[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the best light-weight Linux Distro?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 1
File: linuxlite1.png (460 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
linuxlite1.png
460 KB, 1280x800
So... I'm planning to switch to Linux from Windows because my laptop is shitty lag on Windows.. Can I get some recommendations what Linux Distros should I switch on? Something that is also good for surfing, video editing, playing video games, coding ,and anything just like a normal OS but I want it to be Linux. Thank you Anons.
>>
>Haven't used linux but I think I need a lightweight one
Even the accused KDE and unity are lighter than windows. Go for linux mint
>>
Every net install distro with wm only. Actually I'm running fedora with i3 and it runs great.
>>
>>53622587
No, go ubuntu with cinnamon.

Unless you want a distro that is ubuntu is everyway then go to xubuntu like a good retard.
>>
>>53622600
Is it just like Windows only light-weight?
>>
>>53622587
Please tell me which among Ubuntu and Linux is better?
>>
>>53622568
Use antiX
It's damn good
>>
openSUSE + Cinnamon = FUN

pro
> stable
> no botnet
>>
>>53622810
Can't believe if this fag is serious.

Linux is kernal, part of OS
Gnu/Linux are OS that use Linux kernel, often just called Linux

Ubuntu is a gnu/Linux OS and so is mint and many others.

Check distrowatch to learn about more distros and their websites for features and details.

For beginner stick to mint or a flavor of Ubuntu like xubuntu, Ubuntu with mate, or just regular Ubuntu with unity. These are closer to Windows than others and so help ease the learning curve.

Good luck
>>
>>53622992
Have you encountered any thing hard to configure while using this OS?
>>
>>53622568
First few months I was reading this board I was annoyed by the people saying install gentoo and laughing. Now I realize that they were not joking. Seriously if fast and simple is what you want you should install gentoo.

But to be honest in their bare state all distros are pretty much the same and you can choose a DE or WM that would give the best performance with your laptop. You don't really need to select a distro use the one that has repos that have packages you want or again install gentoo to solve this problem.

To be even more honest, beyond the DE or WM choice the thing you can do is optimizing the stuff you are using according to the system you have which is again can be done by installing gentoo.

If by light you mean fewest number of packages I hope that may god have mercy on your soul. It's the services that are running slowing down your computer not stuff that sits around (unless dependent packages constantly call them in which case I pray for my soul too). I don't like having a lot of stuff installed so I choose the packages with fewest dependencies but it's just a choice not a performance related circumstance.
>>
>>53623007
As I obviously look like I don't know things about this that's why I'm asking for suggestions. Don't call me a fag. Thanks, nevertheless.
>>53623019
Thank you. I will check gentoo out!
>>
>>53622993
FUN?! What do you mean?
>>
>>53623047
Every op is a fag by default on 4chan. Also, stick with Ubuntu or mint and away from gentoo for time being
>>
>>53622568
Ubuntu would probably best.
Elementary is pretty light weight too but i'm not sure if that'd be good for everything.
>>
>>53623067
Thank you! Ubuntu seems okay... Can I ask a question? What made some Linux OS's hard to use? As I see there are for beginners and intermediate.
>>
>>53623065
Thank you Anon. :)
>>
>>53623117
It's probably because they work different than windows does.
Everyone starts off with windows and they start using something else and they don't get it.
There's also the fact that there are so many distros, and there are bugs that not everyone can find a fix for because of how some of them update. And also there's no games (this is improving though). If you're pretty good with computers it should be easy though.
>>
>>53623146
Oh, okay. I guess I can take away the gaming part.. Anyway my laptop is too trashy to run games. Thank you!
>>
>>53623018
Nope, it just werks
>>
>>53622568
Lubuntu
>>
Assuming you need a full DE:
Use a Ubuntu variant, Lubuntu or Xubuntu (LXDE and XFCE respectively). Maybe Mint with MATE.
>>
>>53623171
Well there are still plenty so no worries.
You can still use something to run those windows only games. Wine, parallels, and crossover can run those games that windows can't so that's one solution if you ever need it.
>>
Windows 10
>>
Lubuntu, Archbang and Bunsen labs are the lightest. If you want something with more features, use something with xfce. But how can you do video editing when your hardware can't even handle using windows.
>>
>>53622568
serious talk here OP
get Debian or Ubuntu with mate/Cinnamon
otherwise if you want something very light get xubuntu
but for now just Debian with mate will be fine and it even comes with an installer
also mate is much much lighter than windows
>>
>>53623209
Oh! Thank you, again. :)
>>
>>53623218
Sony vegas and photoshop runs smoothly to me but when I try to run games it's just too lag. I can only run games with light-graphics.
>>
>>53622749
The OS is called Mint and it's pretty similar to windows. Not sure how lightweight it is, if that's a big concern for you, go with peppermint.

Both of these are based on Ubuntu, so they're fairly easy to use for beginners.

Also, for questions like these, it's better to head to the friendly Linux thread, people are more willing to help over there.
>>
>>53622568
Debian with openbox
>>
>>53623218
Bullshit. Antix is lighter than all of them, and more functional and better as well.
>>
>>53623335
was using crunchbang, openbox was an amazing ui experience once you got used to it but i felt like something was wrong in my settings, couldnt get alot of things to work properly. i really miss right clicking for main menus
>>
>>53622587
>>53622600
dont listen to these idiots what you want is something like arch cent os or slackware. i suggest slackware or cent os since any retard could install it. if you want to try and learn something go for arch. if you dont want lightweight and want something easier do any debian fork (ie ubuntu or mint) or manjaro
>>
>>53622568
Hi OP,
I've been long time fedora user till I've tried manjaro on my x240, which is not a powerhouse and I was pleasantly surprised. Give it a go.
>>
>>53622568
check out bedrock linux arch or LFS
>>
I've chosen to try first Mint with Mate. Thank you guys! I will switch to other OS if I didn't like it.
>>
Ubuntu
>>
Ubuntu
>>
>>53623117
Installers, Ubuntu has a gui click through installer, Gentoo is all text commands.

Ubuntu also has the easiest software management, namely due to the Ubuntu software center.
>>
crux
void
>>
>>53622749
of course not. The only thing that could maybe qualify as being like windows but light-weight would be windows server or ReactOS.
>>
>>53622568
Ubuntu MATE + Redmond Style on MATE Tweak
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.