[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /g/ think of CentOS?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: centos.png (57 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
centos.png
57 KB, 1000x1000
What does /g/ think of CentOS?
>>
>>53622408
who cares? what does centos think of /g/?
>>
my university uses it on all linux machines, thats about all i know of it.

ubuntu master race
>>
it's free redhat. Gets used all the time for servers so you can find decent documentation.
Configuring the network is so much easier than debain/ubuntu, like holy shit is debian annoying with that
Everyone is stuck on 6 because people are used to it and the scrub indians that over-provision their servers can't use cpanel on 7.

other than that, yeah kinda normal linux distro
>>
>>53622866
>scrub indians
*scrub durkas
sorry, mixed up my clients. Middle Eastern guys buy the servers, Indian guys do the tech support. I dunno why
>>
>>53622408
I like it very much. I even used it on my laptop for a while. For personal use you might not be able to find everything in official repositories so it was not a very fun ride using it on laptop.

For the actual thing it's made for, it's the best I've used. It's just free RHEL, nothing else needs to be said.

However it usually lags behind in updates. Last time I used (about 2 months ago) it was using an unsupported kernel version (3.10 I think but I'm not very clear) and that's pretty much it. Other than slow updates it's pretty good. And you can manage your own stuff if you want cutting edge.
>>
>>53622866
can you seriously not add a couple lines in /etc/network/interfaces?
>>
Free RHEL
Slow update
Lack of software in repo

Installed on old servers in my workplace.
Most are for compatibility sake.
Require more attention on server admin side, especially when installing and updating software not in repo.

For new servers, admin prefer debian as update are released faster and most softwares available in repo.
>>
>>53622408
It's stable.
Tends to be a bit behind on features because the upgrade ladder goes as such:
Fedora -> Red Hat -> CentOS
>>
>>53622408
>CentOS thread
If one had a Dell Poweredge, would it be better to use this over Xubuntu? I plan on getting Xen running and I want the management tools for Dell.
>>
>>53623191
>a couple lines
>a couple
go do that with a /24. Or a dozen /24s. It's shit. The only practical way is to use ifup/ifdown scripts.
Debian also doesn't hold the configuration is memory
>change NICs from eth0 to eth1 or some other nonsense
>restart network
>oops fgt you forgot to set eth0 down first
>debian goes HURR DURR and can't turn down the interface because you changed the config
whereas centos just handles it
>>
It's shit if you're using it other than making some networking cluster
>>
Amazing distro. It's RHEL, the most serious server distro made the only company that gets taken seriously on an enterprise level in Linux and that fixed most major bugs like Shellshock and Heartbleed, without paying for the support. SElinux is a bitch to configure.

I've noticed /g/ has a trend in distrohopping. They start with Ubuntu or Mint, and then go straight to Debian or Arch and stay there. Then they spout stupid recommendations like "Debian or Arch" even though 2 distros couldn't be any more different, but keep in mind these people still don't know anything about Linux, they're just repeating what other people said.

So they never try Fedora, Centos, any of that. So when confronted with a distro they lazily never tried, they'll put out some generic insult like "it's shit".
>>
>>53625133
My route was Ubuntu > Debian > Fedora > SUSE
>>
Use it on my vps
About 450 days uptime atm with no issues
>>
>>53622408
The perfect distro to deploy and forget it exists
>>
>>53622408
literary poors man Linux
too simplistic for my superior taste
>>
>>53627505
>being such a pleb that you need support
what do you use?
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.