[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How can SD cards be faster than SSDs?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: meme storage.png (158 KB, 851x460) Image search: [Google]
meme storage.png
158 KB, 851x460
>tfw he fell for the SSD meme

How do SSD owners handle the fact that $5 SD cards made in China are faster than their meme storage? Try and defend this SSD fags.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/how-can-sd-cards-be-faster-than-ssds/

http://www.datalight.com/blog/2015/10/14/myth-busting-ssds-are-faster-the-sds-or-are-they/
>>
because i can't plug a fucking sd card into my sata port?
>>
File: 1452299554383.jpg (189 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
1452299554383.jpg
189 KB, 720x960
>>53627824
Even if this was true, using an SD card for any long term re-writable storage is just a terrible idea.
>>
>>53627838
Just get an SD card slot, then.
>>
>>53627824
Classic 'I didn't even bother reading the links I've posted'
>>
At the end of the second article they configure the SSD to be faster. The first article is just a clickbait article deriving from the second article anyway.

They were using an ultra-reliable file system used in ATMs and shit. I'm sure your standard file system wouldn't do the same kind of operations that bog down performance.
>>
>>53627824
>"When Reliance Nitro does a transaction point, a command is issued through the operating system API to force any data that still resides in any caches (both OS, and hardware, if present) to be flushed to the media, and in this testing, this procedure is noticeably slower on SSD drives than it is on SD drives (since SD has no internal cache)"

Wait, so if they just disabled Write-caching on the SSD it wouldn't have to do this flushing procedure anyway?
>>
>>53627824
They're talking about banking machines
>>
>>53627824
what the articals are claiming is that its faster to get to writing,

i/o, read, write, size, cost, longevity, all belong to ssd over sd

potentially an sd will start writing a file faster, but a ssd will find it, read it and finish writing it faster.
>>
So basically

The SSD took longer because it had to flush all the data from its cache to the drive in order for a safe transaction. However in a normal situation this cache is just going to make shit faster.

This doesn't even suggest that SD's are faster one bit. It just suggests that in the case of banking, the cache works against the SSD rather than with it.
>>
>>53629433
And this only applies to this very specific configuration. They were running Windows CE which doesn't support any of the SSD storage optimizations like TRIM which leads to performance issues.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.