[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it worth learning C++ in 2016?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
Hi, /g.

I'm a Python developer and yesterday a company offer me a job position as a C++ developer. I have zero experience with C++ but they said it is a long term position and they are OK with paying me to learn the language. The salary is very good. But I wonder if it is worth to learn C++ in 2016? I heard many awful things about C++ and there are new languages like Go, Rust, why people still uses C++?
>>
File: 1346555674216.png (125 KB, 268x265) Image search: [Google]
1346555674216.png
125 KB, 268x265
>I'm a Python developer
That's cute.
>>
>I'm a C++ developer
That's cute.
>>
>why do people still use C++
shit's everywhere man, legacy code is one reason.

What awful things have you heard about C++?
>>
>>53626199
pointers bruh, pointers
>>
>>53626199
>shit's everywhere man, legacy code is one reason.

In fact, they want to hire me to rewrite all projects from python to C++. They said the current code base is terrible, there is no test and things break too often.

>What awful things have you heard about C++?

Too many things. Here is one link from my bookmarks: http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/57918
>>
because they're retarded
>>
>>53626154
C++ is literally the best language we have overall. If you plan to make apps for the desktop, you'll be better off with this.
>>
>>53626225
Lol, if you can't understand pointers then you shouldn't touch anything programming related.
>>53626154
> they said it is a long term position and they are OK with paying me to learn the language. The salary is very good
Try and see for yourself. You won't know your limits until you try. If you're not a babby and you can deal with it then you will have a good job, if you're too stupid then you will go back to python.
>>53626264
>>What awful things have you heard about C++?
>Too many things. ...
C++ is terribly if you try to use all the features or you try to be overly STL compliant instead of using shit appropriate for your shit. It also needs more expertise than most of the other popular languages. If you can deal with this complexity you will be able to write good C++ code, if you can't you will write extremely shitty code. This also means for you that it will be harder to learn *properly*. Lot of good C++ code (written by hardcore C++ devs) doesn't follow just one paradigm rigorously, but instead the challenge is in properly selecting what abstractions to use and what part of C++ to use for your use case. This is the opposite of the popular let's select a design pattern approach common in for example Java. C++ is much broader.
>>
It's not going away soon.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.