[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tech Sins
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: 1456194562399.gif (904 KB, 500x532) Image search: [Google]
1456194562399.gif
904 KB, 500x532
>Receive ThinkPad
>Installing Windows 7 partition
>Activate it with same old COA Key from my 5 year old Toshiba
>mfw between new computers and motherboard and SSD upgrades I've already used it over a dozen times
W-will they find me out?
>>
File: 1457681950922.png (484 KB, 404x600) Image search: [Google]
1457681950922.png
484 KB, 404x600
pajeet will not care as he is doing the same thing
>>
>>53637169
They don't give a shit about single users pirating it. So you'll be fine.
>>
>>53637169
Nobody cares it you're trans.
>>
>>53637169
That's not really a sing at all. The key is/was legit from an old PC. When the key is no longer in use, (i.e the PC it was activated on dies or is replaced so it is no longer contacting MS servers) MS shouldn't have a problem re-using the key. Hell I bought my Thinkpad T420 used from Microcenter. It had 3 Windows 7 keys on the bottom. One from OEM, one from the company it came from, and one from Microcenter. They were all still valid. I paid $120 for a laptop and got $380 worth of Windows 7 copies for free.

My Sin
>Built a throw together PC for my little sister 5 years ago
>FX-4100
>Geforce GT210
>Only drive I had laying around at the time was a 250gb 5,400rpm Hitachi laptop drive
>Windows 7
>Decide 5 years later (Recently) that I wanted to upgrade her PC a little bit because fuck it I make a shit ton more money now, what's $200?
>Get her a 240gb Crucial BX200, new case to replace the garbage that it was currently in as it's USB and headphone header stopped working.
>Also got her a dedicated 1TB mech drive for storage and an USB 3.0 enclosure for the laptop drive so she has an external
>The board is an old chipset and the SSD doesn't play nice when in IDE mode
>Switching to AHCI mode makes the Windows install "unable to make system partition"
>Basically I would have to start CMD from the USB stick, use Check Disk, create the partition myself etc etc.
>Easily another 25 minutes on top of the already 3 hours for updates and driver hunting that Windows installs always require.
>Told my sister Windows is expired and can't be re-used, install Ubuntu MATE 15.10
>Install Minecraft, Chrome (for netflix), and ensure Google Docs and other services work fine.
>Complete Linux install start to finish with all updates took 15 minutes.

Zero complaints and it has been almost a month now. She even learned to make a keyboard shortcut herself and was amazed you could make custom launch commands.

I guess my sin wasn't so bad considering.
>>
>>53637169
I've used my win 7 key about 30 times now, had it since 2009. You're probably fine.
>>
>>53637309
>$380 worth of Windows 7 copies for free.
No, they aren't worth shit really
>for free
No, you paid for them
>>
>>53637309
>rescuing your imouto from the botnet
excellent work, anon.
>>
>>53637437
By free I meant that I only paid for the laptop itself. It was being sold with no OS "as is" hence why it was so cheap. As for the $380, I was going by the price of an off the shelf copy of Windows 7. I had 2 copies of pro and a home premium copy. Pro was $140 each and home was $100.

Not saying I was selling them or anything like that. Just thought it was funny. Also the laptop was supposed to be $250 still without OS installed. Manager didn't know shit about tech. I jewed him down to $140 stating a copy of windows i going to run me $100.
>>
>>53637466
she's not entirely free as her school work requires Google services. That and she has Chrome installed for Netflix compatibility. But eh. Nice to know she can get by fine without Windows.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.