[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How in-depth are the math and CS subjects on Khan Academy? It
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: khan-academy1.jpg (62 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
khan-academy1.jpg
62 KB, 900x900
How in-depth are the math and CS subjects on Khan Academy? It seems to have a pretty big amount of lessons for a lot of fields.

How close are these lessons to a paper literature?

I'm wondering if websites like Treehouse and Udemy could provide a really good lessons for web development, are there good equivalents to CS subjects such as algos/data structures/probability etc. That is - except from courses from stanford and other universities. To me personally the courses are slow as fuck and it bores me too soon. I want something to the point, short-ish but as in-depth as possible.
>>
breadth over depth

you skim over a lot of topics but never really "learn" them. Just get a book or watch MIT OCW stop looking for shortcuts buddy
>>
>>53643911
How is this one? (MIT intro to algos 6.something).

https://youtu.be/Kg4bqzAqRBM

Do I need books or can I just watch the videos and do some work?

I've been watching this course a couple of times but can't see the point. I'm a web dev/designer (student still) and in this industry almost nobody seems to care about this that much. I want to learn it either way.
>>
>>53643882
Khan Academy is courses for children to help with their schoolwork or to fill gaps if you dropped out of school and want to go back.
If you want depth, you can find some serious university-level courses on edX and Coursera. But these would mostly be Stanford, MIT etc. courses, which you for some reason dislike? I don't think you are going to find any in-depth _and_ rigorous courses that are much faster than the ones provided by Stanford, MIT, ...
>>
>>53645794

Yeah, I guess I'll watch just them then. The only problem is that every time the lesson seems easy but it comes with a miles more complex homework that I can't solve.
>>
>>53644092
>I'm a web dev/designer (student still) and in this industry almost nobody seems to care about this that much. I want to learn it either way.
If you are a designer, you need not concern yourself with this stuff. If you are web dev, working on small sites based on wordpress of whatever, you also don't need to concern yourself with this. For anything beyond that, you have to understand all this stuff in the lectures. Not necessarily remember everything, but you certainly have to have a feeling for complexity of algorithms, know some data structures inside-out.
But then again, I suppose there are people who make some wordpress websites for a living and are happy with their lives. Your choice.
>>
>>53645923
Did you not see the part where he said, "I want to learn it anyway"?
>>
>>53645869
That's university for you.

Btw if it moves to slow just watch it at 1.5x the speed. Works for me.
>>
>>53646176
I'm not a CS student but I've seen their lectures and assignments and the assignments follow lectures completely. On this MIT course it seems like I have to do something entirely different. I'm just watching this third lesson (insertion/merge sort) and this sounds easy as fuck, but I'll probably suffer with assignment. Tbh I don't know how hard it is for this particular course, but once, I was going through some Sedgewick Princeton algorithms course and it was easy, then I looked at the assignment you have to do in Java and didn't even understand all of the words lol.

I'm more of a front-end and don't enjoy this CS stuff very much desu but e.g. if I wanted to apply for Google, I should know all of it very well even for a front-end job.

There is easy stuff like wordpress, but I would never do that, I almost despise people who are happy doing just that shit.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.