[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I fell for the gentoo meme
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: 20100808-sad-penguin.jpg (3 MB, 4288x2848) Image search: [Google]
20100808-sad-penguin.jpg
3 MB, 4288x2848
Hey again /g/. I gave up Windows almost a year ago and have been distro-hopping since. I finally grew some balls and installed gentoo after being on Arch for a few months and am a little disappointed. Firefox runs very choppily with videos (much more so than Arch) and I'll get strange merge errors when I try and merge certain packages which really slows me down on day to day activities. I was sure gentoo would be my final solution, am I just retarded? As well, my friend (slightly less savvy) switched when I did and never left Ubuntu. He's said only good things about his OS. Should I just go back to Ubuntu?
>>
>>53632547
I just want Linux to work man...
>>
>>53632547
linux is generally shit.
its made by autistic neckbeards who think they are elitists and have no intention of producing anything for the end user.
>>
>>53632547
Have got to the point where other gentoo people tell you it's your fault?

You want something lower maintenance and stable, like Debian.
>>
>>53632600
That's pretty much what reddit's been doing. It's stable, just as much as Arch was. But that's not very stable to begin with.
>>
have you tried manjaro?
>>
>>53632641

This, OP.
>>
>>53632641
>manjaro
No, but I've taken a liking to KDE lately. I'll probably try that as my next distro, I've heard that most people like it and it looks like it would suit my needs.
>>
Congrats OP you've almost completed the linux meme cycle.

You've tried nearly enough distros to realize they're all shit and switch back to windows, just like everyone else on this board.
>>
>>53632622
>reddit
ha ha wow i never even thought to look for a gentoo subreddit. comedy gold.
>>
>>53632547
>Firefox runs very choppily with videos

You need GPU optimization turned on.

>and I'll get strange merge errors when I try and merge certain packages which really slows me down on day to day activities. I was sure gentoo would be my final solution, am I just retarded?

Yes, or just too lazy to learn how Portage works
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.