[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Freelancing on the side?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: chromebox-keyboard[1].jpg (54 KB, 700x349) Image search: [Google]
chromebox-keyboard[1].jpg
54 KB, 700x349
what would you guys think is a good tech related work to do on the side? ill be graduating soon and looking to get a good job. However once im settled with that i would want to contract some work on the side to earn a little.

For my job ill be going into the IT field as a systems admin or networking, or security etc not sure yet.

And i thought i could contract my self out to smaller companys that dont need a full time employee for their IT related needs. I would like though something that doesnt require me to leave home as much.

learn web development and sell my work that way? What do you guys think is a good option?
>>
>>53620731
deal meth
>>
bump. interested about this too.
>>
youre going to burn out fast
>>
>>53620731
I do freelance work on the side, and I have to warn you, it requires you to be social as fuck. If that doesn't bother you, it's not bad, but getting clients and keeping them can be a lot of work (that you dont get to charge for).

Once you get a handful of reliable clients who regularly need your work, it's pretty nice. Just be careful not to burn any bridges because word can travel fast.
>>
Your best bet is repair work. Don't do companies as a side job, they'll need you full time. "In a few days when I have time off" does not work when the whole business is down until you unfuck their POS system from all the viruses the shitlords at the register got from browsing clickbait while it was slow.

>>53620844
This.
>>
>>53620862
this is why i thought possibly going the webdev route and just making the website for some company that needed it.

would i still need to be social as fuck and maintain all these connections?
>>
>>53620891
ya im unsure of the time commitment that is required for this sort of thing and my best guess if web development is the most free in regards of, i choose when i work on it.

Or is that completely false?
>>
>>53620912
It depends. My freelance work is mostly web dev. I work on my own as an independent contractor, so there's no one to act as a buffer against my clients' bullshit. It was awful when I was doing freelance full-time because I had to hustle hard and couldn't afford to be too choosy about clients.

Now that I'm only doing it on the side, I pretty much just ditched the clients I don't enjoy and kept the ones I do. It's pretty cozy. They understand that I'm busy and only still doing freelance because I enjoy having variety in my work. They'll throw me a job every now and then, and I'll do it if I have time, but they're not depending on me anymore, which is great.

I don't know how much of a problem maintaining this level of connection is for other people, but for me, it's not much effort to maintain relations with the clients I like.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.