[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So now that Google is undeniably making a desktop version of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1
File: 2016-03-20-19.26.55.png (875 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-20-19.26.55.png
875 KB, 2048x1536
So now that Google is undeniably making a desktop version of android, what do you think about the future of computers and OS's?
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/03/this-is-android-ns-freeform-window-mode/
https://youtu.be/L5AcnhEEU_g
>>
I love the year of the Android desktop will be a thing before year of the Linux desktop
>>
>>53628645
But android is linux :^)
>>
>>53628217
I think its great to have options. Yes Linux is half put together, yes Windows is botnet, yes OSX requires special hardware but by god we have options, the more options we have the better we will be as tech enthusiasts for it. Just wish we could stop the flame war bs, use what you like and be happy with it.
>>
Right, let's switch over to Google's desktop OS so they can abandon us in a couple years after their attention span wears out.
>>
>>53628217
Anyone else think this is retarded? They're taking the multitasks to a whole new fucking level. It's getting silly.
>>
>>53628818
Except if and when the communities have to split their coding power between ever more incompatible OSes.

And even worse, all the new devs who will move to java to support all OSes
>>
>>53628818
I'm just concerned that Android isn't ready to be a desktop OS and that google won't fix it.
Ignoring the obvious stuff like a taskbar and whatever else, there's just a lot Android can't do yet
For example, a huge feature of Google Music is that you can upload your own music and stream it. This cannot be done on android, at all. The website requires a chrome exclusive extension, which the android version of chrome doesn't support, and the only other way is a windows program.
It's little stuff like that that I don't expect google to put in the effort to fix.
>>
>>53628904
then use Chrome OS.
>>
>>53628217
Desktop android would probably be much better than chrome os. Android at least has a file manager and actual applications.
>>
>>53628217
BOTNET
O
T
N
E
T
>>
>>53628928
Way to miss the point
If other OS's do everything better then why bother with android
>>
>>53628904
> Google Music is that you can upload your own music and stream it. This cannot be done on android, at all. The website requires a chrome exclusive extension, which the android version of chrome doesn't support

that is ridiculously hilarious, a service, google music which is platform independent, but had its start on android, belongs to google i can't even
>>
>>53628972
>Model T works perfect
>Why manufacture any other car
>>
>>53629020
>I made a car out of caulk and twigs, you should use it because it exists
>>
>>53628793
What you're referring to as Linux-
You get the idea.
Android has a different license too, if I recall correctly.
>>
>>53628989
to be fair its main purpose is to get you to pay for its Music service or music on its Play store. Everyone knows the upload feature is just for pirated stuff. They won't focus on making it easier for you.
>>
What is the point. Seriously what is the fucking point.
>>
>>53629066
Google wants to own the world
I mean, more than they already do
>>
>>53629044
Android is just Linux. GNU shit isn't there.
>>
So would this run really nicely on a slow PC? Like, for instance, a PC with an Atom quad core and 4GB RAM?
>>
Get Steam to work on it, and I'll use it. I'd rather be Google's bitch than Microsoft's. And since it's open source, surely people will remove the spyware shit and make their own distros with it.
>>
>>53629534

Install Remix OS for x86 from jide's site and check.
>>
>>53628880
java is not the enemy. the enemy is underpaid code monkeys that graduated from an indian university or a code camp, who don't know the first thing about algorithm cost or unit testing.
>>
>>53629576
I don't know shit about programming, but would it be possible for steam to include the packages necessary to run GNU/Linux games on Android?
Because that could be a really good selling point, both for google and steam
>>
>>53628645
this x 3248957234089573425089324753425
also ChromeOS is linux but i'm the only person on /g/ who uses it so
>>
>>53630901
i used it until my customer required webex, cisco vpn, and docker. then i switched to vanilla ubuntu
>>
>>53631167
i feel you. i use crouton for wine programs, but really chromeos is perfect for my daily life. and i have other computers if i need to do real world stuff
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.