[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Budget graphics and budget CPU
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: motherboard.jpg (971 KB, 4160x3120) Image search: [Google]
motherboard.jpg
971 KB, 4160x3120
Hey there /g/anons.

Please do not laugh at the question because I am complete moron when it comes to current technologies.

What I want to do is to upgrade my current, 5yo rig (or maybe 6 actually) with new graphics card and a new CPU if necessary.

I have:
AMD athlon II x4 635 CPU
8GB of RAM (not sure of the manufacturer, threw off the box some few years ago)
AMD Radeon HD 6770 (bought a while later than the rig itself because the previous one got rekt)
A gigabyte motherboard (attached the picture of it) with AM2+ and AM3 socket (as you can see it's written on the component) but I am not sure of it's exact model and name, since I have also lost the box when I moved. If it helps, the gigabyte logo on the radiator is blue, the plastic something around the CPU socket is orange, and there are 6 slots to plug the hard drive just below the RAM slots.

Budget is mediocre. I could maybe afford top tier components, but I hesitate since I do not play games as much as I used to, and I only need these parts to run some new games smooth. Other than that the rig works fine and I would not change it (well, maybe the fan on the CPU since it roars like a lion). I would pick the parts that would let me play my games without issues and with stable 50 fps on high, even if it would go outdated within a year.

So, can you recommend anything? Bonus points for office software running faster, but this rig would be mainly for video games.
>>
Pentium g598 overclockrd or i3 6100 if you dont wanna overclock
R9 280x
>>
>>53617155
Thanks for the answer, but the socket is for AMD CPU as far as I understand.
>>
Also, will it be possible to buy a processor for AM2+ or AM3 socket + a better GPU that will not be restricted by it?

I will probably no longer need a better computer after this upgrade, so I don't want to buy a full rig, but that's also an option.
>>
www.logicalincreaments.com
On tight budgets you might want to look at second hand gpu has the price to proformance is way better
>>
>>53617225
Cool. Upgrade the mobo too.

And also go to sqt next time
>>
>>53617106
Check your local craigslist or gumtree or whatever it is you have in your country. Can get some really good deals on 6 core phenom II cpus and older graphics cards.

Check your motherboards compatible cpu list. Should be on gigabytes website (speccy should tell you your mothebroard model number). Search for one of the better cpus your motherboard supports.

Won't be like a brand new i5 + r9 390 build, but can get a nice upgrade for less than the cost of a brand new Core i3, and much cheaper than getting a new motherboard for that i3.

This is how I kept my LGA775 system going for nearly 10 years.
>>
File: 1450288793594.jpg (109 KB, 600x656) Image search: [Google]
1450288793594.jpg
109 KB, 600x656
>>53617106
If you really wanna a few bucks get a Haswell i5 and not a Skylake that way you can still use your DDR3 RAM and don't need to buy DDR4.

Get that i5 for a little less than $200 and then grab a R9 380X with the cheapest motherboard you can find and you''ll be good for years.
>>
>>53617106
new chips come out soon, come back in two months roughly
>>
>>53617106
You can use speecy to find all the parts, manufacturer, model and specs of your PC. If it's 5-6 years old, just upgrade the gpu. If you really want to upgrade the cpu, you'll need to scour your local second hand sites to get a top of the line cpu that'll still fit your socket (you can figure this out with the model of cpu speccy shows and what socket that model is). If you do want to go for a newer cpu, you're gonna have to bite the bullet and get a new motherboard. If you're doing that, you may as well get ddr4.
>>
File: 1403837987365.png (48 KB, 400x389) Image search: [Google]
1403837987365.png
48 KB, 400x389
>"rig"
>>
>>53617709
I am not native english speaker, please no bully.

>>53617693
So I could skip upgrading the CPU? I thought a weak CPU is a bottleneck for the GPU. If that's not true, then I don't really need to upgrade the CPU.
I just want to run witcher 3 smooth and have better fps in gta online.

My current hardware is capable of running witcher on low + pleb res and gta online with stable 30 fps but also on low and pleb res.

If I can get to 1080p with medium to high and still get like 30+ fps then I'm all happy.
>>
>>53617693
Looks like phenom II x4 965 is the best I can do.

Although it also says that it supports AMD phenom FX. But all of the phenom FXes I can see in the http://www.logicalincrements.com/ are using AM3+, while the motherboard only supports AM3 / AM2+ / AM2. Does it mean I can plug AM3+ in or not?
>>
>>53617856
Gotta figure out the limitations of your motherboard. If it supports Phenom II X6 1090t or similar and you find one cheap in your local area, you can probably get away without spending much mor than 100 dollars in total for both the CPU and graphics card.

Don't know how well GTA5 and The Witcher 3 would run on such hardware tho.

If you buy new today, you'll end up with older hardware anyways, and I don't think GTA5 will run that great on a dual core pentium or i3, if cheap new hardware is what you're looking for.

Those Phenom II X6 CPUs can be a bit expensive on ebay, but I've seen some really cheap ones in my local area.

Used hardware comes without warranty tho. Could easily end up spending 40 bucks on something that doesn't even work right (The GTX 660 I got recently was like that, certain games crashed when played with that specific card).

Make sure your motherboard can handle it before you buy anything.

Another possibility is to get a new graphics card (R9 380, R9 390, GTX 970, on sale if possible), and see if you can find a cheap used CPU. Can keep using the graphics card when you upgrade the motherboard and CPU later.
>>
>>53618066
What is your motherboard?
>>
6300, gtx 280, any cheap am3 gigabyte mobo
>>
>>53618137
>6300
If a Phenom II X6 1090T works with the current motherboard, OP wouldn't even need a new motherboard. Doesn't look like there is much of a performance difference between the higher end X6 CPUs and the 6300.
>>
best phenom you can get used and cheap.

280x
>>
>>53618116
GA-M720-US3 NVIDIA nForce 720D Chipset if speecy is correct.
>>
>>53618246
Looks like the best 6 core you can get is a Phenom II X6 1055T (95W) with the latest BIOS. An X4 could be ok too, if one of those is substantially cheaper.

http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support-popup.aspx?pid=3006
>>
>>53618331

AMD Phenom Quad-Core 9850 BOX Black Edition
Socket AM2+ | 125W | 65nm

Will this be ok? It's cheaper. What about the GPU? Can I pick basicly anything that I want?
>>
>>53618419
Look up sites like cpuboss and such to give a general idea how how two parts stack up against each other.

I'd probably go for an AM3 CPU since the board supports it. Something like a 960T or similar. Gotta compare a lot of parts to find one that performs better than what you have already and is still cheap.

Often used parts are priced by their rarity, not by their performance. So you can end up with a part that performs less than 5% better, but it still twice as expensive. Get the best part for as little money as possible.
>>
>>53617225
Yeah but you should really get a new motherboard, AM3+ is dead and outdated. Z97/Z170 is fine or wait for AMD Zen.
>>
Anyone got any good ideas for a decent emulation build that would fit in a BitFenix Prodigy M (Vivid Green) case?
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.