[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
non-bloated Anti-Virus
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: serveimage.jpg (239 KB, 1021x1024) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
239 KB, 1021x1024
what is /g/ using as anti-virus for windows os?
(don't come with linux, I'm a linux fag myself, this is about topic)

the problem is, there are two kind of AV softwares today:

--> unix like open source CLI virus scans which are awful as hell and with a success rate below everything.
--> bloated with nonsense, totally useless overkill AV software which makes the dumb users feel safe even though they never are.

there is no in between for experienced users. you have to fight all this bloated crap to almost get what you want.

what's what we want?
- simple manual file/drive/rootkit scan
- simple and not annoying heuristic/PUP scan and warnings, nothing more nothing less.
- simple interval virus definition updates.

- no Mail/Internet Protection
- no SSL root certificates installed so AV can scan all WEB SSL traffic even though you disabled it.
- no sandboxes ( i could install my own if i need)
- no "SafeBrowser" bullshit which is worse than using your own browser
- no webcam protection
- no chat-protection
- no ransomware protection
- no deep-into-the-system-monitor-everything inspection
- no system performance optimizations
- no registrations
- no installations of new protections without asking the using
- no popup ads
- etc..

so is there a gap in the market, or is anyone aware of other AV software (no ClamAV/ClamWin is no solution.)?
>>
I used to use avg free (lol) but every once in a while it would report a false positive (the same one every time), and I'd say "yea I trust this file" and then they blocked me from opening it anyhow just to be sure. Now I just use nothing.
>>
An adblocking hosts file, uBlock Origin, and the wisdom to stay the hell away from botnet sites.
>>
File: 1434613828464_2.gif (704 KB, 245x230) Image search: [Google]
1434613828464_2.gif
704 KB, 245x230
>>53640362
Common sense 2017 Zeus edition
Threat fire + MSE + malwarebite free

This may save your life.
>>
27000 line hosts file, uBlock Origin, uMatrix, and most importantly common sense pro edition
>>
>>53640362
NanoAV
Yandex Browser with Adguard
>>
>>53640474
seriously? a browser by yandex? you must be kidding.

>>53640455
rofl, bloated host file is in no way any better.

common sense av is installed by default. but you know you want a bit more just in case.
>>
whats wrong with mse
>>
>>53641213
Agnitum was bought by Yandex and it will help in the development of Yandex Browser, to make it more secure. Yandex Browser is already really secure by design (Blink) and addons
>>
>>53641251
It barely works
>>
>>53640420
>MSE

Disable that botnet - it sends data just like telemetry - it sends information about files and is in constant connection with microsoft - better off without it - disable it and remove every option it has on windows to break communication.
>>
>>53640362
Kaspersky just werks
>>
File: 1335291653418.jpg (2 KB, 124x126) Image search: [Google]
1335291653418.jpg
2 KB, 124x126
>Avast "gift" me with their premium browser just yesterday. They even installed it without asking.
Th-thanks Avast!
>>
>>53640362
ClamWin Portable

Doesn't even need to be installed.
>>
>>53640362
G-data, it's pretty good but it misses stuff like exception list. I guess it's not bloated but there is the thing where you can set a filter for kids.
>>
Using Panda.
Found it to be less annoying than others
>>
>>53642153
I went to the install folder to delete it and was told I don't have permission.

I'm the owner and the administrator.

Who the fuck thought this was a good idea?
>>
>>53640362
AVG free.

It's in the top 5, and shares all the virus lists with the other major AV's. Would be pointless to pay for it.
>>
>>53640362
>non-bloated Anti-Virus
it's called Linux
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.