[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we get a little Debian General? I really like the idea behing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 5
File: GodSaveTheQueen.png (107 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
GodSaveTheQueen.png
107 KB, 600x600
Can we get a little Debian General?

I really like the idea behing it, i like the idea of a rock solid distribution to learn about the GNU/Linux world and i really cant think of any other distro that represent this same idea.

Now, Debian has his flaws of course, old packages, no propietary software where its need it (GPU, CPU f.e.) and the same old song about its a server distro that i think it has his points.

So....why do you use Debian?
what do you do when you finish installing it?
Do you use as a desktop distro? as a server? why?
Why do you think there is not other distro that aims on stability and safety?
Its stability overrated?

I would like to discuss whit you about Debian and his strengs and weakness
>>
I wanna try debĂ­an , i am a noobuntu. Is really more difficult debian?
>>
>>53615091
The stability is not overrated.
If you really need your computer it's nice knowing that it won't be fucked after a single update.
>>
>>53615212
If you can follow written instructions, no.
>>
>>53615091
>systemd
Enjoy your botnet.
>>
>>53615489
>/nsa/SELinux
>>
>>53615091
>General
You new here?
>>
>>53615091
>Its stability overrated?
99% of /g/ has no fucking idea what stability in a linux distribution actually means.
>>
>>53615091
I've tried to use debian, but I never can do it for more than a few days, for starters the lack of sudo and non-free repos out of the box it's a real let down, also packages are too old for me, even on testing, I should try sid, but it just make me want to stick to any distribution that's actually thought to be rolling release and not just a test unstable branch.
>>
>>53615759
because adding the words contrib and nonfree to /etc/apt/sources.list is so hard ?
and sudo is useless anyway. no idea why ubuntu babys rely on it so hard.
debians testing and unstable branches are rolling release branch.
>>
>>53615759
>>>53615091 (OP)
>the lack of sudo and non-free repos out of the box it's a real let down,
This is litterly just installing the sudo package and adding non-free to your sources.list.
>also packages are too old for me
Backports, or use a different distro if you don't care for this much stability.
>even on testing, I should try sid
Never use testing or sid for production environments. Use backports, or resort to a different distro.
>but it just make me want to stick to any distribution that's actually thought to be rolling release and not just a test unstable branch.
Debian is obviously not for you, but that's perfectly fine though. There are plenty of other distributions with more up to date packages.
>>
>>53615091
>I would like to discuss whit you about Debian and his strengs and weakness
Debian's spelling-checker is quite good.
>>
File: 0005.gif (18 KB, 128x128) Image search: [Google]
0005.gif
18 KB, 128x128
>>53615091
Debian is stable as fuck. I ran it for a year and it was nice. My only complaints are the systemd and the gnu-attitude. I am running slackware which now has pulseaudio and is no longer stable because pat v went full retard. So, yeah, I am thinking of returning to Debian. I miss it. Debian just works!
>>
Can you download the debian wiki as a package to read offline?
>>
File: Manjaro 1.png (31 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Manjaro 1.png
31 KB, 1920x1080
I only use it for servers. On the desktop I'm a 100% Manjaro shitlord.
>>
>>53615836
>sudo is useless anyway
Don't be a retard
>>
>>53615091
Slackware > Debian
Especially if you're new and want to learn
>>
>>53617595
clearly the purist only uses bourne shell and the original systemv components.
>>
>>53617610
>Slackware
is it 2005?
>>
>>53617678
Slackware all up in my neighbors ass crack
>>
>>53615489
How could I change it out for init? I know init really needs and update&&upgrade but what other choice do we have :/
>>
File: eyeye.jpg (2 KB, 120x125) Image search: [Google]
eyeye.jpg
2 KB, 120x125
>>53617443
>Debian just works!
>just works
jus werks
>fixed
>>
I grew up on debian and used it from age 14 till 24 then suddenly my old PC stopped working properly with it, they were changing up drivers and shit for no reason and all sorts of stuff that started making my old PC have hardware glitches. So I ended up moving to Ubuntu and I'm just as happy with it.
>>
It's the swiss army knife of linux distributions.

I use it with MATE/i3 and it's easily the best OS experience I've ever had.
>>
>>53615759
>>53615836
>they don't know how to sudo in Debian
Damn... That's retarded.
>>
I don't understand this Debian is the stablest distro meme. I mean, Gentoo is stable, if not more stable than Debian when both are with default setups.
>>
Is Debian viable for desktop usage? I'm looking to switch from Windows to something Linux that doesn't have shitty Steam game support.
>>
>>53615489
Explain how systemd is a botnet or violates your privacy in any-way.
the only thing it does is throw the unix philoso-rapter-jesus in the trash. Stop spewing FUD when you know nothing about an INIT system or how it works.
>Using sysvinit
enjoy your DEPRECATED SOFTWARE.

A botnet in basic terms is several systems which is controlled by a master system. Stop spewing /g/ memes.
>>
>>53615759
su -
Password:
root@debian:~#
>>
>>53620497
>Logging into root just for a simple package install
Are you retarded?
>>
>>53615759
>lack of sudo and non-free repos out of the box
All you have to do is not enter a root password during the installer and sudo is enabled.
>>
>>53620749
At the expense of making a root account.
Not a worthy trade off. Debian and Arch basically force you to deal with visudo
>>
>>53620738
Has more security that way.
How often do you install packages anon?
>>
>>53620762
Back when i used sudo i just used nano.
How fucked was i?
>>
>>53620406
Just get fucking Ubuntu
>>
>>53615091
What's the advantage of Debian over using the Ubuntu minimal CD? Debian doesn't have thr advantage of having a software respitory as big as Ubuntu's lauchpad or the AUR from Arch Linux.

I don't feel like manually compiling and updating a lot of "non-free" software I want to install all the time.
>>
>>53620789
In my experience it's usually fine, but using visudo is probably the smart thing to do.
>>53620776
No it fucking doesn't. Never log into root unless its 100% required.
Listen, Debian has a lot of good things going for them, but stop justifying their downfalls. They're not your family nor are they paying you.
>>
>>53615091
I use debian because as a novice web developer I couldn't get django working with heroku on my pc. Debian is perfect for deploying, plus vim is really nice for editing files on the fly. I really like the idea of having a debian general thread. I would love to learn more and hear from others who use debian.
>>
>>53620804
I might, if it seriously comes down to being the best option, but it's bloated and they've bundled adware in the past(Is it still included?), so it's not my first choice. Debian would be my preference, since Debian based distros make up most of market share. openSUSE is probably my next choice, or Mint.
>>
>>53620815
But my root password is quite secure in my eyes. Not that i'm going to release details about it lel.

Not justifying anything, I just believe having a non-privileged user is smarter then having a non-privileged user that can become root as easy as using there insecure password and typing 4 letters.

From a security standpoint, This makes sense, Does it not? the only problem's that i have encountered while using root was logging into X as root (this was when i was new to GNU/Linux) However, Using the root account is very risky, as one command could indeed fuck over your system. So as you said: "only use root when you fucking need too"
>>
>>53620809
There's no reason in using Debian unless you need the stability for servers for a workplace machine. It doesn't really work for general use unless you really have a fetish for years old software.
Ubuntu is more up to date but has a fuck ton of cancer and is willing to spy on you.
If you want a general use distro that you install once and has easy maintenance I would recommend Arch/ an easy arch installer (if you're a faggot).
Slackware current is also a good way to get an easy to install desktop going while learning.
>>
>>53620911
If that's the case then there's nothing stopping you from making an un-privilaged user while having an administrator account with sudo.
Linux and UNIX are literally made for shit like this anon. Don't fuck it up
>>
>>53620892
There was never any adware. Unity Dash used to send search data to amazon for analytics. Still do, Will be removed in the next release.
>sources
>http://www.pcworld.com/article/2840401/ubuntus-unity-8-desktop-removes-the-amazon-search-spyware.html

>https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/ubuntu-spyware.en.html

I'd use debian desu senpai
>>
>>53620933
Why would i use an administrator account to use the original administrator account to do administrative things?
>>
>>53620971
An admin account with sudo is not the same as a root account.
Stop being retarded
>>
>>53620949
Wait, seriously? I knew they had a thing that was sending stuff to Amazon, but I thought that it was being used to display ads for products. Was it seriously only sending data and not returning ads? That's somehow worse to me. I mean, it might not affect the user, but they're not even TRYING to pretend to provide a service to the user, or doing it solely for the sales, they were just flat out spying? Fuck that noise.
>>
>>53620738
>>53620815
It only seems that you don't like it and you're throwing a baby fit about it.

It's not justifying it, it's better that way.
>>
>>53620999
Just use xubuntu. The cancer is mostly contained to unity anyway, the rest is fine.
>>
>>53620999
Why do you think people hate ubongo so much now?
>>53621012
>Literally the first rule of UNIX and UNIX-like systems
>Can't think of an argument so you use a strawman
Fuck off. You have no clue what you're talking about. I laugh my ass of thinking of morons like you logging into root to regular shit.
>>
>>53621037
>I laugh my ass of thinking of morons like you
You sound like every caricature of a linux user.

>logging into root to regular shit
That never happens.
>>
>>53621046
Anything that isn't a massive system alteration is regular shit
And no, as a sysadmin I have to deal with retards like you on a daily basis. I used to get mad but I stopped giving a fuck
>>
>>53615447
This. Any distro is easy if you know how to read. A newbie can install arch if they don't have adhd and read the wiki
>>
>>53620461
found the newfag
>>
>>53621430
>Calls me a newfag
>No description on why i am a newfag, Nor how systemd is not a """botnet"""
Thanks for proving my point :)
>>
>>53621430
I know you're trying to "fit in" but what you just said doesn't make any fuckin sense.
Fuck off wanker
>>
i cant get my audio to work on debian what do i do
>>
>>53621550
upgrade to windows 10
>>
>>53621550
install gnome then use the audio applet to make it work. :^)
>>
File: ALSA.png (62 KB, 716x250) Image search: [Google]
ALSA.png
62 KB, 716x250
>>53621550
>>
>>53615489
systemd is the default init, not the only one.
>>
>>53621559
>>53621569
>>53621624
haha funny but seriously the only sound i get is when i press backspace and it makes a loud ass beep i can't get rid of, i installed alsa and it didnt do anything
>>
>>53621704
alsamixer in alsa-utils is a neat tool for unmuting the master sound (its mute by default)

Not trying to be sassy I just have literally no idea what your setup is like.
>>
>>53621046
installing programs and editing config files is regular shit. An ideal scenario is log in as a user without sudo as your every-day and then su into an account with sudo to do your package managing, startup services, etc.

Your root password is amazing until you get a keylogger or something else manages to take advantage of an open terminal logged in as root
>>
>>53621803
But how can i get a keylogger if i only use well known software in the official repo? I mean, Anything is possible but highly unlikely.
>>
>>53615091

I use Debian on servers and desktop.

At work: Jessie
On servers: Wheezy, Jessie (+Squeeze I have to migrate)

At home: Debian Sid, which is in my opinion the nicest rolling release distribution available. It's as up-to-date as Arch or Gentoo unstable. And it doesn't break every other day on updates or is a pain to babyseat.

Debian has its issues, systemd for one, but also preseed (if you want to automate the install process).

Some parts seem to be a little weird at first, for example reportbug, a bug reporting tool bases on email (yet what they've built around it seems quite interesting). The debian packaging is quite weird when you've used .spec (rpm), but it's also very powerful (all the dh_helpers are really nice).

Debian has a shit ton of packages, is rock solid and well maintained. It's truly the most mature distribution out there.
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.