[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey guy. I just installed Ubuntu on my old thinkpad yesterday
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: anus.jpg (7 KB, 208x242) Image search: [Google]
anus.jpg
7 KB, 208x242
Hey guy. I just installed Ubuntu on my old thinkpad yesterday but i don't really like it. What distro can you recommend me that is easy to use?
>>
>>53623649
Manjaro or Fedora
>>
>>53623657
did...did you just choose two random distros?
>>
>>53623649
>I just installed Ubuntu on my old thinkpad yesterday but i don't really like it.
Well what don't you like about it? UI? Package management? Name? Stableness? Compatibility? Up-to-dateness level? Inability to open some Windows software?
>>
>>53623741
I don't like how it looks and also that they have that weird app store thing. It feels so windows 8 like.
>>
>>53623761
You can try the Ubuntu spinoffs. XUbuntu is Ubuntu with XFCE. There's also Ubuntu MATE, Ubuntu with good old GNOME 2 desktop.

Outside of that, try Mint Linux or Debian Jessie
>>
>>53623761
Install a different desktop environment, XFCE is nice, it's lightweight and has the basic features of any DE.

It's one command line to install if you don't want to use the software center. And to switch to it after installation there's a little circle by your name on the login screen you click on to switch to different de's.

Also try WindowMaker, cause it's like old school macOS and fun to tinker with.

You can pretty much just google how to install them.
>>
> Hey guy. I just installed Ubuntu on my old thinkpad yesterday but i don't really like it.

well your wrong
>>
>>53623994
So he does like it?
>>
>>53623649
Install it again
>>
>>53623898
This is the best input so far. I am using ubuntu MATE and I switched from elementaryOS, which was my first Linux experience in a really long time. I use Linux exclusively now and like it a lot better than Windows now.
>>
Xubuntu, just type

sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop

into your terminal, then after it has been installed just log out and log back into Xubuntu session
>>
Windows XP
>>
I'm surprised nobody made the gentoo joke
>>
>>53623657
>>53623678
Fedora is actually breddi gud
>>
>>53623649
Use Debian or Fedora or an Ubuntu spin, or if you wanna try something hard but not too hard (I'm assuming you're new) either Manjaro or Antergos (my current distro), or you could Install Gentoo. But that's if you're really good and wanna compile EVERYTHING.
>>
>>53623649
Go Debian with KDE
>>
>>53623649
I'm assuming your problem with Ubuntu is one of interface. I'd recommend trying out the other Ubuntu derivatives, Xubuntu and Kubuntu are my favorites. Each uses a different desktop environment over the same core.
>>
>>53625508
Not that guy but this is what I recommend. I dislike unity, but xubuntu is easy to get comfy in.
I want to Kubuntu but I've already gotten comfy. I'm not a distro hopper I just want something to USE, and xubuntu is great.
>>
>>53625536
Don't, KDE is shit unless you really want spinning cube effects when you switch desktops
>>
>>53623649
korora
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.