[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>people asking for advice on a laptop to buy >to use as
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 2
File: 1429844409500.jpg (21 KB, 500x441) Image search: [Google]
1429844409500.jpg
21 KB, 500x441
>people asking for advice on a laptop to buy
>to use as a desktop
>max 400$

>if you tell them to get a desktop "no they are too big"
>if you tell them to have a bigger budget they say no
>You know whatever you'll pick it will be shit and you will be blamed

Does this qualify as tech rage? I don't know but it should.
>>
Tell them to fuck off. If they want a laptop that functions as a desktop, they just have to spend more. That's how shit works. Refuse to buy anything for them if they have illogical expectations.
>>
>>53639053

its his parents
>>
>can't find a decent laptop for $400
>>
I get this shit from friends like twice a month. I say the same thing as OP, but they insist on a laptop since they need the portability. Ok fine.

I then proceed to recommend them a used Dell Precision for under $500 on fleabay or dellrefurbished. Usually the M6600s with AMD GPUs are beasts and relatively cheap.

But no. Not 1 of them has taken my advise. They instead go out and buy some shit Asus that breaks 6 months later and can barely handle any games. Then they say PCs are shit and end up buying the lowest end Macbook for $999.
>>
>>53639043
Used thinkpads, my man.
>>
>>53639708
what do people have against second hand quality machines?
people are generally fine with getting a nice second hand car over the cheapest possible new car, but with computers they'd rather take the shittiest thing on the shelf over a 2 year old formerly-top-of-the-line machine for the same price
>>
>>53639753
Chinkpads and Probooks are good too, but it's hard to beat the M6600s
>>
>>53639043
Get some APU craptop. They're cheap, they can run their LOL, and they don't understand resolution anyway.
>>
>>53639387
gf parents actually.
Didn't mention it because it always sounds like it's trying to brag.
>>
Don't see the problem, recommend something and clearly say "no gayman on this rig"

Everything else should work for 400$
>>
>>53639782
People jerks off in front of their computers. It's a given. Who knows how much semen of the previous owner it's on that computer.

Cars, on the other hand... Well, maybe there too, but it's not as probable.
>>
>>53639920
never thought of that, though i don't cum on my laptop

naturally you'd want to give any second hand thing you will be touching daily a thorough cleaning when you first get it
>>
>>53639916
Maybe I'm just pessimist and expect something with less than 4gb ram, 1gb dedicated graphic and less than 2Ghz and 2 cores a laggy shit that's going to make whoever uses it mad.

I'm also accounting for the crap they will inevitabely install, of course.

>>53639937
Usually me neither, but in some rare instances some drop have flown too far.
>>
>>53639043
Tell them to buy a shitty acer. When it breaks down a year later, you won't be responsible.
>>
For 400 bucks you can get something with an i3, iGPU and 4GB of RAM. It's more than enough for older people.

Believe it or not, from anecdotal evidence 95% of virus infections, malware and toolbars in normies' computers come from ads they just cannot resist clicking through so install chrome or firefox with unblock origin, set up a free AV like Avast that will get rid of the most common malware, hide the IE icon or just straight up uninstall it and they'll have an idiot-proof machine.
>>
>>53639043
In all fairness, I have a hybrid tablet/laptop with a super low power atom, 2gb ram and 32gb storage which all drives a 1080p display. You'd think its a load of fuck but it runs just fine.
>>53639690
This. Mine cost £150 which is well below $400

>friends bring laptops to uni
>gigantic 15.6-17" monster laptops
>MUH i5/i7/MACBOOK™™™™
>bring out tiny hybrid
>everyone laughs at me
>laughing stops after 5s because hybrid booted in that time
>login and desktop loaded before 10s are up
>tears well up
>browser with 20+ research tabs and word open by 15s
>somebody fainted
>alt tabbing between simulation software, pdfs, browser, word and email
>everyone else still doing wangblows updates LOL
>macbook rebooted to wangblows because no software
>half of class is over
>done, close hybrid and everything sleeps
>some people still waiting for wangblows to update and restart
And as bonus points
>I can even play my visual novels on a tablet in bed now
>16hr battery life is neat

My guess for why this happens is because I keep mine as clean and minimal as possible. My friends don't seem to give their laptops the same care so they all run like shit.

In other words, you can get a perfectly fine laptop for work with $400 because even the lowest spec POS like my hybrid can blast through regular tasks without a problem. No excuses.
>>
>>53640060
>Tell them to...
>you won't be responsible.
uh, anon
>>
My big brother did this
>"anon I want a laptop"
>"not for gaming, only browsing the web and watching movies"
>pick him a nice 1080p laptop for $250
>"ANON WHY ISNT FALLOUT 4 RUNNING"
never again
>>
>>53640160
w-what hybrid senpai
>>
>>53640361

hate this shit

>"anon i need something small to take notes and it can't be more expensive than €200"
>the only option is between a shitty acer and shitty lenovo netbook, go for the latter
>"anon why is this such a slow machine with little storage i thought you knew computers"
>FGSFGHD
>>
>>53640411
>>53640361
this was a test and you failed

>anon I want ______
>I'm kinda out of the loop on laptops anon, ask around in the store
>>
Recommend them a laptop with an APU. A Z50 can be found for around $400 (sometimes less). The A10-7300 APU is enough for most tasks and the iGPU is decent enough to run new ganes at least on low 720p settings.
>>
>>53639043
old used laptops, underpowered shitty laptops with celerons and pentium crap, integrated graphics, 40gb hdd, 1gb ram
got myself an Asus with a nice i5 and a GTX850m, 8GB of RAM and 1TB HDD for a little bit more than 500 european rupees.
Poorfags and tech illiterates need to stay the fuck away from tech.
ez, not even mad
>>
>>53640490
this
>>
why do people come to you for advice and then purposefully ignore it or do the opposite, then get problems and they complain? This has to be some psychological thing, like you're weak if you take advice so you'll just do your own thing?
>>
>>53640490
this
>>
>>53640526
For those who don't follow advice, my guess is that people are poor judges of other people's capabilities, being swayed by things such as appearance or age.

People also have no idea what they want, and think they can get things cheap and good.
>>
>>53639043
>suggesting anything
Just tell them to up their budget or fuck off, it's not worth suggesting anything
>>
>>53639043
>Max $400
>T420s, now fuck off
>mfw they love it
>>
>>53640490
>implying they know how to change settings
>why isn't my shit tier laptop playing things at max
>>
>>53640398
Cube i7 Stylus or something similar?
>>
>>53639782
>phone is second hand one m7. Works great.
>current laptop bougth from my friend for 120$. Put a quad core i7 in (from ebay) for 100$. Put a 120gb ssd in (only thing in it that is new).
>older laptop was secondhand
>note taking tiny thinkpad is secondhand and from 2005
>desktop's motherboard and cpu i found in the trash. 2700k.
>desktop's hard drive is secondhand 750gb thing that used to be in a server.
>mouse is secondhand, but modified by me
>750 watt power supply is secondhand. Never had a psu issue, even though i've always used older secondhand ones.
>keyboard is secondhand model m
>headphones are secondhand.
New shit is overrated.
>>
>>53640526
Because people see mechanics/doctors as fully qualified professional, and IT as their personal hand monkey job that's filled mostly by mongoloid curryniggers, so obviously they'd know more than you, even if they did spend their precious time to ask you for advice.
>>
File: VUIxcSe.png (244 KB, 663x375) Image search: [Google]
VUIxcSe.png
244 KB, 663x375
>>53640666
>>implying they know how to change settings
They'll figure it out eventually.
>>why isn't my shit tier laptop playing things at max
When they come crying about this you tell them that only desktops can do this. This could possibly brainwash them into saving money.

Also nice trips.
>>
>>53640705
>M7

It hasn't aged well, with Lollipop Sense lagging quite hard at times. AOSP-based still run strong on it, but its not worth it for me to give up camera/speaker/call quality for.

(Old owner upgraded it to Lollipop before selling it to me, so I can't even downgrade/flash GPE without shelling out $25 or whatever for S-OFF)
>>
>>53640807
im running cm12.1
No lag or anything.
>>
>>53640807
This is really frustrating to me. I don't like it when companies put slow-as-dicks ROMs on the phone to try and convince you to go to the new phones. HTC died as phones go.
>>
Tell them to stop being a poorfag. I had to wait and save for years before buying decent hardware. What is it with people wanting to have their cake and eat it too?
>>
>>53640838
Call quality and speaker quality (Beats is terrible on headphones pre-optimized, and decent after optimization, but its god tier on Speakers) is worse than stock, and images it takes (tried quite a few camera apps, including the stock one) comes out with a green/yellow tinge. If it was just one thing I'd be ok with it, but all 3 is too much.

>>53640845
Well, a few years back people complained when their phone didn't get the latest and greatest version of android, so companies are pushing newer versions onto the phone, even if their crappy bloated skin on top of the extra requirement lags the phone hard.

They can't exactly just release AOSP + proper drivers either, since while enthusiasts will be pleased it'll piss off their normal customers
>>
>>53640398
>>53640703
Toshiba click mini
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.