[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>follow Rust developement for years >See it becoming more
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: 1374796030634.png (117 KB, 444x440) Image search: [Google]
1374796030634.png
117 KB, 444x440
>follow Rust developement for years
>See it becoming more and more clusterfucky and feature-heavy like C++

Rust was a mistake

t. Everyone
>>
>>53625381
why, whats wrong with it? genuinely curious.
>>
>>53625381
Turns out a high-level language without GC is retarded.
>>
>>53625381
As long as it has sane pattern matching, sane optional unicode support and no header files it's still better than C++ to be henpai, desu.

You could argue that the lifetime checker is hard to implement for alternative implementations, but there is even an otherwise simple scripting language called Dyon having this feature, so I think that's wrong.
>>
File: 417px-Ada_Lovelace_portrait.jpg (84 KB, 417x599) Image search: [Google]
417px-Ada_Lovelace_portrait.jpg
84 KB, 417x599
>>53625381
What's even the point friend?
>>
>>53625381
rust was DOA.
>>
>>53625978
Having a non-GPLd compiler that is gratis, free and based on the LLVM, for a start.
I wish Ada had that.

Or a community that can actually help you because it exists at all is nice, too.
>>
>>53625999
It is not free if it is not GPL.
>>
>>53625381
it's a mess dude
they even thought they could compile time statically check for array out of bounds
>>
>>53626060
Bounds checking*
>>
>>53626060
Tracking and passing the size with an array has worked fine for C for over two decades.

Rust devs are dumb and cluelessly overcomplicating everything.
>>
>>53626075
runtime checking isn't fine
>>
>>53625999
Why do you hate freedom?
>>
>>53625978
Reinventing the 30 year old wheel?
>>
>>53626047
Wrong.
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/licenses.en.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_free_and_open-source_software_licenses
>>
Anything in IT that puts identity politics ahead of technology is doomed to suck.
>>
I agree, the game got kinda shitty after the new version and the original version became "Rust Legacy"
>>
>>53625381
Who would have expected this would happen with a Mozilla vanity project
>>
>>53626079
Because freedom is an illusion.
Freedom by the GPL is even a much bigger illusion.
Freedom by law is one of the biggest illusions to exist.

Also >>53626923

Also, what you define as freedom is probably cringeworthy spergdom.

>>53629055
If you mean pre 1.0, everyone was told so in advance, so they had it coming.

>>53628753
Seems that is the only good reason in this thread.
Also, I don't like how cargo relies directly on git repositories.
>>
>>53629670
Be careful around all that edge senpai
>>
>>53630134
The truth is bismuth.
>>
Elaborate a little.
Feature creep isn't that disgusting unless they look like the tacked on horrible mess that C++ has
>>
>>53630291
This, the only things that make the C++ features bad are their defaults and the fact that they contradict each other.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.