[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to do drag box on linux desktop?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 7
File: dragbox.png (877 KB, 1132x680) Image search: [Google]
dragbox.png
877 KB, 1132x680
What is the proper name for the drag / selection box? And how to do it on the desktop for linux? Pic is what I am talking about.
>>
File: Untitled.png (44 KB, 377x541) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
44 KB, 377x541
>>53639383

Tarnslucent selection rectangle
>>
>>53639460
>Tarnslucent selection rectangle
>not lasso

Who's the autist that came up with that
>>
>>53639460

Thank you.
>>
>>53639537
>calls rectangular selection tool a lasso
>lasso is a freeform selection tool

cucked again
>>
>>53639383
>>53639460
..linux?
>>
>>53639383
linux is a kernel
>>
ls

Then use sed or grep and pattern matching until you just have the files you want.
>>
>>53640774
/thread
>>
>>53639383
>The desktop for Linux
that's kind of abstract
for me with GNOME 3 Nautilus does that
>>
>>53640774
and linuxfags still try to defend their autism
>>
>>53639383
You should be a lot more specific
You can do selections like that on every file manager I have seen.
Some might not show the box, but it still works the same.
If that is too hard for you, shift and Ctrl clicks selects files just as on windows.
>>
>>53640795
>OMG a different way to do something, a-autism!
it's like you were born in year 2000 and never used anything else than a windows computer and an iphone
>>
Why is it that on Linux, file managers are in charge of drawing desktop icons and so on? Did they seriously look at explorer.exe and say "This is clearly a sane way of doing things"?
>>
File: 1457750805169.png (861 KB, 905x737) Image search: [Google]
1457750805169.png
861 KB, 905x737
>>53639383

>he fell for the Linux shilling

Fucking faggot
>>
File: how to.png (958 KB, 1875x1041) Image search: [Google]
how to.png
958 KB, 1875x1041
>>53640819
>>53640774

This is my first time using linux. On windows I can do the rectangle thing by holding down left click and dragging while on the desktop. I do this for fun/when bored. I don't mean if I can do it under the file manager. I don't want to select anything, I just want to be able to do boxes on my desktop when bored.

This picture is what I mean. I want to do the box thing outside of the file manager, like I can do in windows (see first post). Is this possible?
>>
>>53639383
Install Xfce
>>
>>53640960
this meme makes no sense
>>
>>53641166
>>53640791

Okay I will try it. I am using Manjaro with KDE at the moment.
>>
>>53639383
>And how to do it on the desktop for linux?
You drag your mouse across the desktop. Have fun!
>>
>>53641197

It doesn't work. In file manager, yes, but on the actual desktop (the picture of the pier) it does nothing.

See: >>53641059
>>
>>53641229
It's because you're using KDE. Every other DE lets you do that. I'm sure KDE has an option somewhere though.
>>
>>53641059
hello olivia :^)
>>
>>53641229
You have to enable desktop icons
Assuming KDE:
Right click the desktop, select "Desktop Settings", then drop down the "Layout" select "folder view"
>>
>>53641229
For gnome3 you have to have enable desktop mode on Nautilus if it isn't already

On kde5, you have to add a folder plasmid? Widget? Thingy pointing to your ~/Desktop folder (or any other). It just werks on all the other DEs.

KDE has a good excuse for removing the function with the whole redesign since they provide an ootb alternative, but gnome3 are just faggots who know what's better for you.
>>
>>53640859
It's not just that it's a different way to do something, it's that it's an objectively worse way to do it.
>>
>>53641394
>>53641415

I was using KDE. Thank you both very much, that got it working. I won't forget it.
>>
>>53641426
>subjective opinion translates to objective fact
Lrn2definition buddy.

I'll agree that the action is not defensible as a way to graphically select file and folder icons, it is a perfectly legitimate and efficient way to interact with those same data structures
>>
>>53640403

Dumb cuckposter
>>
>>53641468
There is no universe in which doing that could be described as efficient.
>>
File: 1450624753413.jpg (60 KB, 500x370) Image search: [Google]
1450624753413.jpg
60 KB, 500x370
>>53641468
>graphically select file and folder icons
>>
>>53641483
>copy all my jpgs to a flash drive
>search all the PDFs on my disk for a phrase
>find out how much space the video files on my system are consuming
>load up all the book PDFs on my drive by Frank Miller to read them
>automatically rename thousands of camera images to have a consistent name strategy based on timestamp and geolocation, and move them to a central folder and sub folder hub for easy graphical browsing
>interact with the filesystem of a remote machine in any way.

You obviously don't know what you're talking about. But please, continue your bland argument
>>
>>53639383

what
>>
>>53641625
See
>>53641459
>>53641415
>>53641394
>>
>>53641641

>current year
>using kde
>>
>>53641644
I don't, OP does. Bitch about people not using mint when your distro maker stops leaving a shitty vulnerable WordPress install on top of apache in place as the main distribution hub.

Or just stop being a meme-spouting faggot and remember that there are a plethora of DE options each with different strengths and weaknesses
>>
>>53641059
Xfce will set you straight.
>>
>>53639383
Enable desktop icons.
>>
>>53641625
>having a cuck on your desktop
wew lad
>>
>>53640795
You don't need to be mad that you didn't get the joke.
>>
>>53640907
Because in almost every WM, the root window and non-root windows are treated the same way, so they tend to be managed by the file manager.

It's kind of against unix-philosophy, but if you need to configure icon size and layout via gui then it makes sense to make it controlled directly by the file manager which manages those guis.
>>
File: numberoffucksgiven.gif (727 KB, 244x200) Image search: [Google]
numberoffucksgiven.gif
727 KB, 244x200
>>53641059
This reminds me of a story I read somewhere, about an IT guy trying to set up linux on the desktop in a call centre in India or some place like that. I forget what distro it was, maybe it was Ubuntu back when they were using gnome 3. Moving away from Windows, which at the time was probably a single copy of windows ME/XP that someone there had pirated.

Anyway, the IT guy had everything set up on linux, made sure all document formats were usable or convertible to OpenOffice, re-did their in-house intranet so the pages didn't rely on ActiveX.

Day came to implement; replaced a few really old computers, imaged the rest, disconnected the old server and set up the new one, transitioned the whole center in a couple of days. No bugs, everything worked the way it was intended.

But there was something the IT guy could not have been prepared for. Users weren't getting their paperwork done, they were having trouble managing their files. After talking to some users and investigating the problem, he found that every Indian user had a compulsion to right click the desktop and hit "refresh" multiple times before being able to do that. When given one of the remaining Windows boxes to demonstrate, the users would actually refresh their desktop maybe a dozen times by right-clicking, moving the mouse slightly to select refresh, and left-clicking in very quick succession; repeating until they were satisfied that their desktop had been adequately refreshed.

The problem was the right click menu in gnome did not have a refresh option. I don't know if it was a cultural thing, but they just couldn't get past not being able to force their desktop to refresh, even though it really wasn't necessary. He tried to tell them it wasn't necessary, the desktop would refresh on its own whenever a file was changed, but the users weren't having that.

Eventually the IT guy caved, and implemented a placebo refresh option in gnome. It didn't actually do anything, but it made his users happy.
>>
>>53642800
So the next time someone tells you that linux is too weird for the common user, or that linux isn't ready for the desktop, remember this story, and those Indian call centre workers who ritualistically refreshed their desktop. The common user is an idiot, and most humans are computer illiterate. This is probably even more true now, in this age of touchscreens and voice commands. 90% of people don't actually know how to use a computer, they just ape the behaviour of other users and fake it.
>>
>>53642504
The word 'cuck', like any other overused meme, has lost all meaning.
>>
>>53639460
>>53639537
you both have brain damage. its called rubber band select.

>>53639383
op you also have brain damage
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.