[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Remind me why does /g/ hate Java and Python? (note that I never
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2
File: 1455010385350.jpg (342 KB, 565x821) Image search: [Google]
1455010385350.jpg
342 KB, 565x821
Remind me why does /g/ hate Java and Python?
(note that I never used Java and Python)
>>
java - VerboseFactoryFactoryImplementation

python significant
white space
>>
>>53613954
>VerboseFactoryFactoryImplementation
Just a little bit more explanation what this means anon
>significant
white space
something like Ruby?
>>
>>53613954
i agree on java being way too verbose
i don't like python much because there are many parts where it's not very consistent, it's just not an elegant language. i do like the use of whitespace tho, i think that's cool
>>
>>53614309
and also python has one of the best ecosystems around, many scientific libraries there are just amazing. i don't think any other language comes close when doing math/cs stuff
>>
>>53614387
what about pentesting/general hacking/cracking stuff?
>>
>>53614458
I don't know but it's great for scientific computing, which is why /g/ hates it; hardly anyone on here even knows what a Fourier series is, and most "programmers" here have no use for the multitude of numerical computation, matrix manipulation, and plotting libraries in python
>>
>>53614458
this is probably not a popular opinion but at this point i prefer nodejs for general purpose scripting.
there's just less to write and npm has a shit ton of useful libraries.
>>
>>53614547
just don't
go pls
>>
>Java
>com.sun.java.swing.plaf.nimbus.InternalFrameInternalFrameTitlePaneInternalFrameTitlePaneMaximizeButtonWindowNotFocusedState
>>
>>53613945
They're popular and widely used.
>>
>>53614458
well many scripts for those purposes are written in python, also nsa uses python for cryptanalysis
>>
>>53614667
>and it's a singleton
>>
>>53613945
Java is slow and ugly, lots of forced OOP.
Python is made for people who aren't good at programming, simplified to the point where it's not usable to good programmers. Also slow and ugly.
>>
>>53614724
How do you force OOP? :/
>>
>>53614724
> python
> made for people not good at programing
> used by nsa and nasa
4/10, try harder next time
>>
>>53613983
Java is known for it's extremely verbose syntax.

White space in python matters. Control flow is indicated through indentation, so the difference between what's in an if statement and what isn't is an indent at the beginning.
>>
>>53614826
Pls contribute with counter-arguments so I can extract meaningful info and build general picture about the language.
>>
>>53613945
I don't like Java because it's an extremely verbose language. It's "enterprise-y" and not much fun to write in.

I love Python. I can throw something together extremely quickly, and there's libraries for just about anything. Most people don't like Python because "it's too slow" or "it teaches bad habits."
>>
Java is a less modern version of C#, so unless you target potatoes, you shouldn't use it anyway.
Though in my opinion verbosity is not such a bad thing once you take a look at C and posix programming.
I'd rather use "ExecuteFunctionOnEveryFileInTree" than "ftw" if the code is supposed to be readable.
>>
>>53613945
Python is awesome!
>quick development like bash
>built-in dicts like awk
>simple get started with like basic

Unfortunately, some people try to use it as a general purpose language and write large applications in it.

Java is awesome
>safer than C++
>sandboxable
>well defined semantics
>runs on different platforms
>best OO language of 1995

Unfortunately, people still use it even though other languages have long since surpassed it.
>>
>>53614667
Internal frame
internal frame,
title pane
internal frame.

title pane
maximize button,
window not focused state
>>
>>53615051
Because most people in /g/ don't realise that one of a language's greatest asset is the tooling and 3rd party library availability it has, and frankly java has some of the best of both.
>>
>>53615051
interesting, thanks anon
It seems that whole world uses languages not because they are better but because it was first/popular.
Seems weird that whole world completely disregards the technicalities when they build new stuff...
>>
>>53613945
because they like reinventing the wheel
>>
>>53613945
Java because it's bloated, Python because of it's community.
>>
>>53614826
:^)
>>
>>53614546
>scientific computing, which is why /g/ hates it
ya I've noticed a few people on /g/ seem to have a superiority complex if they are self taught.
>>
>>53614864
I honestly prefer indentation to a mess of brackets everywhere. Looks a lot cleaner and more legible.
>>
>>53615457

Select the bit below, dumbass
>>
>>53617114
astyle -n --indent=spaces=2 --convert-tabs --style=linux *.c
astyle -n --indent=spaces=2 --convert-tabs --style=linux *.h
astyle --recursive -n --indent=spaces=2 --convert-tabs --style=linux *.java
>>
>>53617199
I don't understand what this is. Some kind of config file?
>>
>>53617222
Make your source look how you want it to look.
>>
BC python community is very sjw friendly and generally hipsterfags
>>
>>53617199
Do u even 4chan?
>>
>>53617281
Yeah... not enough drinks to be an asshole yet...
>>
Hating Java is a meme. The Java Virtual Machine is ridiculously fast (on par with native languages) and can be really elegant too.

>>53613954
This only applies to Spring and Java EE. Modern Java frameworks and libraries are pretty elegant.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.