[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How can anyone use apple computers seriously? You realize they
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4
File: macbooks-620x349.jpg (17 KB, 620x349) Image search: [Google]
macbooks-620x349.jpg
17 KB, 620x349
How can anyone use apple computers seriously?

You realize they are nothing more than fashion accessories right?

Its like buying designer jeans with no pockets and are tight as shit because they look nice, rather than buying a pair of jeans that actually fit comfortably and will last years
>>
>>53626334
>Its like buying designer jeans with no pockets and are tight as shit because they look nice, rather than buying a pair of jeans that actually fit comfortably and will last years
No shit, only first worlders with too much disposable income buy apple products.
Second and Third worlders actually buy stuff thats value for money because they dont have loads of money to jerk around with
>>
I can't think of anything more cowardly than posting these questions on /g/, where the only people that will argue the points with you will be trolls.

If you believe this shit, go try and ask these questions on a mac forum. or will you turn into a frothing faggoty asshole as soon as someone earnestly tries to discuss this with you and get yourself banned?
>>
>>53626334
Actually, they're very nice laptops. Have you ever owned a MacBook? Sure, I'll admit that the 2015 MacBook is a piece of shit, but the 13 inch Air is the best laptop I've ever owned. These things last for years and years and hold their value well. They can also run windows or any Linux distribution you throw at it, as well as OS X which is imo the best OS out there.
>>
>>53626334
>How can anyone use apple computers seriously
I'm in graduate school in CS at one of the top 5 universities in the world and the >50% of us that use MBPs aren't doing it ironically.

>they are nothing more than fashion accessories
they run unix-y operating systems that don't require a lot of configuration to get drivers and interface behavior working sensibly. The rest of the stuff we can tweak, but the defaults are sane. And we don't sweat bullets when we need to connect to a projector with an adapter or something - the display settings will just work (or at least be easy to tweak). you'd be amazed how important that is.

>it's like
stop. we don't need analogies. we understand what a computer is and how one computer relates to another. if you need to make an analogy, make the connection to something you actually understand better
>some fashion analogy
okay thanks for trying.
>>
>>53626530
>throttlebook
Even if it's nice to use it doesn't mean that it's a good value for money. A MacBook Air has about as much computing power as my $500 laptop but costs twice as much (the base model) and because it has no active cooling it's useless for anything other than browsing Facebook and word processing.
>>
>>53626530
>They can also run windows or any Linux distribution you throw at it,

So does any other laptop I've owned. If you have an install disc/iso for any other OS, it will work on hardware that's not older than 2004.

Come on anon, you know that wasn't a good arguing point. Pic something unique to Mac. Other laptops do exactly what you've described.

I'm disappointed.
>>
>>53626642
>Even if it's nice to use it doesn't mean that it's a good value for money
the value for most people is a function of utility or happiness. nobody - not even anyone on /g/ - is maximizing the resource usage of their laptop. part of the value we get from it is determined by stuff like whether we like typing on it, like the screen, etc...

you're using CPU power as the sole criterion for value, which we both know is dumb.

if someone is happy using a macbook and would be unhappy using a different laptop - even one that's half as expensive - then what's $500? honestly, over a period of 2 or 3 years it's trivial. so stop acting stupid (or being stupid, whichever).

>>53626658
i don't know why he brought up linux and windows; we all know most people don't install anything else on whatever laptop they get.

i don't know who OP is trying to address here. if he's talking to software developers, then see the "unixy" point in >>53626568. if he's trying to talk to everyday people, then he should try >>>/outside/
>>
I own a Retina Macbook pro 2015
Before I owned this I was a Linux user on a thinkpad.

I really like this laptop, honestly. It probably wasn't worth the price, but it treats me good. Also OS X is pretty great in most cases, except for the fact you can't change the color of the theme. And there isn't a first party package manager with a lot of packages such as apt or dnf, but brew can get me by.
>>
>>53626334
>You realize they are nothing more than fashion accessories right?
They look beautiful and are very reliable.

Bought a 27" 5k iMac a few months ago for $1900 after taxes and no regrets. Poorfag wage slave too.
>>
>implying non apple products last more than apple

nope
>>
>>53626642
You mean macbook?
Macbook air has active cooling.
>>
Here it goes agian, neckbeards who compare their $200 chink shit tier laptop with a macbook because of muh performance.
Come back with a laptop that doesn't feel like ass and breaks if you look at it from the wrong angle.
>>
>>53626334
My only issue with the MacBook is no proper dock.
>>
What am I missing out on by using my Macbook Pro?
>>
File: 1450367924426.jpg (23 KB, 250x228) Image search: [Google]
1450367924426.jpg
23 KB, 250x228
>>53626334

Why do you fucking losers make these threads? Do you really have nothing better to do? Nothing you want to watch, read, do, learn?

In case you're wondering why you get replies to these threads it's because you're anonymous. If we knew who you are we'd all know what a fucking loser you are and never take anything you say seriously.

They are laptops running a tailored OS at a premium. Using one doesn't make you stupid, and not using one doesn't make you poor. It is a choice, and not one that effects you.
You are the cancer ruining /g/. Instead of talking about actual technology you perpetuate constant pointless arguments and "LOOK AT MY PURCHASE I'M BETTER THAN NORMIES NOW!" threads.

Now get the fuck out and stop whining about what other people spend with their money in a blatantly obvious attempt to make yourself feel better.
>>
>>53626798
5k @ 30hz
Pathetic
>>
>>53626883
>>>/v/
>>
>>53626883
don't even care brah

I only use it for 4chan, recording my ps4 videos, and managing my websites
>>
File: 1452776771697.gif (2 MB, 236x224) Image search: [Google]
1452776771697.gif
2 MB, 236x224
>>53626334

Some people use ThinkPads models of 10 years ago. Why people can not use the Apple notebooks?
>>
Funny how these """""people""""" that shit on apple never actually used any of their products, also most of them are gamers (aka manchildren).

Meanwhile the majority of people that use or have used Apple have nothing but good things to say about it.

Says a lot about the muh spec culture. Total cancer of technology
>>
You apparently don't realize MacBooks aren't comparable to the cheap consumer shit you find at BestBuy.

Want to compare a MacBook to a Thinkpad? That's a fair comparison, but don't compare it with some <$800 laptop that can have a Core i7 because everything else was made like an 1980s Hyundai.
>>
>>53626334
>You realize they are nothing more than fashion accessories right?
What exactly does Apple hardware worse than non Apple hardware?
>>
>>53626975
a lot of people that shit on macs and os x clearly have only used iOS devices, and talk about os x being severely locked down and shit
>>
>>53626334
You should stop getting butthurt, because people use things you don't like. I know we are on /g/ and stuff, but it only makes you look like an autistic manchild.
>>
>>53626334
>How can anyone use apple computers seriously?
>how can anyone use a pretty but standard x86 laptop?
>>
>whining about what somebody else uses
>>
I got a 15" rMBP 2015 (16GB RAM, 256GB PCI SSD) from my employer. It serves as a laptop for work.

At home I use Ubuntu 14.04.x LTS (dualbooting windows for some games/photoshop) on my 14" ultrabook with similar stats as the rMBP.

I must say that the mac has surprised me, sure it has its quirks sometimes, but overall as a developing machine it totally blows the rest out of the water.
>>
anyone who isn't a moron realizes that it's great hardware. just not the best deal.
>>
Classic MBPs are a definite exception, but they're still pricey as fuck unless you buy them used, and even then they cost several hundred more than a thinkpad with the exact same hardware. You can even replace the CD drive with another hard drive if you wish, just like you can with a thinkpad (no gimmicky slide-out numpads though).

If the touchpad and lack of lolworthy BIOS lockdown matter that much to you, blow off the thinkpad and go for it, it's your money

Now, RMBPS, MBAs and shit are definite fashion accessories. Less ports, soldered and glued everything, proprietary screws, all for a prettier screen or a few grams off the weight? Total shit.
>>
>>53627212
>prettier screen
You probably meant to write the only decent screen on the laptop market thats not a >$3000 workstation.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.