[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Internet Is Toxic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 29
File: 1739_01ec.jpg (77 KB, 590x300) Image search: [Google]
1739_01ec.jpg
77 KB, 590x300
I feel like I've become jaded by the internet. As a whole. I feel like I've oversaturated myself with it and I've grown to progressively hate what it's become.

I can't go anywhere without a comment section being filled with hateful arguments, idiots, teenagers and pretty much every stereotype in the book.

I can't even come to 4chan, possibly the only tolerable anonymous website on the internet without it being spewed full of memes, bait posting, shit posting and just all around cuntery.

Reddit is another shit hole. Completely full of social and regressive leftists. The voting system is stupid and it's full of recycled pun trains and shitty jokes.

Social media sites like Facebook, Instagram and Twitter are a cess pool of attention seekers, narcissist and egomaniacs. It's full of fake people trying to show how normal and happy they are. Only posting the highlights of their life. While hiding anything remotely bad or negative.

News websites are just a complete red flag.

I definitely feel like with the saturation, I've warped my own sense of reality. I look at things differently in the real world because of the sheer amount of time I've spent online. Not that it's anyone elses fault but mine.

I'm of the opinion since the iPhones inception in 2007 that it kind of doomed the internet as a thriving community. That might sound stupid but hear me out.

Think about it from 2007 and onwards. Smartphones were getting better. Tablets became a thing. Now think about it in 2016. Almost every single person you see in a civilised country has a smartphone or tablet. Whether it be an iPhone, or a Samsung, or what have you at least someone has one. Kids, teenagers, adults, even the very elderly.

Most of all who now have access to the internet to spew their garbage all over the place. I don't remember hating the internet this much nearly 10 years ago.

This is just how I've come to feel. I feel like maybe I should take some time away from my computer as a whole. I don't know.
>>
>>53623187
I apologise if some of it sounded incoherent. I rushed it and completely maxed the character limit. I said most of what I was feeling anyway. And I don't really see it getting any better any time soon. I know it might come across as edgy, and I think the internet itself has progressed for the better, but the sheer amount of people using it has made me hate every minute of it.
>>
>>53623187
Go read a book.
>>
>>53623213
And then discuss it with the like-minded folks of /r/reading or /lit/ ;3
>>
This was good to eat biscuits and honey to.
Why don't you just disconnect?
>>
>>53623213
I probably should. I lost all interest in reading when I became addicted to the internet. That doesn't mean my perspective on it is without merit though.
>>
It's time to disconnect a bit more often
>>
>>53623187
>This is just how I've come to feel. I feel like maybe I should take some time away from my computer as a whole. I don't know.
That's what I've been planning to do. I'm going to just disconnect.
>>
>>53623226
>Why don't you just disconnect
That's a good question. I suffer from depression and anxiety. I've often felt I use this as a coping mechanism. Maybe as an escape. I'm highly addicted to it.
>>53623233
Do you disconnect?
>>
File: 1446518933273.png (152 KB, 359x414) Image search: [Google]
1446518933273.png
152 KB, 359x414
You're just going through your "look how cynical I am" phase
>>
>>53623187
>regressive leftists
LOl.

You're part of the problem, kiddo.
>>
>>53623243
Not really. I've always been pretty cynical. I don't think I'm smarter than everyone if that's what you mean. But I'm sure you could agree that there are certainly a lot of idiots on the internet. I know I say a lot of stupid things from time to time.
>>53623236
What do you plan on doing while you aren't at a computer?
>>
>>53623233
>Coping mechanism
Maybe the internet is better than hard drugs
>>
>>53623239
I try. Even if it's just to go take a long walk and meditate on my thoughts.
>>
>>53623187
> hateful arguments
I'm going to guess you're a bitter far-left supporter. Stop reading politics for a while, it'll make you a better person.
>>
>>53623271
My computer broke tragically one day but I decided not to fix it. It gives me some breathing room. Now I am just waiting for an excuse to break my phone.
>>
>>53623275
I don't really follow politics at all. I mean I see it on the news from time to time, but I don't really know how I'd categorise myself. People on the internet are really hateful though from what I've seen over the years. Even in the most happiest/positive news articles, YouTube videos or what have you, you'll find dozens of angry people shooting it down for seemingly no reason at all.
>>
>>53623271
I used to walk every single day. I'd just put in my headphones and space out to the music. It was amazing. I don't even know why I stopped. Depression works in funny ways. For maybe 3-4 months I'll have huge bursts of motivation then for the rest of the year I'll be on a downward spiral and lose all interest in everything I ever enjoyed. It fucking sucks but it's a vicious cycle I continue to find myself in.
>>
>>53623293
If you are going to not follow politics, make sure to not keep an opinion. Also don't vote.
>>
>>53623264
It's surprising how addictive it is. I'd say a larger portion of 4chan users are addicted to coming to this website. After all, can the average joe say they've ever exclusively visited a website every day for years on end? Excluding Facebook. Although I guess it counts.
>>
>>53623187
or you could goto the deep web where all the faggots are scared
hear me out
it's full of idiots buying drugs and illegal shit sure
but it can just as easily be used to host a legitimate website like 4chin
just setup the deep web service and run a nginx or apache server
that way all the tards (read edgy faggots) are scared to go there
all the elderly have no idea what the deepweb is
and all the adults with either not know how to use Tor or be scared to use it
plus no more FBI related bullshit
>>
>>53623308
Well, for what it's worth you're definitely not alone in that. I'm currently doing the same thing, squandered self-improvement and all. edX courses sitting there unvisited as deadlines loom.

I think the best thing to do is we just have to accept our downtime, meditate/recharge and then power through it and get back into that motivation, which is easier said than done.
>>
>>53623317
I'm registered in Australia so by law I have to vote.
>>53623329
Not a bad idea I guess really, but it's a lot of effort to go to just to use the internet. I feel like I'm saturated in the culture of it all and just need to take a break. I'd probably fail, but it's worth a shot to take time away.
>>
>>53623187
there's a thin line between too little traffic and too much traffic, i feel like /g/ has pushed over to constant memes and useless help threads, I've been lurking smaller forums and have found better content. but if your using the internet purely for entertainment and not education or hobby tutorials your making a mistake, and wasting your time. all your gonna get is condescending unintentional trolls like >>53623243
the internet is filled with the same people we cringe at on youtube.
>>
>>53623332
>which is easier said than done
It is, which is frustrating. I wish I could constantly be at my best. It gets frustrating mostly for myself because I love fitness but end up only working out very inconsistently because my depression gets right in the way and I end up taking huge periods of time off and lounging around in my bedroom on my playstation or watching movies and tv shows. People mock mental illness but it's a fucking struggle.
>>
>>53623187
what the hell is digg?
>>
>>53623358
Reddit before Reddit.
>>
>>53623342
>i feel like /g/ has pushed over to constant memes and useless help threads
This goes for a lot of boards on 4chan. I use /mu/ a lot and it's literally near impossible to have a decent discussion because 95% of the users would rather shit post, make bait threads, troll posts and just abuse the fuck out of each other.

I like a good joke as much as the next person but sometimes you actually want to just discuss your hobby whatever that may be.
>>
>>53623338
actually i have experience
you run a program to generate the .onion
and from there it more or less works like a normal website
also fellow ausfag
also using Tor instead of a normal browser isn't that bad
it can also have addons etc so it's just a modified firefuck
>>
>>53623374
Every time I used to browse the deep web it would run slower than dial up back in the 00s.
>>
>smartphones are the problem
Welcome to 2010

Smartphones allow more people to be online. They're easier than PCs to use so you need less intelligence, they're easier as in you don't need to sit at a desk to use one, they're networked 24/7 so you don't even need to be in the right place.
In short they allow more people to be online more often, causing a complete dumbing down of the internet to cope with the unwashed masses.
>>
>>53623382
not sure Tor has decent speed for me
usually 100kb/s to 250kb/s
>inb4 muh 1gb/s connection
it's not that bad if the page isn't all crowded with shit and your a little patient
>>
>>53623396
Exactly what I'm getting at though. Like I said to another anon, I don't consider myself fucking Einstein but I do consider myself a little above some of the fuckwits you see online in comment sections, forums and any other form of online community.
>>
>>53623407
>a little above
anon the people you see online are totally retarded
most people on /g/ are above them
and most people on /g/ are retarded
>>
File: renge.gif (1 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
renge.gif
1 MB, 500x281
>>53623187
Getting shit off my chest since I've noticed the same, the iphone made it pretty bad but when grandma got on facebook (around the same time) is when it really went to shit I think. I mean fuck I can turn on the news now and hear about memes and shit now. Now that everyone in the developed world lives in the internet now it IS becoming "srs bzns" because it has no healthy divide from the physical world anymore with everyone accepting it as a staple of day to day life. Instead of just using it to check email and that's pretty much it ur mom and grandma are posting memes now.
>>
>>53623401
What sort of internet plan have you got? My area won't allow me to get anything higher then DSL2+.
>>
>>53623417
Most people on /g/ aren't retarded. Most people just say stupid things at the funniest times.
>>
File: i'm 112 years old.jpg (126 KB, 379x480) Image search: [Google]
i'm 112 years old.jpg
126 KB, 379x480
>>53623418
>>
>>53623419
im ausfag so im getting NBN soon but i only have ADSL2+
amerifats get up to 1gb/s in major cities i hear
>>
>>53623443
lol yeah right, maybe like 3 people in the whole US get 1gb/s
>>
>>53623468
i hear google fiber is the shit tho
also don't you all have optical fiber anyway?
>>
>>53623187
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-Gwgt51-Aw

you haven't seen the internet if you haven't seen this
>>
>>53623353
Literally me.
>>
>>53623478
average us download speed is like 12Mb/s down and 2-4Mb/s up
>>
>>53623496
Literally most people in this world :/
>>
>>53623443
I'm aussie too man we already discussed that. Although I'll be lucky to see NBN in my town in the next 5-10 years.
>>
>>53623503
better than AUS
we get 1mb/s down and not sure how much up
if you live close to the exchange you can get 2mb/s down
>>
>>53623496
How do you cope?
>>
This is why i dont like to live anymore.
I try to occupy myself with something i find purifying. Ever since coming to /g/ a few years back, i made it my goal to create something that will make computing machines and, perhaps at some point, the internet, more bearable. Ive beeing working on a unifying UI that takes note from things like Apple's designs, Microsoft's Future Vision videos, futuristic shit and the like. Its this idea that all facets of computing can be interconnected by a common unifying framework, where menus and features are similar accross differnet applicayions. So productivity apps, social networking frontends and management software alike all have a standard for what each button, gesture, menu icon does. Making it reveals to me the connection between all these applications, which makes me happy for some reason. Its not only a vision for everyone, its more like a coping tool for myself.
I'm probably crazy.
>>
>>53623513
they fucked up the whole plan with NBN because the government tried to go back on it at the last minute
>>
>>53623187
>full of social and regressive leftists.
sounds like you might enjoy /pol/, or killing yourself in a gruesome way. either way, not here.
>>
>>53623523
Yeah. I checked only a few weeks ago and it said "no plans" for my area as of yet. It's a complete joke that our internet is like this in a first world country.
>>
>>53623520
sounds like a nice idea for normies
although just never try to implement it into everything on the internet
people will be angry when their fav website gets the unifying shit in it
>>
>>53623520
>I'm probably crazy
Nah man, you're good. The internet is a cess pool of memes, arguments, hate, idiocy, advertising, click bait, narcissism, egotism, and all around garbage. I can't summarise it much more than that. I'm just glad I'm not on social media anymore.
>>
>>53623517
Mostly watching anime. It's a slippery slope from here to watching anime waifu girl toons.
>>
>>53623534
yeah, like every website wanting me to connect all my accounts and shit to it. usually just a bunch of features no one wants or uses
>>
>>53623537
I've never been into anime. Ironic considering the foundation of 4chan was based around anime culture. I've tried a couple out like Cowboy Bebop but I eventually lose interest. I'm very into traditional TV shows though.
>>
Literally normies. Have a look at the catalog of this board and you'll find nothing but "normie" tier threads with no content, no value and no real discussions.

It's all fucked.
>>
>>53623550
anime is kind of weird, the stuff i like with anime is completely different from a normal tv show. Non Non Biyori is the my shit but if it was an actual tv show i dont think id be able to pay attention for more than 5 minutes
>>
>everyone is shitty and hateful
research says you choose your online audience. it's called "social silo'ing" or something. point is, welcome to the life you chose.
>i can barely tolerate 4chan
does this not signal a problem on your part...?
>reddit is full of social and regressive leftists
this just sounds like a Markov chain of shit learned from /pol/...
>social network ... attention seekers
sounds more like projecting. who made a thread proclaiming how fed up with the world he is?
>only posting the highlights of their life while hiding anything remotely bad or negative
nobody wants to see or hear about negative things. we learn to talk about what people want to hear about. this isn't just a facebook thing or an online thing, you fucking congealed mass of autism.
>>
>>53623565
I understand that. Anime is definitely in it's own realm of things. I liked Cowboy Bebop if I'm being honest. I don't even know why I stopped watching it. I got to about episode five. I also tried a show called FLCL (Fooly Cooly)? It was okay but very out there.
>>
>>53623574
You preach about not wanting people to see or hear negative things and you end your sentence with "fucking congealed mass of autism". Nice touch.
>>
>>53623582
FLCL was the base for a few animes i watched
if you like more dark themes try AOT or claymore
it really depends on what your into
lately ive been re watching avatar the last airbender and the legend of korra
>>
>>53623582
yeah, sometimes a show is good but i just don't stick with it, a series can feel like such an investment with how long they can be, and slow they can move. I think it's after like episode 3 or 4 on most shows though is when you get "hooked" or not so if you don't feel like watching it after that point it probably just wasn't for you. show's can be good but still not appeal to people.
>>
File: download.jpg (16 KB, 176x287) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
16 KB, 176x287
>>53623574
>>
>>53623596
1) it wasn't preaching. you just feel preached to because you're a fucking idiot.
2) people don't want to see or hear negative things from their friends. that's not controversial or surprising unless you just don't understand human beings.
3) what's the "touch" here?
>>
>>53623187
I didn't read this.
>>
>>53623598
>it really depends what your into
I think what puts me off about anime is how unrealistic it is. Some of the story lines are just so far out there. If I was going to watch one, it'd have to be a drama based series. I mean, TV isn't exactly realistic either, but it's a lot more realistic than some of the anime stories I've seen/heard of.
>>53623606
It depends for me. Some TV shows I was hooked the first episode. IE Mad Men or The Shield. Whereas some other shows can take me nearly a season to get into, like GoT.
>>
hey OP, take the hint.
>>
>>53623620
>people don't want to see or hear negative things
Hence the hugbox/confirmation bias mentality. Which is terrible. We live in a society where bad shit happens all the time. You can't hide away from it through your social media outlet. Social media is so damn fake and it baffles me that you're trying to defend it. Even most people that use it would agree that it's a front for what people are truly like.
>>
>>53623630
yea anime is more of a sci-fi thing
but im into sci-fi so i enjoy it, especially the dark themed ones.
>>
>>53623630
Yeah sometimes it takes me a season too, but I think that if you're willing to sit through a season of a show then it must've hooked us in some way.

>>53623620
Not get your tendies today?
>>
File: 1450591835417.jpg (429 KB, 1477x1941) Image search: [Google]
1450591835417.jpg
429 KB, 1477x1941
>>53623187
>2007
Nailed it
>>
>>53623628
>>53623636
You pretty much proved my point with those half arsed attempts at shit posting and samefagging. Which is one of the things I mentioned. Nice way to prove you're one of the masses of idiots on the internet.
>>
>>53623662
The only reason I used 2007 as an example was solely because of the iPhone. Knowing the rest of those kind of solidifies my opinion on the matter.
>>
>>53623642
I'm saying it's not just social media. When you talk to people offline nobody wants to hear about the bad shit going on when they ask how you're doing. They just want you to say "fine" or "good" or something like that.

When you make small talk with people, all anybody ever wants to hear about is good stuff. Nobody is interested in hearing about depressing shit, and certainly not depressing shit in your life. You must have noticed that people stop talking to you when you open your conversations with negative shit.

I'm not defending social media - I'm acknowledging human preference and bias. If you have a problem with this, your beef is with human psychology, not Facebook or Twitter.

You fucking retarded faggot.
>>
>>53623670
Yeah seriously. Solidifies my opinion too. The internet was nice because it was a break from the real world but now the line doesn't exist anymore.
>>
I don't normally advocate for drugs and alcohol, but maybe you need some OP.

Either that or a therapist. I don't know what a therapist would tell you, but I'm sure they must have seen hundreds of cases like yours. I'd say go outside, but out there is still fucked.
>>
>>53623308
I know the feel exactly. Feels awesome that I'm not alone in the stupid cycle.
I don't know what happened. I felt so satisfied with life. Now I don't even know where to go. I fairly certain that it's existential depression. I also have a bit of Generalized Anxiety Disorder, I've learned to work with it though.
>>
>>53623662
you should add "the year OP was born".
>>
How old are y'all I wanna know if I'm talking to depressed first world problem kids fresh outta highschool or 30 something work beaten burnouts
>>
>>53623682
LSD and sex
i was once depressed and a nice anon prescribed LSD and sex and it worked great
>>
I remember back in the 90s and early 00s, contextual clues were enough for most Internet users to perceive sarcasm. What changed?
>>
>>53623693
im >>53623694
not so depressed anymore
>>
>>53623693
Probably a mix of both desu.
>>
>>53623663
I wonder what it would take for you to admit that you're being paranoid and that multiple people honestly think you're a faggot. Because I bet this screenshot won't do it. You'll come up with some conspiracy to explain anything away as long as that explanation doesn't involve you being wrong.
>>
>>53623681
Exactly. I googled the amount of internet users active online and the statistic I read had it at about 3.2 billion people down from 1 billion about 10 years ago or so.
>>53623685
Mine was pretty much diagnosed as a chemical imbalance so it's not like it's a circumstantial depression via a family death or something of the sort. I'm pretty much stuck this way.
>>
>>53623700
hurr durr what is a router i just use the internet box
>>
>>53623329
it's been done before, shitposting got to it and most the overchan frontend admins gave up running it
>>
>>53623693
>>
>>53623693
19, its only gonna get worse from here
>>
>>53623715
Well everyone in this thread thinks you're a faggot but I don't think you'd believe it.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-03-22-03-29-41.png (497 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-03-22-03-29-41.png
497 KB, 1440x2560
>>53623663
See, I posted "I didn't read this" because I KNEW you would care. Acting like your blog shit is actually important.

Go outside, take a breath. Fucksake man.
>>
>>53623693
My guess: Everyone here is just old enough that it's becoming salient that their lives have been complete failures, and it's making them really frustrated to see people on the internet not going through the same kind of crisis of confidence.

That means early to mid 20s.
>>
>>53623513
Where the fuck do you live? Nbn is already rolling out in many towns
>>
>>53623739
Making assumptions is a pretty stupid thing to do as well.
>>53623749
Brisbane.
>>
>>53623749
>falling for the meme
the NBN wont be in most cities until 10yrs
the government said it themselves
>>
>>53623751
i got friends who only just got connected there
they do it per suburb type thing and it's been 3 years since the first NBN connection in brisbane
>>
Is this what happens if all you do after you come home from work is browse the internet when you're not watching anime and playing games?

That basically sums up my life, but I haven't really hit the whole "depression" wall.

28, virgin, still an apprentice, etc.

I hope I can just get a job where I can afford to live in a house with a garden.
Having some open space around for hobby projects seems like a decent enough way to keep depression at bay. Sunlight helps too.
>basic woodwork
>gardening
>beekeeping

OP; do you have any other interests?
Apart from bitching about things online, of course.
>>
>>53623751
I don't know what part of this was an assumption. I made a shot in the dark - an uneducated guess based on a few years of seeing people get hyper-defensive to various sorts of things on 4chan and /g/ in particular. I'm not making an assumption about anyone in this thread. A lot of people just happen to fit into the age range I threw out there, but people could be having this crisis of confidence at any age as long as they're hyper-aware of how much better their peers are doing and it bothers them enough to make them angsty anti-social curmudgeons.
>>
I'm pretty sure my lingering depression would go away if I could just find a few people to actually do something with, I have friends but unfortunately none of them are /g/worthy
>>
>>53623767
>still an apprentice,
is this a real thing or are you role playing here?
>>
>>53623765
Like I said, I literally just checked the NBN rollout website and it said there are no plans to roll it out in my area as of yet. So I don't know what to think. I'm in suburbia about a 30 minute drive from the CBD.
>>53623767
>depression wall
I was depressed before the internet hatred got to me. I'm 22 now and I've been depressed since I was a teenager. I was hoping it was just a puberty thing that made me unhappy but unfortunately it wasn't.
>do you have any other interests
Of course. Music, fitness, television/film, shoes(inb4 fuccboi), technology, dining.
>>
>>53623227

There is a word for people like you in my language: Depp.

Don't complain about the internet and books at the same time.
>>
>>53623806
I didn't complain about books? I love reading, I just lost interest in it when I found the internet taking up most of my time.
>>
a lot of depressed people in this thread. are any of you formally diagnosed? treated? therapy? anti-depressants?

i'm not asking for recommendations - i just find it convenient when people who lack motivation and/or work ethic throw their problems into this "Depression" pit because society has given people with depression a much wider berth in the last 10 or 20 years, and it sounds like a cop-out, like when a parent excuses their misbehaving child as having Asperger's or something.

are any of you bona fide depressed, getting (or at least seeking) help?
>>
>>53623820
Are you like one of those turbolosers who does so little that just playing video games would be an improvement over your current state?
>>
>>53623187
I think the problem lies in social communication. A vast majority of people are uncomfortable talking to people in real life. Before the internet, you dealt with it and it eventually got easier or you were a shut-in. Now its easy to bypass real life human interaction with the internet. You don't have to stumble through a lot of awkward conversations with people, you can just avoid it and still get social interaction via the internet.

People with "muh anxiety" are free to ignore their problem and still have their social needs met. Now there's a collection of anxious people who don't know how to properly communicate posting whatever they want because there are no repercussions like in real life.
>>
>>53623840
>formally diagnosed
Yeah. I got diagnosed a bipolar a few years back. Although I still question whether I'm bipolar or just severely depressed.
>treated
I was on zyprexa for a while but all it did was make me drowsy and sleep for extended periods of time. It made me feel like a zombie so I stopped taking it. Never took any medication again.
>therapy
I was seeing a counsellor for a while before I found out he was a full blown young earth creationist and I felt he became unprofessional about his job and let his religion get in the way when I mentioned I was an atheist.
>>
>>53623847
>does so little
I have a job. I have a social life. Although as of late my social life has been stagnating a little. I definitely get out of the house though. I went to a concert only last week to a favourite band of mine.
>>
>>53623858
That's a fair point too. I've read about situations like that. It's probably why I get dumbfounded at the amount of shit like this I see online yet these people are nowhere to be found in real life.
>>
>>53623858
literally the description of more than one of my friends
>>
>>53623884
Also helps that most people you meat offline just wouldn't talk about this in person really. Most real life convo's are filler or about stuff that's not a big deal because no one wants a face to face convo about this type of thing because it's awkward.
>>
>>53623909
>I typed "meat"
just crucify me pls
>>
>>53623909
depends on the type of friends you have
some people i have known for years are happy to talk about the real shit going on in their life with me
>>
>>53623860
Are you saying you went off medication without, or with, a psych consult?

my mom's bipolar and there's nothing worse than when she unilaterally decides to stop taking her medication. do everyone around you a favor and look for other medications. Bipolar has like a dozen different drugs to treat it. If you didn't like zyprexa then go try one of the other dozen drugs out there.

and there have to be more therapists in your area. i understand and appreciate a bad therapist fit but writing off the whole thing because one therapist was a quack is like writing off medicine because you had one shitty doctor. go find another therapist. one that's not a creationist.

or better yet, sandbox their role in your life from the other shit they do. if they're just giving you ways of framing and dealing with shit in your life but not doing it in an evangelical way, what does it matter if they're a creationist or gay or left-handed or whatever else?

I don't care whether my gardener appreciates the mechanisms behind plant life and growth or believes all plants have little plant souls given to them by the Almighty Lord Jesus Christ. He mows the lawn and trims the hedges and he accepts money for that. getting caught up in other shit in his life would just cause me stress.
>>
>>53623909
>Most real life convo's are filler or about stuff that's not a big deal because no one wants a face to face convo about this type of thing because it's awkward.
To a certain extent your right. I've had some incredibly deep conversations with close friends about all kinds of topics/issues. It just depends how close you are and what kind of friend they are to you.
>>
>>53623884
>>53623901
It's sad, because these people think and have been told its a brain issue and to them that means incurable. Instead of disassociating the fear with the people, they avoid the fear. Can't blame them I guess.
>>
>>53623794
Uhh, I'm a machinist's apprentice.
It's a real thing.

Yes, I'm "old", since I realized I was getting nowhere in academics despite having spent some 5 years reading books, conducting experiments, translating Japanese, etc.

I decided I wanted to try something else to see what it would be like.
So far I like it, I've got 3 months left of my apprenticeship contract, so now I'm looking for a job.

>milling
>turning
>robots
>3D printers
>production line maintenance
>etc.

It's like being a carpenter, but with metal instead of wood.

>>53623800
>I was depressed before the internet hatred got to me.
Well, that sucks.
I guess I have things in common with people who are actually depressed.
Not that I'm trying to actually understand what a long depression is like.
I've got periods where I have projects that need attention at home, but nothing gets done even though I have nothing better to do.
Mostly I just go to sleep thinking I'll do something about it tomorrow.
Then the next day I go to sleep thinking the exact same thing.
>tfw no dominating gf to boss you around
>>
>>53623919
I started using zyprexa because it was recommended to me by the psychiatrist but I felt like he was shilling it because it was a new drug at the time. This was several years ago now. I just stopped taking it because I hated it and how it made me feel.

I've definitely been contemplating going back to counselling and getting on medication though seeing as I've been in such a bad place lately.

The thing is, whenever I spiral down, it's seemingly for no reason at all. I wish I knew what it was like to be a normal mentally stable human being who knew how to cope in life.
>>
>>53623918
Yeah but those things are related; you don't talk to new friends about serious shit (generally).

This goes back to the facebook/twitter/"people only talk about upbeat things" issue. When you're on facebook you post to the lowest common social denominator - and to be clear, i'm not talking about intelligence, but the social context of your relationship. If you have 40 friends on facebook and 30 of them are close friends but 10 are sort of just people you've met and hung out with a few times, then you're going to post statuses that lean more in the direction of propriety for the 10 that are more distant.

there's been some research on personal sharing on facbeook and stuff. if you're interested in critiquing (or just criticizing (or just bitching about)) how vapid and superficial social media is, read some of those papers at least. otherwise all this sounds like armchair philosophy without having ever read any.
>>
File: download.png (7 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
download.png
7 KB, 225x225
>>53623937
>tfw no dominating gf to boss you around
>>
>>53623933
Maybe. I don't understand it really. I can't imagine isolating yourself on tumblr, reddit, facebook or even 4chan day in day out would be a very rewarding experience. You'd think you'd reach a breaking point where you wanted to change instead of being stuck in a cycle of the same shit.
>>
>>53623937
You might be depressed, who knows. Have you ever thought about trying to get a diagnosis?
>>
This is an /r9k/ thread.
>>
>>53623952
everyone does break at some point, just some people take a long ass time. and of course there are some people who break and it's not a positive one :/
>>
>>53623957
>implying r9k isn't what most of 4chan is thinking anyway.
>>
>>53623940
>I felt like he was shilling it because it was a new drug at the time
he definitely was. representatives pay doctors to prescribe newly approved pharmaceuticals. but you need to appreciate that the doctor in question is a professional and has ethics, and that they
1) won't prescribe you something that they think will harm you, and
2) won't force you to stick with something that doesn't work.

you take the zyprexa, give it a few weeks, tell the doctor that it's making you feel like shit, and he prescribes you lithium or something (in small doses or it'll kill you like it nearly did my mom). this is how pharmaceutical medicine works.

if you really want, you can fast-track past zyprexa by saying you don't want to take it without having taken it, but then you risk being that obnoxious patient who suddenly thinks he knows everything about psychiatry because he spent a particularly long period of time browsing WebMD in the patient waiting area.
>>
>>53623943
Social media is vapid and meaningless though. I personally believe it has no place in this world. I'm not saying it provides zero benefits, it does, but the sheer amount of people that use it dull it down and make it a horrible unsatisfactory experience.

Do you personally use it?
>>
>>53623187
Your problem is that all the website you mentioned are full of user generated content. The whole WEB2.0 thing was a mistake. Go find interesting sites by interesting people, withoout comment sections, and read/watch/listen/whatever to those instead.
>>
>>53623980
this is what i mean.
>>
>>53623963
>and it's not a positive one
Yeah. I feel that. Id on't want to turn out that way though. My aunty and uncle are pretty much that way. I don't even associate with them. Both of them live off government benefits and sit on Facebook all day long and whine about how the government owes them more.
>>53623985
The whole idea that you're basically forcing yourself to only post good things is stupid though because it's such a facade of what's actually going on in your life. Most people who then see such "happy" content of people having the time of their lives are comparing themselves to others. This has also been studied and researched into and it's generally found to make people unhappy because they're forever comparing themselves to others lives when in reality those other people are just as boring but their social media makes it appear otherwise.
>>
>>53623956
Not really. I don't really feel a need for it.
Eating pills to achieve this "happiness" everyone else is on to.
>muh self realization
I'd feel like an even bigger loser if I'm foreveralone -and- diagnosed with some letters.

My social life is pretty much smalltalk at work at my best friend through 20 years whom I still meet up with every... 4 months or so.

>>53623949
Not really sure how I'll ever fix this.
If I ever will.
She wouldn't have to be super bossy all the time turning her into a complete bitch, of course.
>>
>>53623981
How the hell do I even find these sites though.
>without comment sections
I'm such a pathetic person. I know that I will get angry when I read comments but I do it anyway. What the fuck is wrong with me.
>>
>>53624007
>My social life is pretty much smalltalk at work at my best friend through 20 years whom I still meet up with every... 4 months or so.
Would you say you live a mostly solitary life style? I kind of feel like this would be something I could do, although I miss being in a relationship with a woman. It's been so long.
>>
>>53624008
Find some youtube channels of people better at your hobbies than you?
>>
>>53624024
Fair point. I'd like to get into baking deserts and making sweets but I don't know where to start. I guess I could start anywhere really.
>>
>>53623980
Yeah I use social networking sites because it lets me keep up with friends that I wouldn't have the emotional bandwidth to keep up with if I had to initiate conversations all the time. In much the same way that a car lets me go places and do things that I wouldn't be able to if cars didn't exist.

Social networking sites modify the effect of spending an hour maintaining existing relationships. 200 or 300 years ago, an hour spent on maintaining relationships meant 1 relationship; today I can spend that hour maintaining 4 or 5 substantive relationships. Part of that is because Facebook and whatnot have made it less socially expected to physically see a close friend every day, but part of it is because Facebook and whatnot actually make it technically possible to skim through a list of people's names, see their profiles and recent updates, and quickly prompt a conversation to keep up with them.

Imagine talking to a friend about a recent trip to another country and how much time it would take to poke them to get them to tell you about some delicious food they had or a memorable experience, and then contrast that with seeing a photo of the food or a status about the experience. Either way, you both have a resultant conversation about that thing that you two share, but digitally mediated social networking makes it possible to compress all that setup.

You can discount all that, and that's fine in your case, but more than a billion people find this a worthwhile arrangement in some way or another (Facebook, Snapchat, Twitter, etc... fundamentally do the same shit through this very abstracted lens).
>>
sad how long it took OP to realize what mainstream internet is becoming, it seems to me you never heard of weed, and never tried harder to find good communities to hang in, mostly its just something you do that keeps you in those groups, for exampole games, or programming, seems like you got none, so find one
>>
>>53623840
Diagnosed, chemical imbalance
A thight leep schedule, diet overhaul and 5-HTP pills are pulling me out of it.

>>53623739
Not really
My former friends barely do anything outside browsing and activities together are almost over.
None of that facebook fuzzy warm feel good shit either, most people have almost stopped posting altogether.
It's plain apathy and conformism.

>>53623693
24, not even first world, nor white.

In my humble opinion, as those which came before us, we formed a culture and an identity of our own through the internet; as we lacked (or rather felt we did) one in the outside world, and clinged to it despite the rapid changes in the outside society.

We made a place of our own, and now that was taken from us as well, there's nothing to fill the void with. An Endless September of our own.

Now we cannot or refuse to adapt and join the current culture (this monstruosity of online=offline paradigm) and resort to our old dwellings (like usenet/irc people used to), but its harder for us due to our self imposed disgregard for names and personal identities, overly correct communities and obscure humor.

We aren't allowed to be ourselves now everything has been subverted and the internet is srs business

Hence we find ourselves unable to escape, because we don't really know better.

tl;dr
We ruined ourselves
Come take a seat over here, don't forget you're here forever.
>>
>>53624045
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lUe46EOcvY&feature=youtu.be&t=166
>>
>>53624036
>Imagine talking to a friend about a recent trip to another country and how much time it would take to poke them to get them to tell you about some delicious food they had or a memorable experience, and then contrast that with seeing a photo of the food or a status about the experience. Either way, you both have a resultant conversation about that thing that you two share, but digitally mediated social networking makes it possible to compress all that setup.
So let me get this straight, you'd rather see a couple of photos of someones holiday online than actually meet up and experience the look on their face when they tell you how good their holiday was..in person. That's kind of sad.

Social media should never replace real life interaction and to think it's better is pretty fucking sad imo.

>more than a billion people find this a worthwhile arrangement
Just because a lot of people do something doesn't mean it's right. Hundreds of millions of people world wide smoke cigarettes, snort cocaine, do heroin, crystal meth, that doesn't make it right. I know that's a largely insane and maybe stupid example. But it still holds.
>>
>>53624056
>We aren't allowed to be ourselves now everything has been subverted and the internet is srs business
this
>>
>>53624004
>This has also been studied and researched into and it's generally found to make people unhappy
The study you're most likely talking about (because it made the rounds in a lot of online news publications) was conducted by The Happiness Research Institute, and was published in no peer-reviewed journal or conference. It's worthless drivel.

Real research in social networking sites tends to investigate things like self-disclosure on SNSs and the effect that has on well-being. All of the research tends to show that
1) people self-disclose more online than offline
2) self-disclosure improves well-being (duh)
3) time spent on SNSs is not the mediating factor (self-disclosure is).
>>
>>53623187
It's simple, anon. You need to disconnect.

Facebook used to shit me to tears, or leave me feeling really down about my life. So I quit.
Didn't touch it for about 6 months, and now I feel so much better. These days I'm forced to use it for uni. Occasionally I'll scroll through the news feed, but it's all crap.
The only exception was Messenger, because it's the only way to keep in touch with people. Thankfully its now its own app.

Take a break. You won't miss anything, and no one will miss you.
>>
>>53623840
I'm 32 with a wife and daughter. I have two vehicles, a house, and a career as a Software Test Lead.

I am formerly diagnosed with PTSD, Major Depression, Generalized Anxiety, Panic disorder, and insomnia - and am treated with both medication and therapy since 2007.

Depression has three causes: Response to external stimuli, unresolved childhood issues, and chemical imbalances in the brain. The third one being the hardest to recover from because it involves actively challenging and replacing thoughts at all times. Even then it isn't sunshine and rainbows.

I thought I had a point to make but I guess I am just replying to your questions. I agree with OP on all accounts though.
>>
>>53624067
>hundreds of thousands of people shoot someone because muh god
>thousands of people steal and rob others
>and thousands of people do all kinds of unethical and illegal things daily
>>
>>53624085
>no one will miss you
That's the funny thing about social media. People act like your friends but you delete your account and they won't even remember you. I deleted mine a few months back and I haven't had a single message from my facebook "friends" who had my phone numbers. One even specifically said she'd keep in touch.
>>
>>53624077
Yeah that's another part of it, once the internet became a part of the mainstream consciousness everyone is super self aware of certain things they weren't before, so now everyone shows themselves through their filter of choice even more
>>
>>53624020
>Would you say you live a mostly solitary life style?
Most definitely.
I visit my family every other month or so and I show up at most of the family things I'm invited to.

But apart from that, it's not like I do anything in my spare time with other people around.

The only thing I feel like cutting out of my life is the role of working as a janitor at the apartment building i live in at the moment.
It only requires some 4-5 hours of work every month and it lets me live in a 3-room 100 sqm apartment at a reduced rate - which is how I can afford to live here while I'm still an apprentice.
It's just the responsibility of sweeping outside the building and washing the stairs - I'd rather be without it.
Something I can achieve if I get a house of my own to live in.

It's pretty much the only thing I'm working towards now - a house to live in with a garden to grow things in.
Then I'll go traveling and buy nice things for whatever is left.
>>
>>53624087
Thanks for contributing anyway. It's good to have others in the thread. Stick around if you like.
>>
>>53624115
>a house to live in with a garden to grow things in
I'm still at home with my parents trying to slowly make enough money to move out. I just bought some plants for my bedroom. It was only two plants but it made it look so much nicer.
>4-5 hours of work every month
How much is the reduced rate?
>>
>>53623251
He is right almost 90% of "tech related thread" are either tech support or sjw bitching.
We need to stop this "everyone is equal" bullshit
>>
>>53624067
>So let me get this straight, you'd rather see a couple of photos of someones holiday online than actually meet up and experience the look on their face when they tell you how good their holiday was..in person.
I think you misunderstood (or maybe just missed) the previous paragraph. Social networking sites make it possible to maintain relationships with more people per given time. I can hear about more people's trips in an hour because I can skim a news feed or scroll through someone's photos at whatever pace I want.

Your example seems particularly ill-chosen, because co-watching someone's vacation photos is an infamously painful experience. They always emphasize the stuff that they care about, which may only be coincidentally aligned with your interests. Browsing someone's online photos allows me to skip (or skim) the photos that are less interesting to me.

And don't make an analogy and then back up and call it insane and stupid. Just make a less insanely stupid analogy. At a sufficiently high level of abstraction you can connect any reasonable thing to any insanely stupid thing.
>>
>>53624108
>their filter of choice
Not only that, we're at a huge set of culture wars in western society. So many people are trying as hard as possible to be unique and set themselves apart from the crowd and then they all end up looking like clones of each other.
>>53624084
Mind passing me some links? I'm interested in reading them.
>>
It's just a phase, OP.

Only advice I can give is to stop being so judgementful. Just be chill and enjoy life.
>>
>>53624124
anon is right
everyone is NOT equal and never will be
lie all you want but once you put 2 and 2 together you will realize not everyone is equal
>>
>>53624137
But are those relationships really worth anything? quantity over quality is nothing when it comes to relationships, I'd rather have 4 strong relationships than 30 weak ones that don't have much meaning
>>
>>53624142
I've got stuff on emotional well-being (general), self-disclosure in particular, maintaining romantic relationships using technology, etc...

anything in particular you want? I can find citations or zip a bunch of shit up and put it online someplace (because I realize a lot is behind paywalls and that's kind of shitty).
>>
>>53624152
This.

One real friend is better than a dozen fairweather friends.
>>
>>53624144
>just be chill and enjoy your life
I really wish I could. I'm such an unhappy, cynical angry person. I know of a few people who are just bubbly, happy energetic and incredibly out going. I really wish I could be like them. So carefree and not worried about anything. I don't know how people do it.
>>53624137
Why do you find yourself in need of keeping up with the joneses anyway? I find this argument and old and cliched. People that talk about all their online friends "oh i need it for family or that one person i met at a party 5 years ago, or that person i met overseas 2 years ago, that kid that helped me at uni this one time". If social media didn't exist you wouldn't give two shits about these people.
>>
>>53623187
you're so right it hurts
>>
>>53624154
I just want to read some links that counter the idea that social media is making us more unhappy.
>>53624166
Surprised I've got so many agreeable answers quite honestly. I thought I'd get lambasted with hatred and stupidity but it's been pretty civil. Even the ones that have criticized have been good to talk to.
>>
>>53624163
Fake it till you make it. After a while you stop giving a fuck and you'll become much happier for it.

Being cynical and angry won't get you anywhere you want in life, it's only going to make people dislike you.
>>
>>53624152
>But are those relationships really worth anything?
Are you suggesting to answer that question for me? This is something I decide (as does everyone else). This goes back to the "if it doesn't suit you, then fine, but over a billion people are happy with this" point.

But if you need something more generalizable, then yes, it's worth something. Because we both know about person A's trip, and what they saw, and we both had a conversation with them about things that interested us. The difference is that I didn't have to
- call them or drive to them
- have a conversation to segue into talking about the trip (the norms for beginning a conversation online are different from offline)
- spend excessive time looking at photos that interested them *but not me*

A conversation about someone's vacation doesn't merit the high bandwidth of a face to face conversation or a phone call. We can talk about it through text and it doesn't *need* to be synchronous.

I've chatted with people on Facebook, headed into a serious topic, and stopped so we could get on Skype (or even make plans to meet up in person to talk) because we appreciated that text is too limited and we wanted a more meaning-full medium for a conversation that was more serious - but most conversations don't need that.
>>
>>53624184
>being cynical and angry won't get you anywhere in life
>fake it till you make it
Yeah I know that. And at work I'm as fake as I can be. I'd assume most people are. I mean, it's not that everything is fake. But I definitely put up with a lot of peoples shit just to keep them happy. Most people aren't their true selves until you get them one on one. That's just from past experience anyway.

If anything I'm probably more angry and cynical when I'm online. When I'm out of the house I feel a lot better.
>>
>>53624123
Some $200, I think.
I get paid too, $100/mo. after taxes.

I live in Denmark, so it's not a lot of money.
Still; I'll take it over living in the apartment where I lived before.

Lots of noise at night because it was literally a ghetto with unemployed immigrants ever since the summer 2 years ago - suddenly all the empty apartments were filled with Syrians or whatever.
It's a new building, so the owners wanted to make money off of it.

I thought "fuck it" and started looking for something else.
Then I came across the place where I live now, which was in the process of being turned from a run-down office into an apartment where renters could actually live.

I called the guy, we set up a meeting, we agreed on the terms, etc.

Also; I had to paint the entire apartment myself as part of the whole "reduced rate plan".

You do what you gotta do.

But I'm looking forward to getting "my own" place somewhere.
As long as I get a job, I can just live on the cheap somewhere until I've saved up for a down-payment on a house.

Nothing big or fancy. It's just me.
But it'll have to meet fairly modern specifications, I'm not looking for some creaky shack.
>>
>>53624196
>over a billion people are happy with
You keep saying that but I don't think it's necessarily true. A lot of people made Facebook or Instagram simply because all of their friends had it and they wanted to fit in. In reality they're not missing out on much. It tends to only create more drama in peoples lives getting into social media fights.
>>
>>53623187
>visit 4chan for 10 years
>thinks it wont leave it's mark

You're a cynical ass due to the nature of this website.
>>
>>53624197
then what's the problem?

Just stop exposing yourself to the things you hate and you'll be happier for it.
>>
>>53624198
At least you've got a plan. That's great. I hope you find what you're want. I can only dream right now of living alone. I'd stick with the cleaning man, just to keep that money tucked away in your pocket.

That's a lot more than I can say for myself. I'm only working a casual job and on the look out for permanent work. I personally find it less motivating not knowing when I'm going to work next. I'd rather have a permanent full time schedule because then I know that I will always have work and I will always know when I will need to be in instead of worrying when or how much my next pay check will be.
>>
>>53624210
I haven't been on 4chan for 10 years. I meant the internet in general. First started here back in '09 or something.
>>53624225
That's a fair point. I do feel like maybe I expose my self to shit and I know I'm going to get riled up.
>>
>>53624163
>Why do you find yourself in need of keeping up with the joneses anyway?
The "keeping up with the joneses" phrase relates to buying new things to keep up with your neighbors. There's basically no aspect of that that's relevant here.

>>53624176
I compiled a couple of papers but I only skimmed the abstracts to make sure it did some analysis about how social networking sites (SNSs) mediate well-being, self-esteem, etc...
If you want me to really do a more rigorous overview of them, I can read them in more detail and basically do a writeup, but you might find it faster just to skim the abstracts yourself:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1096791/social_well-being.zip
>>
>>53624233
Well, the janitor's contract is woven into my renter's contracts.
I can't really quit one without quitting the other.

Part of the crew, part of the ship.

And thanks. I think I'm on my way.
I'll just have to find a real job somewhere.
I'm hoping to find a job in Norway, I even wrote an email to a company asking them for some details about working for them.

So far they haven't replied, so I'm thinking it's about time I wrote them another one asking what's up.
>>
>>53624206
The billion number refers to the number of daily active users. Your claim that a lot of people just made accounts because other people did would refer to the people that don't actively use facebook
>>
>>53624254
>relates to buying new things
The term has deviated in recent times. It generally means just keeping up with everyone in general. Whether that be buying new things or using social media to be in with the crowd. Maybe I used the wrong term but it felt right to me.
>>
>>53623187
>morons flooded the internet
We all knew it would happen. Just avoid the more popular communities man.
>>
OP, real life is full of all the same shit. Don't let your current mood affect how you view the world/anything. it's intellectually dishonest.

all the the social platforms you listed have real world utility that can help in your personal development. you just have to figure out how to better shift through the shit and collect the treasure (no homo).

maybe take a break from it and find a hobby.
>>
>>53624264
>I'll just have to find a real job somewhere
You and me both. I wish it weren't so hard when they always need a thousand different qualifications for entry level jobs.
>>53624293
Even 4chan is incredibly popular these days. Millions of users every month.
>>53624254
I appreciate the link. I'll read through them all.
>>
>>53624304
Yeah there isn't really an equivalent of 4chan in the mid 2000's for 2016. 8ch is pretty shit most of the time feels like.

>inb4hipstershit
>>
>>53623187
>I'm of the opinion since the iPhones inception in 2007 that it kind of doomed the internet as a thriving community.
portable shitposting machines

>>53623213
specifically, go read a book by evgeny morozov

>>53623358
LOL
>>
>>53624286
Okay, but in the context that you're trying to use it, I would just re-frame it as me being interested in how a lot of people are doing, where they're traveling to, etc... and Facebook makes that a much more procedural activity to "keep up", which means I can do more of it/for more people.

Also, neither of us seems to have misunderstood, but in case someone shows up and asks why we're so interested in friends traveling, I think that's just a useful placeholder to describe the sorts of low stakes conversations that we have with friends because we're interested in their lives.
>>
>>53624297
After this thread has died out a little more, I'll weigh out my options and try and give the internet a break. I need to find some new hobbies.
>>53624348
8ch is fucking weird. Everyone there seems hella arrogant.
>>
>>53624304
Happy to help. And if you hit a reference in the papers that looks interesting but you can't access it through Google Scholar, feel free to ask and I'll make that available too.
>>
>>53624357
they even have pedo discussion on /b/. This webshit should die
>>
>>53624304
>Even 4chan is incredibly popular these days. Millions of users every month.
Yeah, but some boards are still alright. The "creative" boards are usually less feverish. (But of course limited in subject.)

Smaller non-anon boards and IRC channels also seem to have been mostly spared. You should check some out, and also try disconnect more like some other anons have said. Going a few days without the internet (or even a computer) can be really refreshing.
>>
>>53623187
Time for a road trip across North America on a journey of self discovery!
>>
>>53624366
Cheers.
>>53624372
Yeah it's pretty fucked bro.
>>53624388
I always hoped for a "sfw" /b/. I liked the funny content but I hated that 99% of the board turned into porn and gore shit.
>>
>>53624388
Yeah that's true, IRC is too annoying to setup for normalfags
>>
>>53624388
>going a few days without the internet
You know. I might just do that starting tomorrow. The only form of access I think I'll allow myself is movies and tv shows via netflix. And maybe some sports streaming. I won't go anywhere near community driven websites for a while though. It's tainted my perception of people.
>>53624408
Maybe my own country first.
>>
>Reddit is another shit hole. Completely full of social and regressive leftists

There are some pretty interesting people there. In select few subreddits.
>>
>>53623187
>>
>>53624422
Name some. I've been using the site on and off, and even in the "better" subs people still down vote you to hell just for expressing your honest thoughts on a topic.
>>
>>53624419
Does it even work if it's not North America? What country?
>>
>>53624477
Australia. There's a lot of nice stuff in my country to see. I'm thinking of travelling around my own country soon. So much countryside.
>>
>>53624423
That file name. You can smell the autism from here.
>>
File: 1458026706312.jpg (37 KB, 570x570) Image search: [Google]
1458026706312.jpg
37 KB, 570x570
>>53624423
>catalogued reaction images
>>
File: 1457234774152.jpg (5 KB, 262x263) Image search: [Google]
1457234774152.jpg
5 KB, 262x263
>>53624423
>filename
>>
Well boy's I think we're officially dead now.
>>
>>53623662
>>53623670
In addition to the Recession that fucked lots of people out of jobs, creating an economic climate that was a bit shitty for raising children, thus causing a generation of shitty kids.

Plenty of poor kids grow up fine, but poor kids are simply more shitty on average than kids raised in a decent household.
>>
>>53623187
stop using it then fucktard.
>>
>>53624560
I'm still here. Just chilling while watching Narcos. That's another thing with the addiction. I can never focus on one thing at once. I always have my laptop going while I'm watching TV. It's pretty sad.
>>53624570
So 2007 as a whole was just a fucking terrible year.
>>
>>53623187
bait: the thread
>>
>>53624612
Nice argument.
>>
File: lol.jpg (67 KB, 400x445) Image search: [Google]
lol.jpg
67 KB, 400x445
>>53623840
>i just find it convenient when people who lack motivation and/or work ethic throw their problems into this "Depression" pit because society has given people with depression a much wider berth in the last 10 or 20 years, and it sounds like a cop-out

Welcome to the 2010s.

Too lazy? Don't care enough to focus?
>ADD/ADHD
>Depression
>Gender Dysphoria
>Any form of the 'tism (high functioning, but good enough for welfare, right?)
>Especially Asperger's

And many other non-issues that people just fucking dealt with in the past.

I found out the other day that I was clinically ADHD and that didn't stop me from finishing my Bachelor's and getting a good job. So much scholarship money missed.

Fuck yes, I'm bitter.
>>
>>53624619
You're literally one of those fuckwits that stigmatize mental illness.
>>
>>53624446
I like this one
https://www.reddit.com/r/science/
>>
>>53624658
Not bad for one of the bigger subs because of it's heavy moderation.
>>
File: 1286326014153.jpg (617 KB, 982x848) Image search: [Google]
1286326014153.jpg
617 KB, 982x848
>>53623187
You are just a pseudo-elitist that really hates people, anon. Why pseudo? Because you probably lack technical skills to be real elite.

I'm a hardcore programmer and I don't (mostly) hate people, they can be nice people. At least they deserve compassion. Not everyone is born with right genes and in right environment to be smart and tech-savvy.

Its our noblesse oblige to make life better for ones that are less fortunate, not bully them.
>>
>>53624630
Mental illness SHOULD have a stigma.

It's harsh, but the mentally ill lower the quality of life of everyone around them if they cannot overcome their mental issues.

It's one thing to take care of someone who was injured, mutilated, or otherwise caused to be mentally or physically disabled. It's another to take care of those and PRIORITIZE those with scholarships and grants who are just kind of shitty.
>>
>>53624675
>cannot overcome their mental issues
What if it's a chemical imbalance that you can't biologically change?
>>
>>53624674
You don't have to literally be in an elite class of anything to be an elitist. Your usage of pseudo to try to take her down a peg feels a bit elitist, anon.
>>
>>53624674
You sound like a major arrogant piece of shit.
>hardcore programmer
lmao
>>
>>53624124
>are either tech support or sjw bitching.
Tech support has *always* been a plague on /g/. As for sjw bitching, I seriously hope you mean bitching about sjw rather than actual sjw bitching because all of 4chan is insanely conservative. There's a large overlap between 4chan, stormfront and various MRAs. This place makes most sane people uncomfortable.
>>
>>53624675
kill yourself.
>>
>>53624674
here's your *tip
>>
>>53624675
Fuck off you stupid ignorant cunt.
>>
>>53624688
They should be provided for, but not PREFERRED.

That's the issue.

Someone with clinically diagnosed Asperger's or depression has a problem, and society should help them deal with this problem in the ways that modern science sees fit.

However, we should not offer special treatment in the form of scholarships and grants, nor should recruiters have to tip-toe around this fact and make sure they have a rock-solid reason for not hiring them.

For example, as a hiring manager, I cannot write "Does not communicate well." on a sperg's interview notes, as it may not pertain to the job directly (programming/date entry maybe). However, I know that they'll make for a shitty employee otherwise and cause issues with other employees because they don't know how to function around people.

Help the mentally ill, but do not prefer them.
>>
>>53624698
>hardcore programmer
How else should I call myself if I have experience with everything from fpgas/assembly and to webdev, AI etc?
Most programmer friends of mine have lower skill and narrower experience.

Still, my point holds: if you are awesome, it's your obligation to help others that were not so lucky.

>arrogant
>>53624692
>elitist
I don't think elitism is that bad, its in human nature. But it should be practiced for good.
>>
>>53624735
>However, we should not offer special treatment in the form of scholarships and grants, nor should recruiters have to tip-toe around this fact and make sure they have a rock-solid reason for not hiring them.
Does this happen though? Even as someone with depression that doesn't seem right.
>>
>>53623187
Just man up and so being a pussy
>>
>>53624757
Yes, there are scholarships specifically for depression, and TONS of scholarships only for those with anything classified as a mental disability which includes:
>high-functioning autism
>depression
>gender dysphoria (trannies)
>Attention-Deficit

Again, I understand even those individuals affected by the less dire of these DO need help, but I don't believe they should be preferred, and I don't think recruiters should have to tip-toe around these disabilities.
>>
>>53624815
I agree friend.
>>
>>53624757
Not him, but
>scholarships
no.
>tip toe around
yes. if you're working at a place and you get diagnosed with depression the company can't fire you for being depressed. they might have to give you some disability/sick leave if you're getting treatment for depression as well.

people don't tiptoe around autists nearly as much as he's claiming, except inasmuch as people put up with autistic people because they tend to be the ones that do lucrative tech work.
>>
>>53624838
>they might have to give you some disability/sick leave if you're getting treatment for depression as well.
People getting sick leave for being sick? How absurd! We must put an end to this, sick leave is for broken bones and cancer ONLY.
>>
>>53624867
right, it sounds stupid when you frame it this way, but people who see mental illness (bipolar disorder, depression etc...) as something "not real" because a bone's not broken or a bacteria culture can't be taken view this as a cheat on the system or something.
>>
have you noticed that people (mostly girls) don't even have opinions anymore?
they don't form their own opinions anymore, instead they search Tumblr for image macros until they find one that perfectly matches how they feel then post it as a status.
"when bae cum over but you tryna sleep in XD"

i've seen image macros that are so particular that they might as well have a signature of the author at the end, like an entire story of 1st world bullshit.
"yeah just because i like my man to be handsome, a gentleman, and make me feel like the most amazing woman in the world doesn't mean i don't have anything to offer my man. it takes two to tango. 100%"
WHY THE FUCK DON'T YOU JUST TYPE IT OUT YOURSELF??? why do you need an imagemacro made on Tumblr by someone else????
people are too stupid to form their own opinions... think about that.
>>
>>53624815
>>53624757
>>53624735

Education simply should be free. It's already heavily subsidized. In Germany you can get highest quality education for free.

Seems to me that americans just like to be cucked out of their dollars by gov't that already takes half of their income as taxes.
>>
>>53624925
This certainly seems to be the case. It's interesting to note that the American government spends more on their health care system than any other country in the world but their citizens still end up with thousands of dollars in costs if they should need to avail themselves of it. At this point the argument isn't for bigger government but smarter government. Where is that money going? How are they doing less with more?
>>
>>53624925
Look, I'm about to go for a run, but describing it as
>americans just like to be cucked
is incredibly simplistic to the point of being stupid. there's a whole array of shit that led to the american higher education system being where it is today, and almost none of it was designed at the outset to have the effect that it had.

this is like poking fun at americans for having shitty cellular carrier options - we didn't go and have an up-or-down vote on a ballot initiative asking us whether we wanted to be cucked; there were a ton of little things that happened that each individually seemed reasonable (and in some cases it was out of our hands because regulatory agencies just made decisions - sometimes decisions that seemed right at the time but weren't) and companies found ways to twist their way into the system, to leverage their positions, and to make things lopsided in their favor.

nobody decided that they wanted this at the outset, and it's much easier said than done to throw everything out and start over now that we see better outcomes in the EU and elsewhere. and this is to say nothing of people that just think that the one system they've been exposed to must be pretty damn good since they have no frame of reference, so you have pushback from those people the whole fucking way.

anyway, i should've gone on my run by now.
>>
File: human-genome.jpg (69 KB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
human-genome.jpg
69 KB, 600x338
>>53624891
>people are too stupid to form their own opinions... think about that.
Is it really their fault that they were born with sub-par intelligence into this aggressive cultural environment? Shouldn't you help the sheep instead of bullying them?

Humans are really sorry, mortal creatures. Their life is a cycle of misery. Happiness is short and brief. Human life itself is short. Humans deserve generous help in correcting their (biological) flaws, not scolding.

We're just bad designed biological robots that haven't mastered effective ways of fixing themselves yet.
>>
>>53625001
i tip my fedora to you
>>
File: nrg1747-f1.jpg (106 KB, 700x793) Image search: [Google]
nrg1747-f1.jpg
106 KB, 700x793
>>53625014
Its good that You understand, anon.
>>
File: 4HPRtcJ.png (88 KB, 551x1808) Image search: [Google]
4HPRtcJ.png
88 KB, 551x1808
>>53624925
>Seems to me that americans just like to be cucked out of their dollars by gov't that already takes half of their income as taxes.

Is this post ironic?

In Germany, LITERALLY over half of my income would be taken as taxes based on your current income tax rates.

I pay 25% in my current tax bracket here in Texas.

>In Germany you can get highest quality education for free.
lol
>>
>>53623308
Are you me? I used to love the internet, it was my hobby and it was fun. My parents also used to limit it to 2 days a week, but once I became an adult, I obviously had no limits anymore. I think that was a huge problem. I think limiting yourself is the difference between recreational use and being a junkie.

I'm so disillusioned with the internet now. I only use it to look at pictures.

I also used to put my headphones on and just wall around in circles in the garage. I barely even listen to music anymore. Being old sucks.
>>
>>53625061
>Pretending that US-centric education prestige rating gives unbiased estimate of education quality

>I pay 25% in my current tax bracket here in Texas.

Hope you have your own trust fund, just in case you become ill or something. Burger doesn't have free healthcare (^:
>>
>>53624675
>Mental illness SHOULD have a stigma.
it does.

in australia as soon as your seen as mentally unstable you will lose all your friends and get barely any support from the govt or health community.

Apparently everyone and their dog has had suicide thoughts and never gone through with it.

I have had thoughts but not gone through with it coming out the other side again but this has happened so many times i have lost count.

so many sleepless nights and samey days.

>It's harsh, but the mentally ill lower the quality of life of everyone around them if they cannot overcome their mental issues.
Very true and i have tried to help out depressed people/friends as they have me but at the end of the day they cant help me and i cant help them only people we can really help is us, singular.

>>53624688
This i have had acute depression for almost 10+ years now i am 25 and it never gets any easier.

i found friends and work helped but now i dont even have that.

Really in a rut and op coming in like a whiney bitch doesnt help because i feel the same way.

Fuck it i want to go back.
>>
>>53625088
>free
>>
>>53625088
Actually, my healthcare is provided by the company I work for. In the case that I become ill, I may require many procedures and medications that cost money in labor and goods. If that is the case, I will pay up to a limit in a deductible to compensate for the proportionally higher resources I am consuming.

Most employers are required to provide health care plans to full-time employees, due to the recent health care law changes. If they don't, they suffer crippling taxes as coercion. I'm not sure how I feel about this, but either way, if you have a job, you're likely to be covered.
>>
>>53623187

I was with you up until you starting whining about "leftists." You come off as just another retarded /pol/lack complaining that everyone who wants to distance themselves from your insane far-right ideologies is a part of some evil twisted boogeyman trying to bring about the downfall of modern civilization with its "degeneracy" (or whatever buzzword /pol/ uses these days)

If the Internet bothers you so much, disconnect your computer and go back to reading Ann Coulter. We sure as fuck won't miss your contributions.
>>
>>53623187
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_September
It will only stop when we hit 7 billion.
Then it will begin to fragment and you might have your old net grow back in obscure corners.
>>
>>53625150
I know about US employer-insured healthcare.
But there are cases when you get fired (at will employment state (^: ) if your healthcare costs get high (think cancer).

Also, for now you have your comfy job, but its not forever. Can't you imagine yourself being out of job AND with serious illness? Isn't more taxes (less crap bought) a viable hedge against this unfortunate situation?
>>
>>53624350
>portable shitposting machines

Thanks anon, I needed that laugh today.
>>
>>53625175
>you get fired (at will employment state
you're approved for medicaid and many other benefits

>if your healthcare costs get high (think cancer).
then yes, you should pay more for consuming more resources

>Can't you imagine yourself being out of job AND with serious illness? Isn't more taxes (less crap bought) a viable hedge against this unfortunate situation?
Not really, I'm fortunate enough to have a job, good health, and marketable experience.

I'm sure I may feel differently otherwise, but the system as it affects me in this life would not benefit me if more of my income was taken for something that does not benefit me, such as 'free' education (I'm already done) and 'free' healthcare (I already have it.).
>>
>>53625159
Oh come off it, there's a such thing as listening to some fags opinion without LOLNOPE STOPPED THERE. You can agree with something without agreeing with all of it, he only touched on that.
>>
>>53625163
>implying it isn't eternal summer on 4chan these days
>>
Tl;dr
If you want people to read your shit just say it and fuck off
>>
File: image.jpg (12 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
12 KB, 250x250
>>53623187
I've noticed that it's not so much the technology that's to blame, but rather the idiots using it. When everyone has something, it's no longer special. When everyone knows something, it's not a secret anymore. When large groups of people come together without any real rules or guidance, they fuck it up. That's human nature.

I say the nerds get together and start over. Let the old internet fuck itself. We need to make a second internet. Not the deepweb, I'm talking a whole new internet. We did it once, we can do it again. It's time to clean house, boys.
>>
>>53625220
>Not really, I'm fortunate enough to have a job, good health, and marketable experience.

You are probably programmer like me (just guessing). You know, after 30-35 programmer desirability falls steeply. Many programmers past prime age can't get hired. Also with age the probability of illness will rise.
Is it really wise to live only in the present?

>would not benefit me if more of my income was taken for something that does not benefit me, such as 'free' education (I'm already done) and 'free' healthcare (I already have it.).
Would be OK if it were correct.
Free education => more nigs get educated => less nigs left to gangrape you, anon
>>
>>53625238
>>53625261
1) What have you done to educate these "idiots".
2) Aren't you an idiot yourself, compared to some programmers and/or other professionals? You are just a user, after all.
>>
>>53625267
>You are probably programmer like me (just guessing).
Sort of. I also do business intelligence and database architecture. I've got managerial and financial experience.

I've got certifications and a bachelor's, and working on Big Data certs as well.

I'm set for life.

>free college and shieeeet
I'm actually curious what the failure rates for blacks would be if we sent them all to college for free.
>>
>>53625297
>I'm actually curious what the failure rates for blacks would be if we sent them all to college for free.
Actually, the standards would just be lowered.

That goes for free college in general, not just blacks.
>>
>>53623187
The internet is like a virtual Fight Club. People come here to project all their hate. This is especially true for 4chan and some subreddits. Facebook is cancer no matter how you look at it(this also goes for twitter) but my point is: If you want a good conversation without memese and teen culture find a good room on irc or a similar 'not famous' form of communication.
>>
>>53625297
>Sort of. I also do business intelligence and database architecture. I've got managerial and financial experience.
Good for you then, age doesn't matter that much in your field.

Wish you really build your own small comfy life without any misfortunes breaking it all. Good Luck, anon (^:
>>
>>53625275
>implying it's my job to educate retards
>implying I'm going to do it for free
>>
File: image.jpg (33 KB, 450x337) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
33 KB, 450x337
>>53625275
>I'm an idiot

Actually, I have a lot of knowledge of iOS devices, hardware and software. Not only do I have tethered SecureROM exploits for all 32-bit iOS devices, I'm running iOS 9.3 beta 4 jailbroken and untethered. That little 1970 date trick does some interesting things, aside from bricking phones.

If you're mad, don't take it out on us.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 29

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.