[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Redhat just reported earnings for Q4 2015, and become the fi
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: redhat-logo-270x167[1].jpg (9 KB, 270x167) Image search: [Google]
redhat-logo-270x167[1].jpg
9 KB, 270x167
Redhat just reported earnings for Q4 2015, and become the first FOSS company to reach 2 billions in revenue

This is 4 years after breaking the $1b barrier

It's now valued higher than Nvidia, to put things in perspective

http://www.zdnet.com/article/red-hat-becomes-first-2b-open-source-company/#ftag=RSSbaffb68
>>
Once you've seen the dinosaur, you can never go back.

Why would anyone use RHEL when OpenSuse, Fedora, and a whole bunch of apt based systems exist? Genuine question btw
>>
The US military uses RedHat as well as Windows. I'm not really surprised.
>>
>>53642466
Because in the real world companies buy software that have actual support, not just some fucking text based piece of shit 90's website where your requests and problems are closed by someone who doesn't care.
>>
>>53642466
you have to understand how management thinks when they make such decisions

presentation, reputation, service plans and more importantly the availability of skilled labor are worth more than any notion of objective quality

not that RHEL 7 isn't fucking excellent to begin with
>>
>>53642478
>>53642485
So you really can get money out of the support work?
What does that say about the employees that corporations are employing? It sounds like they're rather inept at figuring things out themselves.
>>
>>53642549
You spend too much time on fucking /g/ you dumb shit. No one wants to hire some fedora just to sit there and dig through the code of a fucking OS or major program that isn't developed in house, it's a waste of money.
>>
>>53642549
>So you really can get money out of the support work?
When you have business critical stuff running you will want a resolution within a day and not two weeks
>>53642549
>It sounds like they're rather inept at figuring things out themselves.
Or they just don't have one person assigned full time on managing and debugging servers, when they can just call someone knowledgeable at Redhat and get it resolved asap
>>
>>53642549
>So you really can get money out of the support work?

and licensing. also, some voluntary offsetting and occasional investment from other companies.

>What does that say about the employees that corporations are employing? It sounds like they're rather inept at figuring things out themselves.

first things first, yes, they very often are "inept". this is the professional world in general. but you're saying this from the perspective of an edgy youth, not of someone with experience.

in reality, the time and resources to "figure things out" isn't necessarily available due to urgency, heavy workloads, priorities or time constraints. this is why companies hire consultants, and pay for service plans.

ideally, given enough time and engineers on payroll, you'd do anything you possibly can on your own. but that's not how the world works outside of your bedroom.
>>
>>53642466
fedora is the bleeding edge testing branch of redhat/centos you mongoloid
>>
>>53642549
You are such a fucking kid
>>
File: trex.png (45 KB, 350x195) Image search: [Google]
trex.png
45 KB, 350x195
>>53642445
I dont care about any of this shit, but here's an obligatory post
>>
>>53642580
>>53642589
>>53642603
>all this neckbeard hate
Jeez Louise, I dunno what you got your knickers in a tit. I'm just asking cause our company uses Debian on most servers. Any issues are handled internally. Yeah, it's not as fast, but to me it doesn't seem like the support costs are worth it.
>>
>>53642647
of course this depends on the company

if you're a software contractor or commercial host or whatever the fuck, you've got more options, and minimizing costs becomes a good idea

if you're the IT dept in an unrelated sector and you have to provide service for hundreds of people with a team of 4 moderately educated people, you are way way way too busy for that shit
>>
>>53642647
Of course there is neckbeard hate, because unlike what you read here most sysadmins are le normies or whatever stupid fucking meme you try to make yourself feel better about by using.

When you deal with 1000+ servers and 400+ endpoints, PCI data, and customer facing high availability machines, 'not as fast' is not a solution.
>>
>>53642647
Troll
>>
>>53642549
It is much cheaper and easier to pay Redhat to fix stuff than it is to pay someone to do it just for you. The people at Redhat have probably seen your issue a thousand times before, and will quickly find a fix, while anyone you hire yourself would need hours of research to find out what to do.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.