[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tiling WMs raison d'être
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 15
I would like to hear a single real world example where a tiling WM actually improved anyone's workflow, quality of life or just made any significant task more efficient . As opposed to regular stacking/floating workflow of course.

I was tiling solely for over two years before a few months ago when I had an epiphany. ALT+TAB is just as good as any other method of changing window focus, every WM has virtual desktops coupled with key bindings anyways, and if you're moving windows around to the point where it's interfering with your typing then you have some way unrelated issues.

I'm now on Cinnamon, still using only keyboard, and it's a fucking blast how my desktop actually behaves like every single application ever expects it to behave instead of breaking or using hackish ugly pseudo floating UI elements.

So to you tilecucks, give me ONE (1) use case for a tiling WM please?
>>
>>53620391
all the neckbeards within 5 miles get wet when i post my hot anime bitches on my riced out desktop wit a tiling wm
>>
>>53620391
>I would like to hear a single real world example where a tiling WM actually improved anyone's workflow, quality of life or just made any significant task more efficient . As opposed to regular stacking/floating workflow of course.
It improved my workflow, quality of life and made my job more efficient.
>>
>>53620391
Alt-tab only brings one window to focus at any one time.

A TWM with virtual workspaces allows you to "tab" to different screens each with one or more windows.

Each screen for a different job.
>>
>>53620391
Live things such as CPU status, IRC messages.

Seeing compilation errors, memorizing the line numbers, and then alt+tabbing sounds fucking ridiculous (especially with >3 windows open). No, thank you.
>>
Once upon a time, there was a guy who never used more than three windows, and never used programs other than a text editor, a web browser, and a terminal

Tiling WMs were made for that guy.

>>53620525
>needing automatic window management to not have two windows overlap

if your workspace is that crowded then it would be even less usable if you tiled it
>>
>>53620564
I currently have 15 windows open.

>implying you could fit all that into your shitty floating WM
>>
>>53620577
Finally something promising. Print screen or argument is void.
>>
>>53620564
>needing to move your mouse to not have windows overlap
Sorry, the answer's still no. Tiling makes everything just easier.
>>
>>53620564
>>53620577
>what are workspaces
>>
>>53620595
Do you not know that every modern WM has modifiable key bindings for moving windows around? And if you need to see more than 4 windows at one time then to post a screenshot of this being useful please.
>>
Because we're not idiots.

I'm not a dick, but just think, fast food is the lowest job culturally. Yes these people do a great job (at least in my mcds) with shitty keyboards with 100 buttons and non-antialiased fonts, ocd icons, transitions. But sure, keep buying the tech drivel pushing a billion pixels and million dollar icon sets. These things are just there to market their products. Dancing Baloney as someone once said. Even an army private doesn't have problem learning computer shit in a few months of AIT. People learn by education in many forms, not by buying the newest shit. Why do you think most of our rich celebrities are idiots? Start reading and stop spending money on stupid shit or you will wake up stupid and broke one day with a house full of junk.
>>
>>53620391
alt-tab doesnt help when you need to read from one window (or two) and input stuff into another.

This happens a lot with programming. Reading documentation/examples/other parts of your code when writing it.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-03-22-00-45-56.png (315 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-03-22-00-45-56.png
315 KB, 1440x2560
>>53620620
>sitting there for 30 seconds holding down your keybindings to change the window size, pixel by pixel
Still no
Not posting a screenshot, I'm on my phone in bed
>>
alt+tabbing will get the job done, sure..

I use awesomewm and have mod4+hjkl bound to move around by window position, this works in stacking mode as well.

With awesomewm I also have dynamic tagging (which is awesome's version of workspaces). Programs I've defined rules for (like a list of browsers, or a list of terminals) open in a specific tag, and things that aren't in my rules get their own tags and default as floating.

As an example, I use Guitar Pro and it spawns a sub-window, both of those automatically go into it's own tag (and I don't have rules defined for them) and default to floating mode.
Most programs end up in floating mode in their own workspaces, but I have the benefit of being able to merge tags together with awesome, which I often do with my web tag and term (or emacs, depending on my mood) tag
>>
>>53620654
Yes, I've gone configured this about a hundred times over. In Cinnamon, programs spawn windows in whatever workspace you put them in. You can do this with modifiable key bindings. If you use floating windows in awesome you are literally retarded because the implementation is terrible and every WM ever has workspaces. Next?
>>
>>53620648
What are you talking about? Hold down what key bindings? What goes pixel by pixel?
>>
I can look at an anime picture, watch an episode of anime, show my kernel version in the terminal, and shitpost on 4chan all at the same time, OP
>>
>>53620716
I'm too tired to explain this shit.
Fuck you, tiling WM makes my life easier, I don't have to explain my reasons to you.
Another day, Anon.
>>
Alt+tabbing works alright, but most twms have a much more fine-grained way to move around windows. I can more easily bring the window I need into focus iwthout touching my mouse to use an exposé-like feature or having to tab through every more recently accessed window.
>>
with my 3 monitors, I've found them tiresome to work with
>>
>>53620701
>the implementation is terrible
I've never personally encountered an issue

>every WM ever has workspaces
yes, but I'm talking about tags, not workspaces, tags have predefined rules, workspaces are just generic containers
the biggest benefit for me, as I described, is I can temporarily merge workspaces, like, show me all the windows in tag X and tag Y, and then switch to just tag X later and all layouts are preserved

though I'm beginning to feel you're not interested changing your opinions at all, you just want to prove a point, in which case discussion is pointless
>>
>>53620760
As I said, I know tiling WMs well. I know of directional focus switching. I still claim this is extremely useless since I have never seen one use more than 3, 4 windows in the same workspace and NEVER have I seen anybody switching between them all frequently enough for it to matter. I only see hindrances in using a tiling WM.
>>
>>53620787
What I'm saying is, you put the program there once, then it keeps it's windows there. Tagging is useful on paper but in reality I find that nobody closes and reopens different programs frequently enough for that to ever matter.

I used tiling WMs extensively and I know all the most popular ones by heart - I think this should be considered being interested.
>>
>>53620790
I don't have screenshots or anything but I can tell you that it has made things noticibly easier on a few occasions, and I'm someone who spends a lot of my free time in Windows and almost all my time at work in OSX. Most recently it's been when I'm working on some paper and I have my source code in one window, a stack that only shows either the compiled pdf or a terminal to compile the document into the pdf one at a time, and whatever reference material I am using in another window.
If I'm not programming I never really use more features than the workspaces though because I usually am just browsing or watching a video or shitposting on irc. I can also say that I've had no problems with multiple monitors though.
>>
>>53620861
So use a terminal multiplexer or even emacs for your latex. Or don't, I just wanted to see if there was some merit to the idea that tiling WM = amazing for productivity and so far the verdict is no, just people repeating stuff I have tried for years.
>>
>>53620905
I personally prefer to leave that sort of thing up to the wm if I've got an X session up already. To each his own I guess.
>>
>>53620391
>instead of breaking or using hackish ugly pseudo floating UI elements.
Could you explain this? I've been dicking around with i3 a bit recently (looking at setting up a 90s Thinkpad of mine for shitposting and wanted something that would use little RAM because the thing only has 72 MB) and haven't experienced anything breaking or any problems when I set a window to float. Without those problems I don't see a reason to use a full desktop environment that uses 26x the RAM if you aren't going to use it to do anything that you couldn't do with a tiling WM.
>>
>>53620391
I use manual tiling; keybinds which call shell scripts to move windows to predefined positions. I love it, since it improves overview and workflow, it doesn't feel as claustrophobic as automatic positioning.

It's the ultimative golden cut.
>>
File: crop-Mar22-15:34:27.png (655 KB, 1679x1049) Image search: [Google]
crop-Mar22-15:34:27.png
655 KB, 1679x1049
>>53620391
I have a workflow that mostly uses the keyboard, you can more easily choose what window you want active when tiling vs alt tab.

Scenario:
>You're focussed on window 1, which is on workspace 1, the workspace has another window open but that is irrelevant
>You want to change focus to window 5 on workspace 3
>You can alt-tab 5 times, or you can go:
>>super+3
>>(potentially optional) Change focus to window 5 using super + the appropriate directional key

thats as little as one keypress and as many as 2, maybe 3 or 4 if youre someone who likes a whole bunch of windows open per workspace.

But of course, lets be real here, the reason I prefer tiling wms isn't any logical hoops I can jump through to imagine ways that its faster, its simply that i prefer using this setup to the alternatives.

If I'd of preferred to use alt-tab, i would use it.
In your usecase it seems like you were just a meme bandwagoner who changed WMs because it was hot, not because you got any benefit.
>>
File: linux.png (213 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
linux.png
213 KB, 1280x720
>>53621185
>calls someone out for being a meme bandwagoner for using a tiling wm
>post screencap of his epic tiling wm setup where he wastes roughly 30% of screen real estate on nothing
>>
>>53621228
I have a prefferred size for my browser when im shitposting, too wide and the posts are stretched out, too thin and it feels like im reading fucking reddit or something with those cancer nested posts.

Gaps are just nice when not working, I get a sense of claustrophobia when its completely sealed up
>>
>>53620391
I think a better question is is it possible to navigate 4chan with just a keyboard and come close to the speed of using a mouse? Your WM that can use keyboard shortcuts for everything doesn't mean much if your hand has to be on your mouse all the time for most other tasks.
>>
cwm is my favorite wm

it's all the minimalism of tiling wms, but it has floating windows instead
>>
>>53621297
4chanx has a ton of shortcuts you can use if you use that script. of course you could also use something like luakit or uzbl or even just vimperator (or whatever the current vim bindings extension is)
>>
>>53620391
EXWM improves my workflow because I rarely leave EMACS. I use EMACS as my editer / IDE, as an email client, a web browser, an IRC client, a terminal, I even play chess online through EMACS and listen to my music collection with EMACS. EXWM turns the few GUI programs I run outside of emacs into EMACS buffers. This improves my workflow because I can continue to use the EMACS keybinds I already know to control those buffers, and everything is extensible in ELISP. Another benefit is that I don't have to use a mouse nearly as much.
>>
>>53621325
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1sXuHnf_lo
are you this man?
>>
>>53621325
>a web browser
But you can't shitpost without a 4chan pass, can you?
>>
>>53621337
No, I wish I came up with a dildo emacs mode. Then my life would have meaning.

>>53621343

>>53621343
i don't post from that box for reasons unrelated to tiling managers or emacs
>not sure id i'm just not getting your meme
>>
I prefer to have my workspaces to be in certain window configurations and being able to tab or stack windows in each panel within them
It also seems to make working with lower resolution screens much easier; i hate fucking around with trackpads on laptops
>>
>>53621393
>not sure id i'm just not getting your meme
No meme, it's just that I have yet to find a text mode browser that works with captchas even if it has framebuffer support (I've tried w3m and various versions of Lynx).
>>
>>53621337
Has anyone asked RMS for his opinion on this? Also, nice numbers to go with something like that.
>>
>>53620564
what you're saying makes no sense.
>>
>>53621436
oh, word. well you can post on other chins in EWW (emacs web wowser) without much trouble. I only post onb4chin from this celly.

Further, in reply to OP, EXWM's ELISP extensible hackability is not merely an means to anend but a worthwhile endeavor in itself, particularly if one is a contributor to any such related project or just a happy hacker.
>>
File: out.png (313 KB, 480x1080) Image search: [Google]
out.png
313 KB, 480x1080
>>53621337
neat
>>
>>53620588
Do you really need a screenshot to know what terminal windows and vim instances look like?
>>
>>53621436
btw i know people have do into captchas in text browsers, i haven't bothered to hack that functionality because i don't need or want to myself. probably a good topic for a thread. or IRC channels such as #emacs would be very helpful if you want that functionality or want to contribute to something for that.
>>
>>53621601
further, endchan.xyz/tech/ has a thread up on this topic i believe. people are can postings in text browsers and or tor also w/ out js
>>
File: swift-trademark-swiftmas.gif (426 KB, 400x245) Image search: [Google]
swift-trademark-swiftmas.gif
426 KB, 400x245
>>53621481
she is literally perfect
>>
Which is the best window manager for manual layout management, I want something where I can open windows and choose to split or resize rather than what I'm currently using which is awesome which just maps them to a fixed layout?

I used i3 and that had layout management that I liked, but the lack of a global floating mode to stop all tiling bothered me, anything similar I should try?
>>
>>53621689
Pretty sure you can make all windows float or change the default mode to floating with some scripting in i3.
>>
>>53620391
>tiling
who cares, just set things up in a grid and go full on virtual desktops
even windows 7 has virtual desktops, just no fancy animation when you're switching between them
>>
>>53621689
try rat poison
>no seriously, it's a tiling wm

>>53621745
>mfw he mentions Wangblows
>pic related
>>
>>53621724
you can, i've set it to have feh start floating but you could replace that with ag eneric catchall
>>
File: layout.png (1 MB, 3839x1092) Image search: [Google]
layout.png
1 MB, 3839x1092
>>53620391

Since everyone else in this thread seems far too gay to post an actual picture, here's mine

I'm working on a game which has a client and a server. Both have tabs on the left screen, containing vim and a shell in that directory. The third tab is for the network library.

On the other screen is some random youtube video, IRC, and my remote server running the server program. I need (want) to be seeing ALL those things at once and that's where a tiling WM is very very handy.

In terms of navigation, i normally just use the mouse - the window you mouse over takes focus which makes it super easy to switch. I hope this makes it obvious how tiling can increase productivity.

>>53621724
i3 can definitely do what you want. in all cases.
>>
>>53620391
Is that wtftw windows manager?
>>
>>53622525
Looks like windows 10, how do you do it
>>
>>53623428
which bit looks like windows 10?

i'm interested, it's not offensive because i kind of like how w10 looks
>>
File: screengrab.png (414 KB, 5296x2160) Image search: [Google]
screengrab.png
414 KB, 5296x2160
>>53622525
>Since everyone else in this thread seems far too gay to post an actual picture, here's mine
I can post mine but I can't pretend to be doing real work. Just stumbling my way through some x86 head-first.
>>
>>53620391
I use a tiling wm on my laptop because I don't have multiple screeens, and it's nice to be able to move windows around and resize them quickly without leaving the keyboard or breaking my workflow. At work, I have two screens, so I have more room to put all my shit, and a regular wm is good enough.
>>
>>53620391
I like to detach my gmail chat tab and tile it next to my browser.
It's the only type of wm where multi window software make sense (GIMP, xsane, Matlab, etc...).
You can fullscreen any windowed software.
>>
>>53622525
This.

Any debugging situation is miles better in a tile environment.

MVC or GUI programming benefits here as well.

And tags > workspaces.

For example, a text editor may be tagged in under the (1:Dev) tag which also has a browser and a terminal in the tag. However, this same text editor may be tagged in (2: Research) where another browser or a pdf document is open in. It's very convinient, I would show a webm if I had time.
>>
>>53620391
>alt+tab
>as good as a twm
Hey as long as youre comfortable moving 3 or 4 windows in place with your mouse every time you advance to another work step, im fine with that.
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.