[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>2016 >still waiting for the year of the Linux desktop
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
File: penguin.jpg (84 KB, 250x249) Image search: [Google]
penguin.jpg
84 KB, 250x249
>2016
>still waiting for the year of the Linux desktop when Google is in the process of creating a desktop OS based on Android.

This is Android N’s freeform window mode

>We'll get to the instructions, but first let's talk about what's actually here. Freeform window mode is just what we imagined. It's a dead ringer for Remix OS—multiple Android apps floating around inside windows—and it might be the beginnings of a desktop operating system. It works on Android N phones and tablets, and once the mode is enabled, you'll see an extra button on thumbnails in the Recent Apps screen. To the left of the "X" button that pops up after a second or two, there will be a square shape—the same ugly placeholder art Google used for the split screen mode in the Android M Developer Preview.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/03/this-is-android-ns-freeform-window-mode/

Thank you, Google.

I won't bother installing a Linux distro shilled on /g/ anymore. I will just wait for Google to do it right and make Android work on my existing desktop.
>>
When people say "the year of the linux desktop" they do not mean "anything with the kernel will do"

They mean either

>year of the linux user
Where the entire population undergoes an enlightenment and starts to use nothing but unix-likes, and linux has some natural popularity
or
>year of the OS X linux
Where linux finally gets a good fucking DE and support from one vendor who can bring it to 10% market share at the very least for workstations and laptops
>>
>>53618567
>botnet
no thanks.
>>
>>53619896
no shit
>>
>>53619896
Cinnamon exists now. That's one step complete.
>>
File: images-9.jpg (23 KB, 443x332) Image search: [Google]
images-9.jpg
23 KB, 443x332
>>53620190
This. Android is linux kernel with google botnet user space, I don't want to infect my desktop with that shit! It's okay to use on phones if you compile it yourself or use cyanogen mod to escape the botnet but there's no way I'll ever use it on desktop.
>>
>>53618567
>Trusting google to keep your data safe.
Nice meme.
>>
>>53620190
A botnet is several system(s) that are connected to a main computer. You could make valid points and or cited sources on why you think that android is a botnet, but you resort to meme's to get your point across.

For example: I will cite some sources on why i believe that the android operating system does not respect my privacy or freedoms:
>https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/android-and-users-freedom.en.html

>https://stallman.org/google.html

Please share this information to other /g/ users so that we could hopefully have some serious discussion instead of acting like were on /b/.
>>
>>53618567
That's not GNU/Linux.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.