[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are you ready for VR /g/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6
File: Oculus-Rift-2-1024x576.jpg (38 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
Oculus-Rift-2-1024x576.jpg
38 KB, 1024x576
Are you ready for VR /g/?
>>
I will be once they add touching and smelling

i.e. never
>>
No and I will never ever put this shit on my head.
>>
Got an HTC Vive on the way. Upgraded to GTX-970. Installed Steam. SteamVR doesn't run on Debian Wheezy. Fuck.
>>
>>53618456
why haven't you upgraded to Jessie?
>>
>>53618523
SystemD
>>
>>53618355
In a few years you'll try one, and be like OH... NOW I UNDERSTAND WHAT PEOPLE MEANT
>>
>>53618548
https://wiki.debian.org/systemd#Installing_without_systemd
>>
>>53618269
Waiting for 4K/8K VR.

The only real reason I want VR is for a virtual cinema (VR gaming is a novelty I'll get bored of quickly) and for that you really need a super high resolution. The current 1440p headsets won't cut it.
>>
>>53618269
>>>/v/
SHILL
H
I
L
L
>>
>>53618578
I tried twice, was not impressed. Gaming VR is mostly casual shit. Fast food games are not for me.
For VR I can see USEFUL applications in different fields but definitely not gaming.
>>
i really want one, but I hate the idea of buying a rig just for it
>>
man children /v/
>>
>>53618627
>>53618678
>casuals detected

VR has massive benefits in racing and flight simulation and works with games that already exist.
>>
>>53618795
>middle aged racing/flightsim player calling others casual

lel
>>
Lucid Dreaming > Virtual Reality
>>
Will I finally be able to fuck a anime?
>>
>>53618523
Did the upgrade tonight. SteamVR still no go. Client loads, but not the VR. Running on 64-bit. Maybe it doesn't like that.
>>
>>53618627
I would want that for a virtual cinema too. I got a little taste of what that would be like with Google cardboard and the YouTube app on my phone.

It was like looking at a big projection screen in a movie theater.
>>
>>53618918
yes?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeSbhvThDeg
>>
>>53618269
yes, but I am going to pay max $399 for one of those. i am just waiting for a good ebay deal
>>
>>53618269
fuckin' ayy, HTC vive soon™
>>
>>53618795
maybe for the arcadey bullshit flight simulation, but not the real simulations used for training or even something still enthusiast grade, but complex like PMDG aircraft for FSX
>>
>>53622456
ayyyy me too senpai.
Got an April ship date as well.
>>
File: EA41fwX[1].png (52 KB, 419x819) Image search: [Google]
EA41fwX[1].png
52 KB, 419x819
>>53623370
Fuck, forgot my image.
>>
>>53618795
exactly what am saying bro these fllying shit are the casual thing
>>
>>53618355
Yeah... I don't think I'll be enjoying this either.
>>
>>53623830
This photo makes me sad every time...
I'll stick to the keyboard + mouse masterrace for a few decades...
>>
File: c1.jpg (205 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
c1.jpg
205 KB, 600x450
Vive coming soon to my place.

Im scared though that the Rift may be the better headset in the end.
There have been leaks that Oculus can indeed support comparable roomscale, which was their one Achilles heel.

So now Oculus has the most comfortable headset, less screendoor effect, better finger tracking and exclusive games.
The Vives remaining strengths are all small ones, the camera, mic, chaperone system, longer cables and larger roomscale size.

Id honestly switch to the Rift if I could get the whole package including touch by May.
>>
>>53618694
This.

Also the games that I would love to play in VR are not supported and most likely will never be since no one will care about porting 5 years old games.
>>
>>53622456
wait, why the fuck does the benchtest program weight almost 2GB?
>>
>>53618678
>Fast food games are not for me.

>implying things like CounterStrike, DotA, LoL, and any other pick-up-and-play competitive game aren't fast food

If anything, short and sweet story-driven games meant to be played once as a unique experience equates to a unique fine-dining experience.
>>
>>53618627

Doing the same. I was serously thinking of getting a 3D TV years ago, but decided to wait to see if home movies were going that route.

Let every one else be the lab rats for VR. If it's a success, the price will come dowm. 4/8k is the sweet spot.
>>
>>53624053
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpWz_LcPXrI
I think the better tracking system and not supporting exclusive facebook crap is worth bro, also all games will have motion controls available whereas rift is going to focus on controller games.
>>
Not quite
I'm gonna wait about 6 months or so to see which gets more vidya support
I don't really give a shit about all this low budget vr games that are coming out at launch
>>
>>53620592
VR is a no-go on Linux. They said they are "working on it".
>>
>>53624458
It's actually just the old Portal Robot Repair demo. And bloat.
>>
File: bort.png (62 KB, 183x265) Image search: [Google]
bort.png
62 KB, 183x265
>>53618269
YES! I've picked the Vive, have a titan-x and an i7 cpu so my computer will beast out anything vr related. really excited to be honest
>>
>>53624695
it takes 32k to get 'retina' PPI, and that's at only 100 degrees FOV

although I think we're likely to see some sort of DLP system that can follow the eyes instead of jacking up the resolution to insane levels
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.