[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I bought a Cryotek H5 to toss into my PC due to some heating
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: Cryorig.jpg (3 KB, 100x100) Image search: [Google]
Cryorig.jpg
3 KB, 100x100
I bought a Cryotek H5 to toss into my PC due to some heating concerns last summer. It came in when I got back from a short vacation, and I was trying to put it on right after work. Never removed the CPU from the socket, but did all of the prep work. My nerves were shot, and I ended up bringing the rig into bestbuy for them to finish it up since I had been up around 20 hour around that point. Brought it home, tried to boot, won't even get to post. Turns out I have thermal paste in my CPU somehow. They won't fix it for some reason themselves - What's my next course of action?Do I have anything I can do to fix this?

TL;DR: What can I do to clean out thermal paste from a motherboards pin sockets? What should I say to the geek squad people?
>>
Sage plz. OP has obvious downs
>>
File: 1457768792156.jpg (29 KB, 410x375) Image search: [Google]
1457768792156.jpg
29 KB, 410x375
OP why??!
>>
Get some organic solvent line dichloro methane or acetone and put it in a water bottle, name a hole in the water bottle and squeeze. Use that stream of solvent to clean the pins.
>>
>>53628780
I normally wouldnt use best buy, I was retarded and for some reason the mounting board wasn't lining up for me. I knew I was being ripped off but I wasn't mentally clear yesterday when I brought it in originally. 20+ hours awake with like 7 hours of drive time leading right into heading into work kills ones thinking process pretty well.
>>
>>53628659
If this is actually true, how the fuck do you leap from "not removing the CPU, but doing all of the prep work" and then "bringing it in to best buy" (lmao.) What exactly the fuck happened when "your nerves were shot?" Also lel
>>
>>53628830
>20+ hours awake with like 7 hours of drive time leading right into heading into work kills ones thinking process pretty well.

Yeah no shit bro. You're stating this like you actually know this is a true fact yet you're the one coming here with the fucked up CPU as a result of you fooling around with it on no sleep. Hopefully you at least learned an important life lesson to not attempt to do things that may be difficult for you after being awake for almost an entire day.
>>
take it back and demand a refund for fucking up your machine duh
>>
>>53628834
You don't have to unseat a cpu to apply a heatsink. I just removed and put the brackets on, and for some reason couldn't get the heatsink to actually mount to its brackets, and at that point I decided to bring it in and have it be someone elses problem for a bit.

I guess atleast now I know not to trust the work to others.
>>
>>53629047
Aftermarket heatsinks like pic related usually need a backplate installed on the back of the motherboard to fit the "bracket" that tightens the heatsink down onto the CPU. If you didn't do this step then this is why the heatsink didn't mount properly. If you had the backplate installed and it still wouldn't seat then you need to check that you were using the right size standoffs depending on which CPU you have (intel mainstream z97, z87, etc have different height standoffs than x99 etc. This is usually supplied with the heatsink.)
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.