[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone have any experience with Chromebooks? I mainly use
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: Chromebook.png (93 KB, 675x450) Image search: [Google]
Chromebook.png
93 KB, 675x450
Does anyone have any experience with Chromebooks?

I mainly use my PC for internet, word processing (a lot of word processing) and some media. I currently use a Lenovo but I was thinking about buying a Chromebook.

However I have no experience with the OS and I don't know if it'd fit my needs.

Can anyone give some feedback pls?
>>
I have one. The battery is wonderful, but you'll feel that is is limited sometimes. You can run crouton and bypass that, though.
>>
>>53640998
I had the exact opposite experience. The battery would crap out even after buying a new battery.

Not to reinforce the circlejerk but it's probably better getting a cheap netbook and installing some form of linux.
>>
>>53640998
I mainly work with MS Word, MS Excell and Powerpoint on a daily basis. 95% os it is MS Word.

Do you think that it is a good replacement for my Lenovo? My idea is that it can be good to transport around (I have to travel lot) and do the basic work and leave my Lenovo at home.
>>
>>53641074
Which one you had? My C720 is 2yo and still holds up to 8 hours of continuous usage
>>
>>53641083
I guess it depends if Google Docs is good enough for what you do, so I would suggest trying it before for some time.
>>
>>53640656
I love the idea of Chromebooks, except for the part where it's a thin client for Google's botnet.

I'd buy one and install Debian on it if

1. The hardware wasn't that expensive (in my country they cost as much as real laptops, ie ~250-300$)
2. I wasn't financially supporting the botnet
3. I could be sure that their hardware isn't configured in a way to track me.
>>
>>53641083
You'll need to start using google docs. You can use the online versions of office but the live versions are notoriously bad.

You will not be able to use the offline (installed) version of office.
>>
File: asus-c201-rk3288.jpg (11 KB, 680x427) Image search: [Google]
asus-c201-rk3288.jpg
11 KB, 680x427
>>53640656
>no experience with the OS

me too. I just installed debian jessie and was off to the races.

Asus C201 4Gb Chromebook
ARMv7 - rk3288 4-core cpu
Libreboot (readonly via hardware screw)
TP-LINK TL-WN722N (ATH9K_HTC)
linux-libre fully deblobbed kernel
debian8 jessie (armhf port) + xfce4
10+ hours shitpost time on battery
1. no intel botnet
2. no firmware binary blobs
3. write-protected bios compiled from source
>>
>>53641189
Neat, wish I could run libreboot on my c720
>>
>>53641189
I didnt think that chromebooks with arm cpus were good.
>>
>>53641083
Get a MacBook. They last a long time, they're easy to use. They can do what you need, and can even run windows.
>>
>>53640656
I wish someone released cheap laptops with great battery and screen like a Chromebook but with Ubuntu or something installed. Save money on Microsoft license.
>>
>>53640656
I got a model on sale for $110, it's fanless so runs quiet, doesn't have much memory but runs gallium os after flashing updated seabios, and is my go too. My only gripe is screen and trackpad, I just got more space via small usb stick
>>
>>53641231

my 2012 i7 is two cores. each rk3288 arm core benches out at about 1/2 the i7. the rk has four cores. plenty fast. kernel compiles quickly with make -j4
>>
>>53641233
I used macbooks for 7 years. I'm sick and tired of apple, they are expensive as hell and they break down after 4 years. Programmed obsolescence. I'm tired of that sect now.
>>
>>53641231
ARM has come a long way.
I used to hate ARM until I realized that nowdays your can run full Linux on it. Also much better power usage than x86/64
>>
>>53641368
How long until we are using ARM chips for a normal gaming computer. As in a replacement for AMD/ATI or Intel?
>>
>>53643934
>gaming
if by gaming you mean intensive 3D stuff, probably never.
However ARM is already good enough for laptops, and soon it will be good for desktops too.
>>
It's nice and light, but garbage without a good processor.

Surface+keyboard can't lose
>>
I got a 2GB RAM C720 yesterday and installed Gallium OS right away, didn't even bother with Chrome OS.

I was worried about the low amount of RAM but it's surprisingly smooth. I got it for cheap and it's a pretty comfy linux device.
>>
>>53640656
>my chinkpad x201 overheats
>loud piece of shit gets 60oC even after cooling replacement
>can't take it .jpg
>buy cheap toshiba chromebook 2
>use it everyday
It has been 5 months now.
>>
I had the first gen and it's okay if all you're doing is internet browsing and light word processing (it will have to be done through google docs though). The OS was alright at the time and this was like in 2012?? I forget when they came out
>>
>>53640656
Besides the C720 only tried the Dell Chromebook 11 (the little one 2015 with the led on the cover that its mil-specced not the other shitty version).
Both work perfectly fine if you are doing online stuff and have a decent internet connection but in the case you want anything extra you can get linux running just fine on both and they have enough to handle it.
>>
>>53641347
*Planned obsolescence
>>
>>53640656
My daughter had a HP Chromebook 11.

She liked it but the build quality was shocking, we went through about three and when the warranty ran out the SSD failed so now its on a cupboard somewhere.

The OS is Cuprinol but with Android N I can see Chrome OS getting phased out.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.