designed for tablets.

What you might find is some difficulty putting linux distros on these.
>>
>tablets
>>
>>53646462
I don't own one but I was interested in getting one at some point so I did some research and as another anon said they are comparable in performance with lowend notebooks, if you use them in desktop OS mode.

If you need more performance you have to go the whole hog and get a Surface, which costs a lot more.
>>
File: økosofies verden.png (84 KB, 784x784) Image search: [Google]
økosofies verden.png
84 KB, 784x784
>>53645959
Yeah, no. My transformer book sits in it's keyboard dock pretty much all the time. There isn't a single Youtube/4chan/reddit app on Windows 10 that isn't complete dogshit.

If there was a usable Youtube and 4chan app available (like the official youtube app and dashchan/clover on android) I would probably use it as a tablet, but right now, it's pretty much useless for that sort of stuff.

Tablets are, after all, meant as small entertainment devices to get comfy in the couch with, and nothing more (if you're going to do anything serious, use a notebook or a phone).
>>
>>53646463
This, Win 10 is actually a very decent tablet OS and is fairly responsive, I'm saying this as a fervent Linux supporter. But yeah, they have locked bootloaders so you're most likely stuck with Windows.

They're great for light office processing, movie wstching and internet browsing but that's about it.
>>
>>53645959
Let's see ...

There are pretty worthless budget options and pretty overpriced options like Surface that try too hard to be a laptop and fail at it ... and fail at tablet stuff because of bloated OS and huge size. Then there is Surfacebook that comes pretty close at being a decent laptop but fail even harder at being a tablet. Basically they suck and cost a lot if you want them to suck a tiny bit less.

iPads are either consumerism toys, like Android tablets that are way more expensive but do their job. Or Pro, that are even more expensive but also the best option for draw-fags because of pencil tilt.

It's like ... all tablets suck major cock. Surface is the most appealing idea for me so far, if they would sell it for what it should be worth (400 bucks), it would be relevant but as things are now ... eww.
>>
>>53647673
It's decent in the way that "it's better than 7 or Loonix for tablets" but it's still pure cancer, way too bloated (both in space and functionality) and designed by college dropouts or people who never saw a good UI.
>>
I use an HP Stream 7 with Windows 8.1, good and cheap little device.

That said, i'm still not using any of the Metro apps. But being able to run MPC-HC and play 1080p video on it, and view documents in desktop office, is a huge plus over any comparitavely cheap Androids.
>>
>>53645959
>How does it compare to Android and iPads in performance/usability?
with windows tablets the performance range si almost the same as on desktop. From budge atoms that can do basic things like browsing, light office work fine, to powerful i7 that can de used for some havy lifting as well.
>>
>>53647741
>Let's see ...
let\s see
jup you never used any of those.
>>
>>53648371
Had the Surface 3, a shitty HP and an even shittier Samsung tablet myself. Helped couple people to set up their iPads. All of them were pretty shitty yo.
>>
>>53647649
There's enough better than official YouTube app available in Winstore than any other shitty tablet/phone os ever have. Just because it's not made by jews doesnt mean it shit

MyTube
Tubecast
MetroTube
>>
>>53645959
XPS 12, Surface, or bust
>>
>>53649923
But they are shit compared to the actual app on android and iOS. All the apps you listed just feel like the website in a browser with a custom skin and a blocky UI. They don't actually allow any kind of smooth browsing experience, so at that point you might as well use a browser.
>>
>>53650191
Have you ever tried any of these? They offer much better experience than anything Google has
>>
>>53647673
They're not locked, you can disable Secure Boot if you want
>>
>>53650191
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8M24UuUHGA
>>
>>53650217
Yeah, I've tried to use all of them, but in the end I just returned to using my web browser. They just aren't as good, simple as that. I used my android tablet all the time, but now I find myself using my phone to watch youtube.

I've tried for ages to get android-x86 to dual-boot for this one reason.
>>
>>53650329
I've tried it, and desu it would at least compete with (but still lose to) the Google app, if it had the ability to select video quality.
>>
>>53650450
Why in the name of all that is holy was the abbreviation of "to be honest" turned into desu?
Why would anyone do that?
>>
File: Screenshot (16).jpg (781 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (16).jpg
781 KB, 2560x1440
>>53650378
I don't know man you sounds like a prick thats lying on the net

>>53650450
There's an option to choose video quality desu
>>
>>53650635
Why would I lie about something as boring as fucking Youtube apps on my windows tablet. I'm the one stuck with an entertainment device that fails it's sole task.

No Windows 10 youtube app can compete with the official google app, simple as that. I don't see what you get out of anti-shilling google, but I'm legitimately warning people that a Windows 10 tablet is not in any way a better tablet device than any android/iOS tablet.

Don't buy a Windows 10 tablet if you want a good, comfy touch experience, because all you'll get is the standard Windows 10 experience, but with less precise touch controls rather than a mouse this time around.
>>
Chuwi Hi8 win10/android 4.4 tablet.

Quad core 2.2ghz 64bit processor.
2gb ram
32gb rom
Expandable up to 128gb
1920x1200 display
Less than $100

What the fuck more do you need in a tablet?
>>
>Using a fully featured windows distro
>Using mobile "Apps" instead of just fucking going to youtube

What the fuck is wrong with you people?
>>
>>53650856
I refuse to believe there're people around who prefer the google youtube app than any 3rd party ones on windows

I just can't believe that and there's still no annotation support or background playback without paying 10 bucks a month

>>53650896
Because it's comfy as fuck to lie on your bed all day and browsing youtube

I average 20gb to 30gb a month on myTube
>>
>>53650996
>Because it's comfy as fuck to lie on your bed all day and browsing youtube

Right, so start the fucking browser of your fucking choice, navigate to the fucking youtube website and watch whatever you want?

What are you doing dicking around with mobile apps on a fully featured platform?
>>
>>53650875
>chuwi

I would never leave the house with something like this tbhfam
>>
>>53651075
Why? It's objectively the best cheap 1920x1200 win10 tablet available.

You just worrying about the brand? You would possibly be more comfortable over at /fa/
>>
>>53651027
It's somehow faster on mobile app
It's easier to scrub videos
Videos load faster
It has all features include speed and annotation which official youtube doesn't

myTube is the only app I use on tablet everything else in browser
>>
>>53650996
Never personally had the need for background playback, so I dodged a bullet there, and when it comes to annotations I'm actually glad. In my experience about 1/100 annotations are useful and aren't just "SUBSCRIBE" or "ANOTHER COOL VIDEO" tainting the screenspace.

My comfiest youtube experience to date was my z1 tablet, and this discussion can't change that, I'm afraid.

I just never find myself using my Windows tablet like I used my old tablet (like I said, tablets have one purpose; being simple, comfy "just werks" couch entertainment).
>>
>>53651103
Yes I do worry about brand. I don't want to look like a poorfag.

Good for you if you dont, I do.

/fa/ is shit place.
>>
File: lol.png (1022 KB, 1246x669) Image search: [Google]
lol.png
1022 KB, 1246x669
>>
>>53651122
Every man to it taste.

Or maybe baby duck syndrome
>>
>>53650875
The performance is probably damn shit, specially in Windows.

>>53651143
I get caring about aesthetics but caring about the impression your tablet leaves on other people? You're quite a special type faggot, bro.
>>
>>53647673
>>53650219
I know ubuntu is compatible with secure boot. I'm using it on my Surface right now.
>>
>>53651218
Yeah, definitely taste, not baby duck syndrome, considering the fact that the Google youtube experience is far smoother than it's third-party competitors, even if it's lacking in features (although I will say that they have made some bad decisions lately with the "what's hot?" tab being default, like I give a shit about anything I'm not subscribed to).
>>
>>53645959
If you don't need performance, they're good. The best one is the Surface Pro 4 by a long margin, it is beautiful, great battery life and intel core CPU. The keyboard is great, trackpad is good and it even has backlight.

This Samsung can't even compare to the surface.

But if you need a real laptop, just get a retina MacBook.
>>
>ipad "pro" 9.7 only has 2GB RAM

fucking kek
>>
>>53651386
Source? I'm pretty sure it has 4GB just like the 13 inch?
>>
>>53651401
this fag from techlunch

https://twitter.com/panzer/status/712331691579219968
>>
>>53651386
>because iOS is a bloated shit like Android or Windows that needs more to run good

>>53651401
Ye, the big one got 4GB, the smaller one 2GB. Which only might become a concern few years down the line.
>>
File: lion_kek.png (216 KB, 393x391) Image search: [Google]
lion_kek.png
216 KB, 393x391
>>53650875
>Quad core 2.2ghz 64bit processor.
> $100
lol nice Atom.
>>
>>53651411
>>because iOS is a bloated shit like Android or Windows that needs more to run good

Say mister shill, or brand whore whichever, how do you explain the 4GB in the larger version?
>>
>>53651436
Well you see Timmy it's a smaller device so it needs less RAM.

And a smaller battery.
>>
File: 1458498556237.jpg (105 KB, 750x1000) Image search: [Google]
1458498556237.jpg
105 KB, 750x1000
>>53651411
shit man, iOS RAM management is really good but this is some bullshit man, RAM is really cheap nowadays... That is definitely planned obsolesce.

The first gen iPad Air has a great CPU, but since it has only 1GB of RAM it doesn't support split view, the same will happen with this iPad Pro in a few years.
>>
>>53651292
You're a faggot.

Brand is part of aesthetics, if you dont get it you're autistic.
>>
>>53651436
As I mentioned in the post before, future-proof-ness. If Apple intend them to be desktop replacements, more demanding software is inevitable, so it'd be nice to have more RAM for the future.

My point was that 2GB is perfectly fine for an iOS device, at least for now.

>>53651474
>That is definitely planned obsolesce.
Might be the case too.

>>53651500
Unless there is a terribly ugly logo affecting the design, no, not really.
>>
Tablets are shit with horrible performance.
>>
>>53651522
Not really. People perceive things based on their own experiences. Aesthetic is subjected to that.

People see a product made by a good and recognizable brand differently than they something that have never seen before, doesn't matter if you see a logo or not.

And in this case, generic looking tablet = poorfag tech
>>
>>53651631
>generic looking tablet = poorfag tech
Yes but this isn't a problem related to the brand per se, it's a problem with the tablet in question.

Besides, most of them look like shit either way, maybe iPad and Surface stand out a bit but that's it.
>>
>>53650875
you forgot
>screen shatters from the smallest tap
>>
>>53651562
>my tablet can run wii games on dolphin
>my craptop cant
tablet is good, at least for me
>>
Ive always wanted a shitty tablet with Windows 7 on it.
Just to fuck around with.
>>
>>53653230
the tablet would just shut down after it booted up though
>>
>>53653243
What?
Samsung used to make Win7 tablets.
>>
>>53647776
>source: A CS studen with metabolic syndrome in a chinese cartoons board
>>
>>53645959
Tablets are the one platform where Windows 8 makes sense. Much better than iOS and Android
>>
>>53645959
>Opinions on windows tablets
All tablets are useless
>>
>>53645959

bought a surface book.

No regrets, solid ultraportable, nice tablet, unique look, fine on ports, tablet mode for win10 is nice.

I'm really satisfied, it got me through the last few terms of grad school well.
>>
>>53651143
>I don't want to look like a poorfag.
must be a fan of beats
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.