[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What possible reason would compel someone to operate an exit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: unnamed.png (22 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.png
22 KB, 300x300
What possible reason would compel someone to operate an exit relay? How does this even work, is anyone really that stupid?
>>
>What possible reason would compel someone to operate an exit relay?
They want to support tor and help the performance of the network. If you have skills and server space, it is one ways in which you can contribute.

>How does this even work
You run the tor client in exit relay mode. Preferably on a system with a fat pipe like a server in a server farm.

>is anyone really that stupid?
Despite the rumor mill, nobody in the western world has gotten in real trouble from running a relay. A few people got raided before people understood what tor is, but that time has passed. Most of the trouble comes from abuse complaints for people torrenting or spamming through the relay, but that can be stopped with a little configuration of the relay.

A lot of the really illegal stuff (CP, carding/hacking, drugs) on the tor network happens on onion sites. Since these connections never leave the tor network, they don't make use of exit nodes, so they have nothing to do with your relay. Relay nodes are only for connecting to the regular internet through tor so you can't access anything through an exit node that you couldn't from a regular browser.

Here are some links to the tor project about the legal side of things:
https://www.torproject.org/eff/tor-legal-faq.html.en
https://blog.torproject.org/blog/tips-running-exit-node-minimal-harassment
>>
Also, some libraries are adding exit nodes to their networks.
>>
>>53615933
/thread
>>
So you can scan the node intercept cp +ip, report to fbi, making this world a better place.
>>
>>53615974
My school runs a Tor exit node. Operates at a gigabit or something.
>>
>>53616955
Wish my school would do that, my school is ran by wincucks
>>
File: 37b.png (323 KB, 400x504) Image search: [Google]
37b.png
323 KB, 400x504
>>53615714
So you don't know how it work and you call people doing it stupid.
>>
If you're running an exit node, is it possible for other servers to tell whether traffic is coming from Tor or from your own computer?
>>
>>53615714
I was exit in the past, to sniff the traffic.
>>
>>53615714
I don't think it's a good idea for a single person on a home connection to run an exit node, hell no.

Even if they had good intentions and wanted to help out 3rd world countries who have restricted freedoms, they'd be putting themselves at high risk.

However research institutions and universities? Sure. Tor will probably be completely compromised by 2020 though.
>>
>>53618729
>>>53615714 (OP)
>I was exit in the past, to sniff the traffic.
So, caught anything good?
>>
>>53618766
people use tor for illegal shit.
no fucking surprises there.

it's not as if NSA isn't already observing 80% exit nodes.
>>
>>53618729
can you explain the sniffing process?
>>
Anyone else's IP is throttling their tor speeds? I didn't realize mine was until a few months ago.
>>
>>53615933
>Since these connections never leave the tor network, they don't make use of exit nodes, so they have nothing to do with your relay
Incorrect, they exit trough the exit nodes + 3 additional hops.
>>
>>53615933
>Since these connections never leave the tor network, they don't make use of exit nodes, so they have nothing to do with your relay.

I actually never knew that.
>>
>>53615933
This is a nice post.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.